![]() |
| (Image from Pinterest) |
WARNING: THIS POST HAS CONTENT THAT MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME READERS. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!
THIS POST IS A CONTINUATION OF THE BLOG POST TITLED, "I AM NO LONGER BEING AN ACTIVIST IN THE SAME WAY THAT I WAS, PART 5" (WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN THE PREVIOUS POST NO. 153). AND IT HAS ALL OF THE UPDATES WRITTEN FROM MAY 2024 TO JUNE 2024
I Am No Longer Being An Activist
In The Same Way That I Was, Part 6
Due to being stressed out—and until further notice—I am no longer being an 'Online Activist' in the same way that I was before, which includes no longer signing petitions from political, social, environmental and charitable organizations, as well as no longer making donations to political, social, environmental and charitable causes the same way that I was in the past. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS.) And so, I am consciously choosing to not engage in any 'activism,' however, I am still planning to exercise my 'civic duty' by voting in upcoming elections.
Now, to clarify something: I cannot edit my blog post titled, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," which can be found on my "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" blog—for an unknown reason—as of May 11th, 2026. So, any editing that I have tried to do on this blog post, after May 11th, for some reason won't save...
…Although, on June 20th, 2026, I thought to relocate all of the 2026 updates from my original blog post, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," to my newer "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was, Part 2." You see, I had created this 'Part 2' blog post as a backup post, because there was a period of time when the original blog post kept being unpublished by Blogger for being too 'spammy'—I am guessing because of all the hyperlinks that I was providing for news articles that I was referring to my readers!
Anyway, that relocation of the 2026 updates seemed to have worked in getting the original blog post to be "editable" again, at least temporarily...
...But, then, later on that same day, I tried to add some additional text to the post and it would not save again! However, at least this time, instead of just saying that the "Update failed," it specifically stated, "The body is too large." Thus, I am assuming the 'unknown reason' that I stopped being able to edit the original post on May 11th was because I had—apparently—reached some sort of blog post size threshold!
So now, I am thinking of editing out most of the news updates, which I wrote on that original post, because those updates weren't nearly as pertinent to my "Online Activism" as was responding to the text message, email, and regular mail communications that I was receiving from various political, progressive and charitable organizations.
And, below, please find relevant quotes from a series of 'updates' that highlight the most important changes to my current activism, which are titled as follows:
▪ [A Quote From My] March 7th, 2017 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] November 5th, 2018 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] September 16th, 2021 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] November 10th, 2021 Update, Written On November 11th, 2021
▪ [A Quote From My] March 13th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] March 16th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] March 17th, 2022 Update, Which Also Discusses March 16th, 2022
▪ [A Quote From My] April 3rd, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 12th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued Further, Written On June 17th, 2022
▪ [A Quote From My] June 17th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022
▪ [A Quote From My] July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On July 27th, 2022)
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2023 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2023 Update—Continued
▪ [A Quote From My] November 6th, 2024 Update No. 1
▪ [A Series of Excerpts From My] April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 and
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On April 17th, 2026) [My Writing About How I Restarted Donating To The USO (United Service Organizations) As Of April 2026], as well as
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 2, Written On April 19th, 2026), in addition to
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 3, Written On May 17th, 2026) [My Writing About How I Restarted Donating To The USO (United Service Organizations) As Of April 2026, Part 2], and finally,
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 4, Written On June 15th, 2026, Which Also Discusses June 14th, 2026)
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] March 7th, 2017 Update: "This update is a follow-up to my 'November 2nd, 2016 Update,' where I explained, in part, that I am no longer being an 'Online Activist' in the same way that I was before, which includes no longer signing petitions from political, social, environmental and charitable organizations, as well as no longer making donations to political, social, environmental and charitable causes the same way that I was in the past. I wanted to clarify the fact that I do still donate to homeless folks where I live, as a way of giving 'alms to the poor.' And I also donate to charitable organizations that are fundraising through local stores at which I shop, as well as to charities that may be fundraising on the street. Besides that, I also sometimes donate to charities that send me 'free gifts enclosed' (such as calendars, greeting cards, key chains, etc.) when they are asking for a donation. Thus, I occasionally utilize one of those 'free gifts enclosed,' and so I send them a donation if I do!"
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] November 5th, 2018 Update: "I wanted to explain to you the way that I have changed how I vote! And, in order to explain how I changed, please let me quote myself—specifically from my July 1st, 2012 post titled, 'For the Year 2012 — My Posting Sabbatical, Part 2,' which is published on my 'Small All White in the Forest' and 'Poet, Artist and Philosopher' blogs:
My Writing About How I Vote: When I vote, I typically consider the recommendations of various organizations, news publications, as well as election 'political mailers' and, then, I decide whose recommendations for, or against, each candidate or ballot measure make the most sense. Plus, I usually always vote for Democrats. And that's how democracy rolls in this house! –Paul Whiting (written October 28th, 2012 and revised November 8th, 2022)
Now, that quote still applies to how I vote; however, in 2018, I decided to not just read voter recommendations of 'various organizations, news publications, as well as election 'political mailers.'' Instead, I read news publications during the entire year. And, in that way, I can be a more informed voter, as well as a more informed citizen, throughout the year! And, thusly, when it comes to voting on Election Day, I have spent the entire year preparing to vote and have not been preparing only when it's time to vote. And, just to clarify, for some publications, I still only read their voter recommendation editions when I am preparing to vote."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] September 16th, 2021 Update: "I wanted to let you know that I have started subscribing to news organizations, which I can afford given my monthly spending budget (the reader should know that I am HIV-positive and that I have full-blown AIDS; plus, I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited), since I have a smart phone again, after years of only having a feature phone.
So, I subscribe to the news organizations whose news articles I read the most, based upon Google news searches that I do in order to keep up with the news! Thus, I scan the titles of the most popular articles and then I read the articles that I feel are the most relevant.
And I am reading news organizations' articles during the entire year, so that I can be a more informed voter, as well as a more informed citizen, which is how I am being an activist these days along with how I spend my money.
You see, I figured out that 'putting my money where my mouth is'—in terms of being a 'Conscious Consumer,' who is aware of how my spending habits affect the entire planet and all of its inhabitants—is the best way for me to be an activist, in addition to keeping up with the news and making sure that I vote!"
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] November 10th, 2021 Update, Written On November 11th, 2021: "I signed up on Charity Navigator to make donations for holidays, special occasions, or current issues, to highly-rated charities..."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] March 13th, 2022 Update: "I have started donating to Democrats on a regular basis again, because I recently signed a petition regarding saving the United States Postal Service and then I made a political donation! And that's basically the first political petition that I have signed and/or political donation that I have made since around November of 2016.
You see, I am a 'Democratic Activist!' And I think that the Republicans know who I am—and they DO NOT like me—which is basically why I stopped signing political petitions and/or making political donations right before the November 2016 Election, when I created this 'I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was' post on my 'Poet, Artist and Philosopher' blog.
Thus, I was afraid that the Republicans might retaliate against me in some way, depending upon what type of activism I was engaged in, if they were in control of both Congress and the White House. And I also feared that once the Republicans won Congress and the White House that they would try to turn America into an oligarchy!
And, after the January 6th, 2021 Capitol Attack, my fears were confirmed. [Or, it was the January 6th, *1776* 'normal tourist group'; or, the insurrectionists that attacked the Capitol Complex—in order to stop the certification of Joe Biden's win—were really 'Antifa' protestors; or, they were Black Lives Matter protestors; or, they were paid actors and actresses; or, in all actuality, they were incited by ('Gasp!') the FBI. Regardless, however, it was clearly 'a false flag operation' designed to make President Donald J. Trump 'look bad'—like he needs any assistance doing that!]
Therefore, I am trying to stay informed about what is happening in politics again, especially due to the upcoming 2022 Midterm Elections. So, I am trying to help Democrats win, because I am greatly concerned about the Republicans retaking both the House and Senate of Congress, and eventually retaking the White House, since Republicans are acting like Radical Christian Terrorists!"
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] March 16th, 2022 Update: "I made charitable donations today, March 16th, 2022, to multiple charitable organizations via Charity Navigator for the 'Crisis in Ukraine' after I watched three videos on YouTube titled, 'Zelenskyy: Peace Talks Between Ukraine And Russia 'Sound More Realistic'' and 'Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy delivers virtual address to the U.S. Congress — 3/16/22,' in addition to 'Ukrainian President Zelenskyy Calls For Assistance In Virtual Address to Congress.' For, I am greatly concerned about this act of war against Ukraine!"
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] March 17th, 2022 Update, Which Also Discusses March 16th, 2022: "I made a donation today, March 17th, 2022, as well as yesterday, March 16th, 2022, to the USO (United Service Organizations). You see, I received a text message yesterday, March 16th, 2022, from the USO, which stated the following:
USO: Sorry to interrupt, but as war unfolds in Ukraine, thousands of U.S. troops are deployed in Eastern Europe to support NATO allies.
We still need 76?2+ more Americans to sign our card by midnight to thank them for their sacrifices -- and your name is missing. Will you sign now?***
And so, I filled out that survey yesterday, March 16th, 2022, and then I made a one-time donation to the USO via Charity Navigator as part of the charitable donations that I made yesterday for the 'Crisis in Ukraine,' which I explained in my 'March 16th, 2022 Update.'
And then today, March 17th, 2022, I received an email from the USO with the subject line, 'TAKE THE QUIZ: How many military terms do you know?', which stated the following:
HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW YOUR MILITARY LINGO?
TAKE THE QUIZ »***
Paul: From the National Guard to the Marines, each branch of our military uses different phrases to quickly pass important information to their fellow service members.
We know you're a dedicated patriot, so this quiz is perfect for you. Have some fun testing yourself on how well you understand the jargon our troops are using every day!
Take our 60-second quiz to test your knowledge of all kinds of military words and phrases.
TAKE THE QUIZ »***
Good luck!
The USO
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And so, after I took the quiz, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website. Plus, I also included a monthly donation in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel..."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] April 3rd, 2022 Update: "I keep changing the way that I donate to Democratic political organizations based upon three basic factors: Factor Number One, I am trying to stay within some kind of 'monthly donating budget' of how much I can give within each month (the reader should know that I am HIV-positive and that I have full-blown AIDS; plus, I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited); Factor Number Two, I am trying to donate as often as I can manage for each Democratic organization from which I am receiving emails and/or text messages (since I decided to start getting emails and/or text messages from the Democrats in order to keep up with all of the updates for the 2022 Midterm Elections); and Factor Number Three, I am donating on a monthly basis to the USO (United Service Organizations), which starts this month, April 2022, and so I am also including those donations in my 'monthly donating budget.' Therefore, I am hopefully helping the Democrats to win this November in order to prevent Republicans from controlling both Congress and the White House, because I fear that the Republicans will try to turn America into an oligarchy!"
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] April 12th, 2022 Update: "I am donating to Democratic political organizations—while still trying to stay within a 'monthly donating budget'—so I am basically making one donation per organization per day from which I am receiving emails and/or text messages each day..."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update: "...This update is a follow-up to my 'March 17th, 2022 Update, Which Also Discusses March 16th, 2022,' where I explained, in part, that I made a donation on March 17th, 2022, to the USO (United Service Organizations) on the USO.org website. And with that one-time donation, I included a recurring monthly donation in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel. Thus, that recurring monthly donation started today, April 17th, 2022..."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued: "I have started making recurring monthly donations today, April 17th, 2022, to Democratic political organizations. And my plan is to let these recurring donations on the 17th of each month be the donations that I make for that day of each month, since I am making one donation per Democratic political organization per day from which I am receiving emails and/or text messages each day—while I am still trying to stay within a 'monthly donating budget'—which is all that I can afford given my monthly spending budget..."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued Further, Written On June 17th, 2022: "I explained on my 'April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued' that I started making recurring monthly donations on April 17th, 2022, to Democratic political organizations via ActBlue.com**; however, I deleted my ActBlue account on June 11th, 2022.
You see, I think that my ActBlue account was compromised because, on June 8th, 2022, I attempted to make a $1.15 donation to the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC), plus I included an $0.11 tip for ActBlue, but when the payment processed, it was for $1,000.11! And that is why I deleted my ActBlue account on June 11th, 2022. Please see my 'June 11th, 2022 Update,' which can be found below for a detailed explanation.
**[I deleted my ActBlue account! Although, I am still processing payments through the ActBlue website (they seem to be the main donation processing website for most Democratic political organizations and many progressive organizations); however, since I deleted my ActBlue account I have noticed that there are more options for making contributions via ActBlue, but by utilizing different payment processors, such as Google Pay, PayPal and Venmo. Please see my 'June 11th, 2022 Update' for a detailed explanation.]..."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] June 17th, 2022 Update: "This update is a follow-up to my 'April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued Further, Written On June 17th, 2022,' where I explained that I deleted my ActBlue account on June 11th, 2022. ... So, I have restarted making recurring monthly donations today, June 17th, 2022, to Democratic political organizations. Therefore, my plan is to make regular donations to the various Democratic political organizations from which I am receiving emails and/or text messages each day—while I am still trying to stay within a 'monthly donating budget'—which is all that I can afford given my monthly spending budget..."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022: "I have made approximately $[redacted] in total donations to Democratic political organizations and to various Democratic political campaigns from about March 2nd, 2022 through about July 5th, 2022.
And, as of July 7th, 2022, the total amount that I owe on my credit card is $[redacted], which is going to take me at least one year and eight months to pay off!
Plus, I am also making recurring donations to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations of $3.00 on the 17th of each month: and my plan is to continue donating those recurring donations indefinitely, since that is all that I can really afford to donate given my monthly spending budget...
...In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel...
...Thus, the total for the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations recurring donations, and for the USO recurring donation, is $46.00 per month (which used to be $41.00 per month, but I increased my monthly USO donation from $5.00 to $10.00 per month, so starting on August 17th, 2022 the total monthly donations are now $46.00 per month).
Therefore, I am continuing to make recurring monthly donations to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations...and to the USO; however, that is all I can afford to donate for the foreseeable future (with the exception of occasional one-time donations to the USO, plus various progressive organizations), given how much I went over my spending budget on political donations...
...And, as I mentioned above, the total amount that I owe on my credit card, as of July 7th, 2022, is $[redacted], which is going to take me at least one year and eight months to pay off as I have calculated, which I have estimated without any interest being calculated, and without any additional future charges, besides the above-mentioned monthly recurring donations.
So, this political donation information is why I wanted to update you with regard to my most recent donations to Democratic political organizations—as well as to Democratic political campaigns—and my planned recurring monthly donations to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations recurring donations, as well as to the USO.
And I am still making one-time donations to the USO—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via email or text message, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation. Plus, I am also still making one-time donations to various progressive organizations."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On July 27th, 2022): "This update is a follow-up to my 'July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022' and it is kind of complicated!
You see, my monthly donations of $3.00 each to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations processed on July 17th, 2022...
...And then, today July 27th, 2022, I also made one-time donations to Democratic political campaigns of $3.00 each for the most competitive races (of which I am aware) regarding Democratic House of Representatives and Senate seats. In addition to that, I made one-time donations of $3.00 each to the most competitive races (of which I am aware) regarding Democratic gubernatorial—or governor's—seats. Plus, I made an additional one-time donation to my local Democratic Party of Oregon.
Now, here is where my 'July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On July 27th, 2022)' gets complicated: Earlier, I said that I was going to only 'make recurring monthly donations to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations...and to the USO...with the exception of occasional one-time donations to the USO, plus various progressive organizations,' which is what I have done, so far!
However, I decided that I needed to 'up my game' and to continue making donations to individual Democratic political campaigns, but I am planning to only donate to them once per month, on the 27th of each month, until election day. Thus, I am donating each month—and I am donating $3.00 per campaign, just like I am donating to each of the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations—and that way I am donating to help Democrats win in November, in a way that is affordable to me, for the 2022 Midterm Elections."
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] April 17th, 2023 Update: "This update is a follow-up to my 'April 17th, 2022 Update,' where I explained, in part, the following:
'...This update is a follow-up to my 'March 17th, 2022 Update, Which Also Discusses March 16th, 2022,' where I explained, in part, that I made a donation on March 17th, 2022, to the USO (United Service Organizations) on the USO.org website. And with that one-time donation, I included a recurring monthly donation in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel. Thus, that recurring monthly donation started today, April 17th, 2022...'
Plus, this update is a follow-up to my 'July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022,' where I explained, in part, the following:
'...In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel:
01. USO: United Service Organizations recurring donation of $10.00 (which used to be $5.00 per month, but I increased it by an additional $5.00 per month; so starting on August 17th, 2022, the USO recurring donation is now $10.00 per month)...'
Therefore, today, April 17th, 2023, is the first full year that I have made a recurring monthly donation to the USO!
In addition to that, I usually make one-time donations to the USO each month—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via email or text message—in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel! Therefore, I am planning to continue making one-time donations to the USO in the future, as often as I can manage to make donations, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation.
By the way, did you know that the USO is a not-for-profit organization and not part of the Department of Defense (DoD)? The following description of the USO is from their 'About Us' webpage:
"The USO is not part of the federal government. A congressionally chartered, private organization, the USO relies on the generosity of individuals, organizations and corporations to support its activities, and is powered by a family of volunteers to accomplish our mission of connection."
So, that is why I 'volunteer financially' as a member of the "USO Home Team" through a recurring monthly donation, as well as through one-time donations to the USO each month!"
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] April 17th, 2023 Update—Continued: "This update is a follow-up to my 'April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued,' where I explained, in part, the following:
'I have started making recurring monthly donations today, April 17th, 2022, to Democratic political organizations...
...And so, here are the Democratic political organizations to which I am making these recurring monthly donations via ActBlue.com** (although, I did not include a tip for ActBlue on these donations, which I usually do, due to the fact that the 'tip box' did not appear, because I made these donations through ActBlue Express):
01. DCCC: Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
02. DGA: Democratic Governors Association
03. DNC: Democratic National Committee
04. DSCC: Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee
05. NCDM: National Conference of Democratic Mayors
06. DLCC: Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
07. DAGA: Democratic Attorneys General Association
08. DASS: Democratic Association of Secretaries of State
09. NDCO: National Democratic County Officials
10. DMO: Democratic Municipal Officials
11. NDRC: National Democratic Redistricting Committee
12. DPO: Democratic Party of Oregon...'
Plus, this update is a follow-up to my 'April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued Further, Written On June 17th, 2022,' where I explained, in part, the following:
'I explained on my 'April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued' that I started making recurring monthly donations on April 17th, 2022, to Democratic political organizations via ActBlue.com**; however, I deleted my ActBlue account on June 11th, 2022.
You see, I think that my ActBlue account was compromised because, on June 8th, 2022, I attempted to make a $1.15 donation to the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC), plus I included an $0.11 tip for ActBlue, but when the payment processed, it was for $1,000.11! And that is why I deleted my ActBlue account on June 11th, 2022. Please see my 'June 11th, 2022 Update' for a detailed explanation...'
Besides that, this update is a follow-up to my 'June 17th, 2022 Update,' where I explained, in part, the following:
'This update is a follow-up to my 'April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued Further, Written On June 17th, 2022,' where I explained that I deleted my ActBlue account on June 11th, 2022...
...So, I have restarted making recurring monthly donations today, June 17th, 2022, to Democratic political organizations...
...And so, here are the Democratic political organizations to which I am making recurring monthly donations via ActBlue.com** [although, because I no longer have an ActBlue account—since I deleted it, due to the fact that I think the account was compromised—I am still donating through the ActBlue website (they seem to be the main donation processing website for most Democratic political organizations and many progressive organizations), but I am donating for some of these recurring donations through other payment processors, such as Google Pay]:
01. DCCC: Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
02. DGA: Democratic Governors Association
03. DNC: Democratic National Committee
04. DSCC: Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee
05. NCDM: National Conference of Democratic Mayors
06. DLCC: Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
07. DAGA: Democratic Attorneys General Association
08. DASS: Democratic Association of Secretaries of State
09. NDCO: National Democratic County Officials
10. DMO: Democratic Municipal Officials
11. NDRC: National Democratic Redistricting Committee
12. DPO: Democratic Party of Oregon...'
In addition to that, this update is a follow-up to my 'July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022,' where I explained, in part, the following:
'...I am also making recurring donations to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations of $3.00 on the 17th of each month: and my plan is to continue donating those recurring donations indefinitely, since that is all that I can really afford to donate given my monthly spending budget. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.)
And so, here are the Democratic political organizations to which I am making recurring monthly donations via ActBlue.com**...:
01. DCCC: Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee recurring donation of $3.00
02. DGA: Democratic Governors Association recurring donation of $3.00
03. DNC: Democratic National Committee recurring donation of $3.00
04. DSCC: Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee recurring donation of $3.00
05. NCDM: National Conference of Democratic Mayors recurring donation of $3.00
06. DLCC: Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee recurring donation of $3.00
07. DAGA: Democratic Attorneys General Association recurring donation of $3.00
08. DASS: Democratic Association of Secretaries of State recurring donation of $3.00
09. NDCO: National Democratic County Officials recurring donation of $3.00
10. DMO: Democratic Municipal Officials recurring donation of $3.00
11. NDRC: National Democratic Redistricting Committee recurring donation of $3.00
12. DPO: Democratic Party of Oregon recurring donation of $3.00
Total Democratic Organizations Monthly Recurring Donations: $36.00...'
**[I deleted my ActBlue account! Although, I am still processing payments through the ActBlue website, since they seem to be the main donation processing website for most Democratic political organizations and many progressive organizations. Please see my 'June 11th, 2022 Update' on my blog post "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," which can be found on my "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" blog, for a detailed explanation.]
Thus, April 17th, 2023 is the anniversary of the first year that I have made recurring monthly donations to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations! Plus, this past year is the first time that I have donated to Democratic political organizations when it isn't an election year; however, I decided to change the way that I am donating to Democrats, so that I am helping their fundraising and coordinating operations throughout the year and not just during election years.
And I have just gotta say how incredibly nice it is to be able to make recurring monthly donations to Democratic political organizations—because the payments process automatically each month—and I don't have to do one extra thing in order to help fund the operations of the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations throughout the year!"
---------------------------------------------
[A Quote From My] November 6th, 2024 Update No. 1 [My Writing About No Longer Being An 'Online Activist' In Any Way, Shape Or Form]: "Due to Donald Trump winning the 2024 Presidential Election—and until further notice—I am no longer being an 'Online Activist' in any way, shape or form, which includes no longer signing petitions from political, social, environmental and charitable organizations, and no longer sending letters to my Representative and Senators in Congress, as well as no longer making donations to political, social, environmental and charitable causes. Full stop! I am also unsubscribing from any of the emails that I used to receive from political, social, environmental and charitable organizations. In fact, I am even cancelling all of my monthly political donations to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations, as well as to the USO (United Service Organizations), in addition to cancelling all of my monthly news organization subscriptions, or news organization donations, because I am absolutely terrified of this second Trump administration. And I fully expect that democracy in America as we know it will be over! So, I am choosing to not engage in any 'activism' whatsoever—plus, I am not even sure that I will be exercising my 'civic duty' by voting in any upcoming elections because, as a (formerly) donating and a (potentially former) voting Democrat, I totally fear the retribution of President Donald J. Trump. Full stop!"
P.S.: It's July 31st, 2025, and I feel like I need to provide an addendum (that is, "an item of additional material added at the end of a book or document, typically in order to correct, clarify, or supplement something") to this November 6th, 2024 'update!'
You see, a couple of days ago, on July 29th, 2025, I copied the text of this update to use as my reason for unsubscribing from a particular political email that I received that same day!
And so, I actually bothered to read this update—in order to verify that it made sense for me to use as a response to the request on this political email's unsubscribe page which stated, "Please tell us why you are leaving"—during which I realized there was a typo (that is, 'a typographical error') in the text of the update, as I have highlighted below, with the correction in brackets:
"And I fully expect that democracy in America as we know [it] will be over!"
Thus, I accidentally left out the word "it" in the sentence above. Hence, I corrected said typo on July 29th, the verification of which can be seen reflected in the addition of the date "revised July 29th, 2025" after my name.
However, as I got to thinking about the fact that I had originally said I may not be voting in any upcoming elections, I realized that, in fact, I did vote in Portland Oregon's Multnomah County Special District Election on May 20th, 2025, just like I usually do! [I always vote in every election (even 'special elections') and I always vote Democrat, which is why I was worried about voting in any upcoming elections given President Trump's clear disdain for Democrats.]
Therefore, I decided to write this "P.S." today, July 31st, as a way to clarify that I am still voting in elections (even 'special elections'), it's just that I am no longer engaging in any 'Online Activism,' during Trump's Presidency, as I explained in great detail above. (I hope that makes sense!)
---------------------------------------------
[A Series of Excerpts From My] April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1: I received a text message today, April 16th, 2026, from the USO (United Service Organizations), which stated the following:
[Image of the 2026 USO T-shirt design.]
USO T-shirt alert: Paul, we're so excited to share that the exclusive 2026 USO T-shirts are here! As a thank you for being a top supporter, we're giving you early access before the T-shirts are available to the general public. So please, get yours now before they're gone! 𝗪𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗲 $𝟮𝟵 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗧-𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁 — 𝗼𝗿 $𝟱𝟮 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗼 𝗧-𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘀?***
As the official uniform of military supporters, this exclusive USO T-shirt is one of the best ways to show your pride and support our nation's service members. Please, don't miss your chance to be among the first to get yours.
𝗚𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗨𝗦𝗢 𝗧-𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁:***
—The USO
And, after I read the text message above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage ...
... And so, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website in order to support the USO's following statement: "Wear your support for our troops — support they can see. Every donation helps support critical programs for our brave soldiers that keep them connected to home as they serve worldwide. This year's T-shirt also celebrates America's 250th birthday, so supplies won't last long!" ...
... In addition to that, I used to make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel. Besides that, I also formerly made one-time donations to the USO as often as I could manage whenever they requested a donation via email or text message. However, I am currently on an "Activist Sabbatical" due to Donald Trump winning the 2024 Presidential Election. ...
---------------------------------------------
[A Series of Excerpts From My] April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On April 17th, 2026) [My Writing About How I Restarted Donating To The USO (United Service Organizations) As Of April 2026]: Yesterday, April 16th, 2026, I wrote about receiving a text message from the USO (United Service Organizations) regarding the 2026 USO T-shirt design! And I explained that I made a one-time donation for said T-shirt, but I also clarified that I am not currently donating to the USO on a recurring monthly basis, like I used to do, due to Donald Trump winning the 2024 Presidential Election.
Now, today, I realized that I shouldn't really be withholding monthly donations just because Donald Trump is President, since the USO is providing really important support to Our Troops, who are putting themselves in harm's way in order to Protect Our Country and Defend Democracy!
So, what got me to thinking about restarting my recurring monthly donations to the USO is the fact that I received an email from the USO yesterday, after I opened the donation webpage from their original text message referenced in my 'April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1,' which can be found above, to get the correct phrasing from that donation webpage in order to represent said page as accurately as possible for the description that I provided in my 'April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1.' And, in doing so, I entered the information in each box, just like I was planning to make a donation! However, I was simply capturing the formatting of the USO's donation webpage text, so that I could replicate it.
Then—lo and behold—yesterday, April 16th, 2026, I received an email from the USO, with the subject line, "You are so close to providing help & support," which stated the following:
[Picture of "a soldier sitting against a fence, looking pensive while holding a small object in his hands. The background features trees and grass, indicating a calm outdoor setting."]
Don’t leave your impact unfinished
You can make a powerful impact for service members and their families.
By making a donation today
• You give our heroes a lifeline: The USO is the only nonprofit dedicated to keeping service members connected to loved ones and the comforts of home — from free Wi-Fi calls to connections home and holiday meals that remind them their sacrifice is valued.
• You make sure no one serves alone: No matter how far, remote or dangerous the deployment, the USO shows up — just like our service members show up for us. But 6 in 10 service members don’t even know the full range of programs available. Your support ensures they can find and use the help they deserve.
• You help power $230,000 of care every single day: It takes $230,000 a day to provide these life-changing programs. Your generosity makes it possible for every hero to feel the comfort of home no matter where duty takes them.
Every day the USO is on the frontlines with our service members. We couldn't do this critical work without generous friends like you.
For the People Who Serve,
– [Names redacted], USO
Complete your donation***
The USO is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and acknowledges that no goods or services were provided to you in return for your contribution. Donations to USO are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. ...
... And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, however—in order for me to clarify something—this is where I usually say in these kinds of updates, "the relevant text of which can be found below," but when I opened that page, I realized that I would simply be making another donation for the 2026 USO T-shirt!
Therefore, I decided to refer to my own previous blog post updates where I extol the virtues of making recurring monthly donations as part of the USO Home Team, the text of which can be found below:
So, that is why I 'volunteer financially' as a member of the "USO Home Team" through a recurring monthly donation, as well as through one-time donations to the USO each month!
And, after I read my own blog post update text, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage ...
... And to clarify another thing: I decided to increase what I donate to the USO on a monthly recurring basis to $20.00, since I used to donate $10.00 per month—which was increased from $5.00 per month—as explained below, from my 'April 17th, 2023 Update,' …
"...In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel:
01. USO: United Service Organizations recurring donation of $10.00 (which used to be $5.00 per month, but I increased it by an additional $5.00 per month; so starting on August 17th, 2022, the USO recurring donation is now $10.00 per month)..."
Then, after I made said donation, I received an email from the USO today, April 17th, 2026, with the subject line, "Welcome to the USO Home Team, Paul" ...
... Thus, I made a recurring donation on the USO.org website in order to support the USO's following statement: "Our service members keep our nation safe. And we work hard to keep them connected to home — but we can't do that without support from military supporters like you. Our heroes are counting on you to be a part of this important work for our country." ...
---------------------------------------------
[A Series of Excerpts From My] April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 2, Written On April 19th, 2026): Three days ago, on April 16th, 2026, I wrote about receiving a text message from the USO (United Service Organizations) regarding the 2026 USO T-shirt! And I explained that I made a one-time donation for said T-shirt, but I also clarified that I am not currently donating to the USO on a recurring monthly basis, like I used to do, due to Donald Trump winning the 2024 Presidential Election.
Then, on April 17th, 2026, I wrote about restarting my recurring monthly donations to the USO due to the fact that I received an email from the USO two days ago, on April 17th, 2026, because I realized that I shouldn't really be withholding monthly donations just because Donald Trump is President, since the USO is providing really important support to Our Troops, who are putting themselves in harm's way in order to Protect Our Country and Defend Democracy!
Then today, April 19th, 2026, I received an email from the USO, with the subject line, "Will your employer match your donation?", which stated the following:
[Graphic image showing a USO logo, then a "+" (plus sign), followed by a gift box emoji with the word "You" written under it, then another "+" (plus sign), followed by another gift box emoji with the words "Company Match" written under it, then the "=" (equals sign), followed by a much larger gift box emoji with the words "Double the impact" written under it.]
Hi Paul,
We’re so thankful for your recent donation!
Did you know that thousands of companies match donations made by their employees to organizations like the USO? Please visit our matching gift page to see if your company will match your gift and to access the forms, guidelines, and instructions that you need to complete your submission.
[ ] Step 1: See if I'm eligible! Click here***
We want to know when you’ve submitted your matching gift request! Once you’ve submitted, click the link below to let us know.
[ ] Step 2: I've submitted my matching gift request! Click here***
If your company doesn't offer a matching gift program or won't match your donation, click the link below to help us keep our records up to date.
[✓] I'm not eligible for a matching gift.***
For the People Who Serve,
[Name redacted], [name redacted] and [name redacted]
USO Matching Gift Team
Sent on behalf of United Service Organizations., Inc. ...
... And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
Let us know why your gift is ineligible
Thank you for notifying us that your donation is not eligible to be matched by your company. To note this in our records, please select one of the reasons below. Your selection will not be saved until you click "Submit" below.
[ ] I'm retired.
[✓] I am self-employed, a government employee, or not currently working.
[ ] I'm self-employed.
[✓] I'm not currently working.
[Blogger's Note: The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so that is why I indicated that "I'm not currently working."]
[ ] I'm a stay-at-home parent.
[ ] I'm in the public sector.
[ ] I work for a nonprofit.
[ ] I work part-time.
[ ] My company doesn't offer a matching program.
[ ] I don't work for the company you sent info for.
[ ] My donation doesn't meet my company's matching gift program requirements.
[ ] I don't want to submit a match request for this gift.
[ ] I prefer not to say.
Submit
---------------------------------------------
Thank you for your response. We have updated our records.
Thus, I responded to the USO's request to see if my donation could be matched, by indicating that "I'm not currently working." ...
---------------------------------------------
[A Series of Excerpts From My] April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 3, Written On May 17th, 2026) [My Writing About How I Restarted Donating To The USO (United Service Organizations) As Of April 2026, Part 2]: This update is a follow-up to my 'April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On April 17th, 2026)', wherein I explained, in part, that I made a donation on April 16th, 2026, to the USO (United Service Organizations) on the USO.org website regarding the 2026 USO T-shirt design!
Plus, I clarified that—even though I made a one-time donation for said T-shirt—I am not currently donating to the USO on a recurring monthly basis, like I used to do, due to Donald Trump winning the 2024 Presidential Election.
And I go on to explain that I shouldn't really be withholding monthly donations just because Donald Trump is President, since the USO is providing really important support to Our Troops, who are putting themselves in harm's way in order to Protect Our Country and Defend Democracy!
Therefore, I explained that I decided to restart my recurring monthly donations, as part of the USO Home Team, on April 17th, 2026!
And I also clarified that I decided to increase what I donate to the USO on a monthly recurring basis to $20.00, since I used to donate $10.00 per month, which was increased from $5.00 per month.
Thus, that first recurring monthly donation started today, May 17th, 2026! ...
---------------------------------------------
[A Series of Excerpts From My] April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 4, Written On June 15th, 2026, Which Also Discusses June 14th, 2026): This update is a follow-up to my 'April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1', wherein I wrote about receiving a text message on April 16th, 2026 from the USO (United Service Organizations) regarding the 2026 USO T-shirt design! And I explained that I made a one-time donation for said T-shirt on the USO.org website!
Well, just before midnight on June 14th, 2026, after checking my regular mail, I received the T-shirt—which I must say looks even better than the promotional image! And contained within the packaging for the T-shirt, there was an enclosed letter from the USO, dated May 30th, 2026, which stated the following:
★★★ USO ★★★
FOR THE PEOPLE WHO SERVE.™
USO ★ [Street Address and Suite No. redacted] ★ [City, State and ZIP Code redacted]
May 30, 2026
Dear Paul Whiting:
Thank you again for your support of the USO. Enclosed is your 16th Anniversary USO T-shirt, a special collector's edition honoring America's 250th birthday. We hope that each time you wear it, you will be reminded of the brave service members you help support and the sacrifices they make to serve our country.
Thanks to you, and other caring Americans, the USO is able to reach our men and women in uniform wherever they are stationed. You also help the wounded heroes traveling the difficult road from the battlefield to recovery.
Simply put, your gifts help our service members by:
• Paying for Wi-Fi, email access and phone calls home that allow them to stay in touch with their families and loved ones from anywhere in the world — for free.
• Delivering care packages filled with snacks, games and personal hygiene items that our military service members on patrol in remote locations simply wouldn't have otherwise.
• Opening new USO locations across the world and maintaining operations around the clock to give our brave service members serving the comfort of home.
You help the USO make life better for our Armed Forces and their families. However, as the USO faces the daunting task of making life better for all these troops, we need to ask if you can do even more. And if you can find it in your heart to send an additional donation today, you will send a message of hope and gratitude to all those we serve. Thank you again for your support of the USO and the U.S. military.
With heartfelt thanks and best wishes,
Your USO Team
P.S. In the event you are able to make an additional gift now on behalf of our American heroes, please use the attached donation form which has been personalized with your name, address and USO donor number. You may also visit uso.org/usosupporter.
https://give.uso.org/page/2604_tshirt_2a
P.P.S If you requested more than one T-shirt, your items may arrive in separate packages. Be sure to keep an eye out for additional shipments. If you do not receive all items within 6-8 weeks after your donation was made, please reach out to us at [email redacted] so we can assist you.
---------------------------------------------
★★★ USO ★★★
FOR THE PEOPLE WHO SERVE.™
USO DONATION FORM
(Please detach and return this form with your tax-deductible contribution in the envelope provided.)
The people of our U.S. military, and their families, need to know that America still stands behind them. Please accept this additional contribution on their behalf:
[ ] $35
[ ] $50
[ ] $100
[✓] Other $7.00
Paul Whiting
[Street Address and Apt. No. redacted]
[City, State and ZIP Code redacted]
Make check payable to The USO. To donate using your credit card or to make your donation monthly, please use the other side of this form. Your gift is tax deductible as allowed by law. Thank you for your generosity.
And, after I read the letter above, I entered the hyperlink to the referenced webpage ...
... And so, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website in order to support the USO's following statement: "Thanks to you, and other caring Americans, the USO is able to reach our men and women in uniform wherever they are stationed. You also help the wounded heroes traveling the difficult road from the battlefield to recovery. ... You help the USO make life better for our Armed Forces and their families. However, as the USO faces the daunting task of making life better for all these troops, we need to ask if you can do even more. And if you can find it in your heart to send an additional donation today, you will send a message of hope and gratitude to all those we serve."
Then, after I made said donation, I received an email from the USO today, June 15th, 2026, with the subject line, "Thank You for Your Donation to the USO" …
… In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel! You see, I usually make one-time donations to the USO—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via regular mail, email or text message. (I also donate for specific situations, such as receiving a USO T-shirt!) Therefore, I am planning to continue making one-time donations to the USO in the future, as often as I can manage, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation. ...
---------------------------------------------
Above, please find relevant quotes from a series of 'updates' that highlight the most important changes to my current activism, which are titled as follows:
▪ [A Quote From My] March 7th, 2017 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] November 5th, 2018 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] September 16th, 2021 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] November 10th, 2021 Update, Written On November 11th, 2021
▪ [A Quote From My] March 13th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] March 16th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] March 17th, 2022 Update, Which Also Discusses March 16th, 2022
▪ [A Quote From My] April 3rd, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 12th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2022 Update—Continued Further, Written On June 17th, 2022
▪ [A Quote From My] June 17th, 2022 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022
▪ [A Quote From My] July 7th, 2022 Update, Written On July 11th, 2022 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On July 27th, 2022)
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2023 Update
▪ [A Quote From My] April 17th, 2023 Update—Continued
▪ [A Quote From My] November 6th, 2024 Update No. 1
▪ [A Series of Excerpts From My] April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 and
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 1, Written On April 17th, 2026) [My Writing About How I Restarted Donating To The USO (United Service Organizations) As Of April 2026], as well as
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 2, Written On April 19th, 2026), in addition to
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 3, Written On May 17th, 2026) [My Writing About How I Restarted Donating To The USO (United Service Organizations) As Of April 2026, Part 2], and finally,
April 16th, 2026 Update No. 1 (Follow-Up No. 4, Written On June 15th, 2026, Which Also Discusses June 14th, 2026)
This prose (with some poetry) was only published on my "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" blog.
-Paul Whiting
(a.k.a., Poet, Artist and Philosopher)
"I am the poet who thinks that he knows it!"
THIS POST IS A CONTINUATION OF THE BLOG POST TITLED, "I AM NO LONGER BEING AN ACTIVIST IN THE SAME WAY THAT I WAS, PART 5" (WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN THE PREVIOUS POST NO. 153, WITH A HYPERLINK PROVIDED BELOW). AND IT HAS ALL OF THE UPDATES WRITTEN FROM 2026 TO THE PRESENT:
https://poetartistandphilosopher.blogspot.com/2016/11/i-am-no-longer-being-activist-part-5.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Philosophical Notes:
The reason that I wrote this prose can be summed up with the following statement: "Due to being stressed out—and until further notice—I am no longer being an 'Online Activist' in the same way that I was before, which includes no longer signing petitions from political, social, environmental and charitable organizations, as well as no longer making donations to political, social, environmental and charitable causes the same way that I was in the past. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS.) And so, I am consciously choosing to not engage in any 'activism,' however, I am still planning to exercise my 'civic duty' by voting in upcoming elections."
Now, to clarify something: I cannot edit my blog post titled, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," which can be found on my "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" blog—for an unknown reason—as of May 11th, 2026. So, any editing that I have tried to do on this blog post, after May 11th, for some reason won't save...
…Although, on June 20th, 2026, I thought to relocate all of the 2026 updates from my original blog post, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," to my newer "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was, Part 2." You see, I had created this 'Part 2' blog post as a backup post, because there was a period of time when the original blog post kept being unpublished by Blogger for being too 'spammy'—I am guessing because of all the hyperlinks that I was providing for news articles that I was referring to my readers!
Anyway, that relocation of the 2026 updates seemed to have worked in getting the original blog post to be "editable" again, at least temporarily...
...But, then, later on that same day, I tried to add some additional text to the post and it would not save again! However, at least this time, instead of just saying that the "Update failed," it specifically stated, "The body is too large." Thus, I am assuming the 'unknown reason' that I stopped being able to edit the original post on May 11th was because I had—apparently—reached some sort of blog post size threshold!
So now, I am thinking of editing out most of the news updates, which I wrote on that original post, because those updates weren't nearly as pertinent to my "Online Activism" as was responding to the text message, email, and regular mail communications that I was receiving from various political, progressive and charitable organizations.
This prose was only published on my "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" blog.
This prose was written in Portland, Oregon.
-Paulee
THIS POST IS A CONTINUATION OF THE BLOG POST TITLED, "I AM NO LONGER BEING AN ACTIVIST IN THE SAME WAY THAT I WAS, PART 5" (WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN THE PREVIOUS POST NO. 153, WITH A HYPERLINK PROVIDED BELOW). AND IT HAS ALL OF THE UPDATES WRITTEN FROM MAY 2026 TO JUNE 2026:
https://poetartistandphilosopher.blogspot.com/2016/11/i-am-no-longer-being-activist-part-5.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
YEAR 2024 UPDATES FOR MAY:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For my "May 1st, 2024 Update No. 1"—since this 'update' is a part of my ⋆USO⋆ donations—please see my blog post titled, "My Point Of View On...Giving Charity And Accepting Charity," which can be found on both of my "Paul Whiting — Math Magician" and "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" blogs. An introduction to the 'update' can be found below:
May 1st, 2024 Update No. 1: May is Military Appreciation Month! And I received an email from the USO (United Service Organizations) today, May 1st, 2024, with the subject line, "This Military Appreciation Month, remind our heroes how much their service means to you", which stated the following:
IT'S MILITARY APPRECIATION MONTH!
★ ★ ★
MAKE SURE OUR SERVICE MEMBERS KNOW YOU SUPPORT THEM!
GOAL: 150,000 SIGNATURES
SIGN THE CARD NOW***
May is Military Appreciation Month, Paul. And we want to invite you to take a moment and thank our heroes in uniform.
Top military supporters from around the country are coming together to recognize everything our brave service members do for us: From risking their lives in some of the world's harshest and most isolating conditions to sacrificing time with their families, our heroes deserve our unending gratitude and recognition.
That's why, in honor of Military Appreciation Month, we've set a goal to get 150,000 grateful Americans to sign our thank-you card via email and text messages by the end of the month. Please, show your gratitude as a top military supporter by signing now:
★ ★ ★
Happy Military
Appreciation Month
– we appreciate
everything you do!
ADD YOUR NAME***
Our service members continue to make tremendous sacrifices day in and day out — from providing humanitarian relief around the world to keeping us safe back home.
The men and women in our military are heroes. And all too often, they don't get the recognition they deserve.
Truly, the least we can do is ensure they feel the gratitude and appreciation from top military supporters like you. So please, take a moment and sign our Military Appreciation Month card for our service members before our goal deadline.
ADD YOUR NAME***
Thank you so much for supporting our heroes in uniform.
The USO
SIGN THE CARD***
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
So, I signed a Military Appreciation Month card "to recognize our heroes who have sacrificed so much, particularly those who are stationed far from friends and family in dangerous parts of the world." Plus, after I signed the card, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website to say to America's service members, "Happy Military Appreciation Month! We’re so thankful for your heroic service and sacrifice. Sending our deepest gratitude, respect and appreciation." ...
Please see the hyperlinks below for the post, within which you can do a find-in-page search for the 'update' labeled, "May 1st, 2024 Update No. 1":
https://paulwhitingmath.blogspot.com/2015/05/my-point-of-view-on-charity.html
https://paulwhitingwriting.blogspot.com/2022/07/my-point-of-view-on-part-16-giving-to.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 1st, 2024 Update No. 2: I received an email from Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) today, May 1st, 2024, with the subject line "Join us. Take the pledge to #GoSilent this Memorial Day", which stated the following:
Paul,
Our annual #GoSilent campaign is about raising awareness of and recognizing those who’ve made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our nation. This year, we especially want to remind America of those who lost their lives during the ongoing Global War on Terror, which has killed more than 7,000 U.S. troops across two decades – every one of them volunteers.
Will you take the pledge to #GoSilent to remember the fallen on May 27th at 3:00 PM local time and help spread the word to remind the nation about what this day represents?
Our collective commitment to #GoSilent makes a powerful statement of support and reverence.
We hope you’ll join us in honoring the women and men who have given their lives in service to our nation. Honoring the families that also lost a loved one in the process. And encourage your fellow Americans to do the same.
Take the pledge to #GoSilent on Memorial Day now >>>
https://iava.org/go-silent-2024/#pledge
With gratitude,
Team IAVA
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
"#GOSILENT"
This Memorial Day, remember to Honor the Fallen.
#GoSilent with IAVA at 3:00 PM local time.
This Memorial Day, at 3PM local time, IAVA will #GoSilent in honor of America’s servicemembers who made the ultimate sacrifice. Gather your friends and family across the country and pause with us for a national moment of silence to honor those who have sacrificed so much.
TAKE THE PLEDGE
Commit to #GoSilent with IAVA on Memorial Day
https://iava.org/go-silent-2024/#pledge
JOIN US IN PAYING TRIBUTE
Thank you for joining us to #GoSilent to honor the fallen this Memorial Day. IAVA’s annual #GoSilent campaign is about raising awareness and recognition for our nation’s heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
This year IAVA especially wants to remind America of those who lost their lives during the Global War on Terror (GWOT). In a war that continues to be waged to this day, GWOT has killed more than 7,000 U.S. troops across more than two decades – every one of them volunteers.
We encourage you to take the pledge to incorporate a moment of pause and recognition on May 27th at 3PM local time and help spread the word to remind the nation about what this day truly represents. We developed this toolkit (https://iava.org/go-silent-social-media-kit) to support your efforts in paying tribute to our incredible veterans and their families on your personal and organizational social media channels.
---------------------------------------------
#GOSILENT with IAVA this Memorial Day
Pledge to observe a moment of silence at 3pm local time on May 27th to honor the fallen.
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Email: [redacted]
State (2 letter abbreviation): [redacted]
Zip Code (5 digits): [redacted]
Confirmation
And so, I took the pledge "to observe a moment of silence at 3pm local time on May 27th [2024] to honor the fallen." –Paul Whiting (written May 1st, 2024 and revised May 23rd, 2024)
P.S.: Just so you know, I used to make one-time donations to the organization that is the subject of these 'updates' each time that I took an action as requested by that organization; however, "I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ... due to the fact that I have been spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations." (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) Therefore, "I am really 'tightening my belt,' so to speak, with regard to all of the donations that I am making on my credit card each month! My plan is to only donate to political, progressive and charitable organizations if they specifically ask for donations—and not just for the sake of donating to them at least once per month, or even when I have been taking some sort of action, such as signing a petition, or sending a letter, etc. Thus, I am trying to greatly reduce the number of donations that I make to simply once in a while, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis! You see, there are a lot of organizations that I literally donate to only once per year—such as for Giving Tuesday—which is all that I ever donate to them. And that is basically what I am striving for, so that I am still donating to political, progressive and charitable organizations, but the bare minimum that I can donate, since that's all I can really afford." [Please see my 'August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 4, Written On December 1st, 2023 About November 2023' (that also appears as 'November 30th, 2023 Update No. 2, Written On December 1st, 2023' on some of my blogs), which can be found above.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For my "May 4th, 2024 Update No. 1"—since this 'update' is a part of my ⋆USO⋆ donations—please see my blog post titled, "My Point Of View On...Giving Charity And Accepting Charity," which can be found on both of my "Paul Whiting — Math Magician" and "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" blogs. An introduction to the 'update' can be found below:
May 4th, 2024 Update: May is Military Appreciation Month! And I received an email from the USO (United Service Organizations) today, May 4th, 2024, with the subject line, "What Military Appreciation Month means to me", which stated the following:
Paul,
Every moment of every day. That's when we honor and appreciate our military here at the USO.
This Military Appreciation Month, I'm grateful we are taking the time as a nation to collectively thank our service members and their families for their dedication, resilience and unwavering commitment to selflessly defending our country.
When I was at the Air Force Academy, I learned the value of Service Before Self. It's the idea that when serving your country, personal comforts take a backseat to duty. I cannot think of a better way to describe our heroes in uniform. These are folks who willingly sacrifice so much to put themselves in harm's way in the service of our country. We owe the brave members of our military a debt of gratitude, and the 25th anniversary of Military Appreciation Month is the perfect opportunity to honor them.
I invite you to join me and the USO in thanking these heroes. My hope is that every person in uniform, at home and abroad, feels our immense gratitude over this next month.
The USO has been supporting our service members for 83 years, and we would not be able to do it without you. Thank you for standing with us and with the military community. Together, let's ensure the people serving in America's military and their families know they are appreciated and valued, not just this month, but every day.
Sincerely,
[Name redacted]
U.S. Air Force Veteran
[Title redacted], USO
Show your gratitude as a top military supporter and make a donation now to help us start Military Appreciation Month in the best position to strengthen the well-being of those who serve.
DONATE***
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And so, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website in order to support the USO's following statement: "Since 1941, the USO has stood by all who serve in America’s military. But we're not a government-funded agency — we count on individual supporters like you to fund the programs that make the biggest difference for our service members. Please donate in honor of Military Appreciation Month so we can continue to provide individual support to our service members every day of the year."
In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel! You see, I usually make one-time donations to the USO each month—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via email or text message. Therefore, I am planning to continue making one-time donations to the USO in the future, as often as I can manage to make donations, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation. ...
Please see the hyperlinks below for the post, within which you can do a find-in-page search for the 'update' labeled, "May 4th, 2024 Update No. 1":
https://paulwhitingmath.blogspot.com/2015/05/my-point-of-view-on-charity.html
https://paulwhitingwriting.blogspot.com/2022/07/my-point-of-view-on-part-16-giving-to.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 7th, 2024 Update No. 1: The third annual National Fentanyl Awareness Day is today, May 7th, 2024! And I received an email from The National Fentanyl Awareness Day Team today, May 7th, 2024, with the subject line, "Today is National Fentanyl Awareness Day!", which stated the following:
NATIONAL
FENTANYL
AWARENESS
DAY
https://www.fentanylawarenessday.org
Dear NFAD [National Fentanyl Awareness Day] Partners,
Today is the third annual National Fentanyl Awareness Day!
Please join us and spread the word on social media to take action and save a life. Check out some sample social copy and creative assets here [PDF] (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NUdaP-WelV4xHHON-Bs8ISaF2hkVExDW/view?usp=drivesdk), and don't forget to use #NationalFentanylAwarenessDay. We will be uplifting our partners’ posts on social media throughout the day, so please be sure to tag our social accounts!
Thank you again for all you are doing to raise awareness about this issue and for taking the time today to educate your networks!
With gratitude,
The National Fentanyl Awareness Team
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/nationalfentanylawarenessday
Twitter: https://twitter.com/fentawareday
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fentanylawarenessday/instagram.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/national-fentanyl-awareness-day
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@songforcharlie
YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/@songforcharlie
Plus, after I read the email above, I made a one-time donation to Song for Charlie (https://songforcharlie.org/?form=FUNRTLRMRYU), via the National Fentanyl Awareness Day website, in order to support their "national family-run, nonprofit charity dedicated to raising awareness about 'fentapills' — fake pills made of fentanyl," as well as to show my support for National Fentanyl Awareness Day! –Paul Whiting (written May 7th, 2024 and revised May 8th, 2024)
---------------------------------------------
May 7th, 2024 Update No. 1, Follow-Up Written On May 8th, 2024: I received an email from The National Fentanyl Awareness Day Team today, May 8th, 2024, with the subject line, "Thank You!", which stated the following:
NATIONAL
FENTANYL
AWARENESS
DAY
https://www.fentanylawarenessday.org
Dear Partners and Supporters,
Thank you for partnering with us to spread the word about illicitly manufactured fentanyl and take action to save a life. We couldn’t do this work without you.
Please complete this brief partner survey*** to share how you activated this year, and help us inform our 2025 plans and how we can better support partners in the future.
We’re so grateful for your support this year. We’ll be in touch soon with further updates, but if you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at [email redacted].
With gratitude,
The National Fentanyl Awareness Team
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/nationalfentanylawarenessday
Twitter: https://twitter.com/fentawareday
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fentanylawarenessday/instagram.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/national-fentanyl-awareness-day
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@songforcharlie
YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/@songforcharlie
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
National Fentanyl Awareness Day Partner Survey
How did you activate on May 7th?
[✓] Posted on social media (e.g. Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, TikTok, Twitter, etc.)
[ ] Hosted or helped organize a New Drug Talk film screening
[ ] Hosted or helped organize an in-person event
[ ] Sent an email to my network
[ ] Had a conversation about the dangers of fentanyl and fake pills
[ ] Learned the signs of an overdose and how to respond
Obtained naloxone
[ ] Other (please specify)
How did you originally hear about National Fentanyl Awareness Day?
[ ] Another partner organization
[✓] News [Please see my 'May 9th, 2023 Update—Continued Further Some More, Written On May 13th, 2023,' which can be found above.]
[ ] Social media
[ ] Other (please specify)
If you attended or hosted an in-person event, where was the event and how many people attended?
I am a blogger! So, I posted a 'May 7th, 2024 Update No. 1' on my website blog post: https://poetartistandphilosopher.blogspot.com/2 016/11/i-am-no-longer-being-activist.html.
What NFAD resources did you find most helpful?
[ ] Social media graphics / posters
[ ] Email drafts
[✓] Website facts
[ ] Hosting a film screening guide
[ ] Family discussion guide
[ ] Spanish social media graphics
How can NFAD better support your activation in the future? Any other feedback you’d like to share?
Here is the above-mentioned 'May 7th, 2024 Update No. 1' that I wrote on my blog for National Fentanyl Awareness Day:
---------------------------------------------
May 7th, 2024 Update No. 1: The third annual National Fentanyl Awareness Day is today, May 7th, 2024! And I received an email from The National Fentanyl Awareness Day Team today, May 7th, 2024, with the subject line, "Today is National Fentanyl Awareness Day!", which stated the following:
NATIONAL
FENTANYL
AWARENESS
DAY
https://www.fentanylawarenessday.org
Dear NFAD [National Fentanyl Awareness Day] Partners,
Today is the third annual National Fentanyl Awareness Day!
Please join us and spread the word on social media to take action and save a life. Check out some sample social copy and creative assets here [PDF] (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NUdaP-WelV4xHHON-Bs8ISaF2hkVExDW/view?usp=drivesdk), and don't forget to use #NationalFentanylAwarenessDay. We will be uplifting our partners’ posts on social media throughout the day, so please be sure to tag our social accounts!
Thank you again for all you are doing to raise awareness about this issue and for taking the time today to educate your networks!
With gratitude,
The National Fentanyl Awareness Team
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/nationalfentanylawarenessday
Twitter: https://twitter.com/fentawareday
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fentanylawarenessday/instagram.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/national-fentanyl-awareness-day
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@songforcharlie
YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/@songforcharlie
Plus, after I read the email above, I made a one-time donation to Song for Charlie (https://songforcharlie.org/?form=FUNRTLRMRYU), via the National Fentanyl Awareness Day website, in order to support their "national family-run, nonprofit charity dedicated to raising awareness about 'fentapills' — fake pills made of fentanyl," as well as to show my support for National Fentanyl Awareness Day! –Paul Whiting (written May 7th, 2024 and revised May 8th, 2024)
P.S.: Just so you know, your hyperlink to Instagram is broken! Apparently, the web address is incorrect because there is a forward slash in front of it that causes it to go to a Google error page, as quoted below:
404. That's an error.
The requested URL /https://www.instagram.com/fentanylawarenessday/instagram.com/ was not found on this server. That's all we know.
So, I copied the URL without the extra forward slash (https://www.instagram.com/fentanylawarenessday/instagram.com/) and it worked just fine!
---------------------------------------------
Thank You!
Your submission has been received.
By the way, I realized after I submitted the partner survey above that I completed it somewhat incorrectly! You see, I accidentally wrote the explanation about posting a 'May 7th, 2024 Update No. 1' on my website blog post for National Fentanyl Awareness Day under the comment box question, "If you attended or hosted an in-person event, where was the event and how many people attended?" When what I should have actually done is provided that same explanation about posting an 'update' on my blog post under the question, "How did you activate on May 7th?" by selecting "Other (please specify)," rather than checking off "Posted on social media (e.g. Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, TikTok, Twitter, etc.)," like I did. –Paul Whiting (May 8th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 7th, 2024 Update No. 2, Written On May 12th, 2024: National Teachers’ Day is yearly (annually) on the first Tuesday of the first full week of May, which this year is May 7th, 2024!
Plus, National Teachers' Day is observed within National Teacher Appreciation Week, which this year is May 6th, 2024 through 10th, 2024 due to the fact that National Teacher Appreciation Week is yearly (annually) during the first full school week of May.
The following webpage introduction, regarding National Teacher Appreciation Week 2024, is from the National Education Association's website NEA.org:
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK
Teachers Go Above & Beyond for Students.
NOW IT’S OUR TURN TO SHARE OUR SUPPORT.
National Teacher Day is May 7, 2024, and National Teacher Appreciation Week is May 6-10, 2024.
This year, we’re joining together to listen to and stand with teachers and uniting to take action and demand our leaders provide the resources and respect educators deserve. Because every student - no matter the color of their skin or the ZIP code they live in - deserves educators who are caring, committed, and have the resources they need to help every student succeed.
A SPECIAL THANK YOU FROM THE FIRST LADY
First Lady Dr. Jill Biden joined NEA President Becky Pringle and AFT President Randi Weingarten to send a special message to educators across the country.
[Blogger's Note: I watched The White House video above that is titled, "First Lady Jill Biden Hosts a Virtual Appreciation Event for Educators," which is imbedded in the webpage.]
CELEBRATE AND SHARE WITH US
Help educators know just how appreciated they are by sharing a message on social media, tagging @NEAToday, and using #ThankATeacher. ...
Please see the hyperlink below for the webpage:
https://www.nea.org/TAW
By the way, I am writing this 'update' five days after National Teachers’ Day since I was actually planning to do my usual set of donations for the month of May 2024 to Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations—and to one campaign—regarding the national races for the House of Representatives, the Senate and the President of the United States, as well as the state races for the Governors, the Secretaries of State, the Attorneys General and the State Legislatures, sometime during National Teacher Appreciation Week, which is when I was planning to write an 'update' regarding the aforementioned Teacher Appreciation Week.
However, I decided to make my monthly political donations on Mother's Day instead, which is today, May 12th, 2024.
Thus, after I made my usual monthly political donations today, I remembered that I didn't write an 'update' regarding National Teachers’ Day and National Teacher Appreciation Week! So, that is why I wrote this 'update' afterward (belatedly) because I changed how I was planning to contribute for my monthly political donations—and that is why I forgot to write this 'update' before today! –Paul Whiting (May 12th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses May 4th, 2024 And May 6th, 2024: This 'update' that I am writing today, May 8th, 2024, is only from my news searches on Google, which I do as often as I can manage.
Please let me explain: I have been busy with a lot of "Online Activism" lately that takes an enormous amount of time and energy to write about, which consists of various topics that each require their own 'updates!' Besides that, I have often been engaged in editing my five blogs—whenever I notice that any of my writing needs to be revised or corrected—which can take hours to complete depending upon how much editing I have to do!
You see, I used to keep up with the news virtually on a daily basis, because there is typically that much news every day; however, I am now simply checking the news via Google searches as often as I can manage to do so. And, I usually check what's happening in the world via various Google searches that I do under the following topics:
American News
United States News
USA News
President Biden News
Joe Biden News
Democrats News
Republicans News
Political News
World News
Global Warming News
Workers On Strike News
Portland Oregon News
Then, I read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those Google news searches.
Plus, I have just been reading the titles of The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles that I receive from their daily emails. Then, I will occasionally read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those emails. That is why I recently signed up to receive email newsletters from the news organizations to which I subscribe in order for me to stay informed about what's happening in the world.
And I was formerly writing separate 'updates' for each of the news articles that I read from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles; however, after I restarted writing these news 'updates' from my news searches on Google, I also decided to restart writing the 'updates' from the above-mentioned news organizations to which I subscribe, but as a combined 'update.' (Although, highlighted articles from the above-mentioned news organizations that send me email newsletters, as well as highlighted articles from my news searches on Google, I will sometimes write together is a super-combined 'update.')
So, without further ado, I was doing my occasional news searches on Google for today May 8th, 2024, as well as two days ago, May 6th, 2024, in addition to four days ago May 4th, 2024, when I noticed many different articles from various news organizations!
And I used to provide a longer introduction to these news articles that I highlight regarding current news, on these types of 'updates' that I write, which used to include the name(s) of the author(s), as well as the date of publication in addition to some of the text from the articles; but, I decided a while ago to forego my usual writing format for all the current news 'updates.'
To that end, I also used to provide the title of each article with the news organization's name in addition to a hyperlink; however, I think that all of those hyperlinks to current news articles are causing my "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was" blog post to be flagged and unpublished for violating Blogger's Spam policy! (Please see my 'February 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses February 25th, 2024' that can be found above.)
Therefore, I am changing the format by which I write these current news 'updates' by first providing the original Google search category through which I found each article, as listed above, like I usually do. [Although, to clarify, sometimes the same article appears (or, articles appear) under different search categories.]
Then, I am providing the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of each article, as well as the author(s) name(s), in addition to the publishing date. That way, I am (hopefully) providing enough information about each article in order to make it possible for you, my readers, to do a search for any of the articles that I highlight by the publisher's name and the article's title—plus, you can also verify the subtitle, the author(s) name(s) and the publishing date—if you wish to read those articles too!
And for certain articles, I will include a few introductory paragraphs as a way to give more of a complete explanation to the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of these articles, which may also take the form of a kind of 'overview,' so to speak, by selecting particular paragraphs that I feel highlight the most important parts of these articles in order to summarize the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline'). I hope that makes sense!
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: AMERICAN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
01. CNN
Journalist sounds alarm on dangers of propaganda, calling it ‘one of the worst crises for American democracy this century’
By Oliver Darcy | Updated 10:51 PM EDT, Tue May 7, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
02. ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
Biden says US will not provide Israel with weapons to use in major Rafah invasion
He told CNN Israel has used American bombs to kill civilians in Gaza.
By Molly Nagle | May 8, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
03. Pew Research Center
Americans' Changing Relationship With Local News
As news consumption habits become more digital, U.S. adults continue to see value in local outlets
By Elisa Shearer, Katerina Eva Matsa, Michael Lipka, Kirsten Eddy and Naomi Forman-Katz | May 7, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: UNITED STATES NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 4th, 2024 search:
04. AP News
A group of Republicans has united to defend the legitimacy of US elections and those who run them
By Christina A. Cassidy | Updated 5:32 AM PDT, May 4, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 4th, 2024 search:
05. Reuters
Trump vows to fight 'anti-white feeling' in US. His allies have a plan
By Gram Slattery and Nathan Layne | May 4, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
06. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
R.F.K. Jr. Says Doctors Found a Dead Worm in His Brain
The presidential candidate has faced previously undisclosed health issues, including a parasite that he said ate part of his brain.
By Susanne Craig | May 8, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
07. The Guardian
Congress hears testimony on Russia's sonic attacks on US officials in Havana
Panel heard from expert witnesses how Russia had 'means, motive and opportunity' for covert targeting of intelligence officers.
Panel heard from expert witnesses how Russia had ‘means, motive and opportunity’ for covert targeting of intelligence officers
Richard Luscombe | 8 May 2024
By the way, after I read this article on November 4th, 2023, I noticed The Guardian News donation request below, which stated the following:
You've read 28 articles in the last year
I hope you appreciated this article. Before you move on, I wanted to ask if you would consider supporting the Guardian’s journalism as we enter one of the most consequential news cycles of our lifetimes in 2024.
With the potential of another Trump presidency looming, there are countless angles to cover around this year’s election – and we'll be there to shed light on each new development, with explainers, key takeaways and analysis of what it means for America, democracy and the world.
From Elon Musk to the Murdochs, a small number of billionaire owners have a powerful hold on so much of the information that reaches the public about what’s happening in the world. The Guardian is different. We have no billionaire owner or shareholders to consider. Our journalism is produced to serve the public interest – not profit motives.
And we avoid the trap that befalls much US media: the tendency, born of a desire to please all sides, to engage in false equivalence in the name of neutrality. We always strive to be fair. But sometimes that means calling out the lies of powerful people and institutions – and making clear how misinformation and demagoguery can damage democracy.
From threats to election integrity, to the spiraling climate crisis, to complex foreign conflicts, our journalists contextualize, investigate and illuminate the critical stories of our time. As a global news organization with a robust US reporting staff, we’re able to provide a fresh, outsider perspective – one so often missing in the American media bubble.
Around the world, readers can access the Guardian’s paywall-free journalism because of our unique reader-supported model. That’s because of people like you. Our readers keep us independent, beholden to no outside influence and accessible to everyone – whether they can afford to pay for news, or not.
If you can, please consider supporting us just once, or better yet, support us every month with a little more. Thank you.
[Name redacted]
[Title redacted], Guardian US
[✓] One-time
[ ] Monthly
[ ] Annual
Contribution amount
[ ] $75
[ ] $125
[✓] Other
Continue
---------------------------------------------
Support just once
Support us with the amount of your choice.
[ ] $75
[ ] $125
[ ] $250
[✓] Other
Enter your amount $5.00
https://support.theguardian.com/us/contribute
Thank you for supporting us today with $5 ❤️
Thank you for your contribution...
And so, I made a one-time donation to The Guardian News out of thankful consideration of the article that I just read by "supporting the Guardian’s journalism as we enter one of the most consequential news cycles of our lifetimes in 2024."
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
08. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
Biden Says the U.S. Will Not Supply Israel With Weapons to Attack Rafah
The president’s remarks underscore a growing rift over the war in Gaza. He also acknowledged that U.S. bombs have been used to kill Palestinian civilians.
By Erica L. Green | May 8, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: USA NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 4th, 2024 search:
09. USA Today
(I am a subscriber to the USA Today 'Unlimited Digital Access' Subscription.)
Seriously, GOP? MTG trying to oust Speaker Mike Johnson is a joke (If Marjorie Taylor Greene is the future of the Republican Party, I don't want it)
It's one thing for the people of Georgia to want Greene as a representative, that's their prerogative, but for the rest of the GOP to consider her as a leader in the House is another thing entirely.
By Nicole Russell | May 3, 2023
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PRESIDENT BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 4th, 2024 search:
10. ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
Biden campaign slams Trump's latest unwillingness to accept results of 2024 election
Trump's push "for revenge ... reigns supreme," Biden's campaign said.
By Lalee Ibssa and Soo Rin Kim | May 2, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 6th, 2024 search:
11. AP News
Trump says Biden is running a 'Gestapo' administration. It's his latest reference to Nazi Germany
By Bill Barrow and Lisa Mascaro | Updated 12:03 PM PDT, May 5, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: JOE BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 6th, 2024 search:
12. MSNBC News
Biden White House pushes back in response to Trump ‘Gestapo’ talk
Donald Trump’s weird whining about the White House resembling the "Gestapo" isn’t just factually wrong and morally offensive, it’s also deeply ironic.
By Steve Benen | May 6, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
13. Newsweek
President Joe Biden Is Good for the Jews and for Israel (President Joe Biden Is Good for the Jews and for Israel | Opinion)
By Halie Soifer CEO of the Jewish Democratic Council of America | May 07, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: DEMOCRATS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
14. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
Speaker Mike Johnson Survives Marjorie Taylor Greene Move to Oust Him (Johnson Survives Greene’s Ouster Attempt as Democrats Join G.O.P. to Kill It)
Republicans and Democrats banded together to block a motion by the right-wing Georgia congresswoman to remove the speaker.
By Catie Edmondson, Carl Hulse and Kayla Guo | May 8, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
15. Politico
Inside the vote to defeat Greene's effort to oust Johnson from the speakership
The vote was 359-43, with seven members voting present. Twenty-one members did not vote.
By Anthony Adragna | 05/08/2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: REPUBLICANS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 4th, 2024 search:
16. Newsweek
Full List of Republicans Condemning Marjorie Taylor Greene
By Andrew Stanton | May 03, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 4th, 2024 search:
17. Politico
Why the Senate GOP is downplaying the chances of a red wave
Republicans have a shot at more than a half-dozen Senate seats, but they’re purposefully tempering expectations after failures in 2020 and 2022.
By Burgess Everett | 05/02/2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
18. Newsweek
Marjorie Taylor Greene Booed by Republicans
By Kaitlin Lewis | May 08, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
19. NPR (National Public Radio)
Bid to oust Speaker Johnson fails but GOP turmoil remains
By Barbara Sprunt | UPDATED MAY 8, 2024 7:08 PM ET
---------------------------------------------
May 8th, 2024 search:
20. Arizona Mirror
Maricopa County Republicans censured the AZ Supreme Court because it rejected election lawsuits
By refusing to overturn the 2022 election like Kari Lake and Abe Hamadeh wanted, the court proved it was ‘biased,’ the county GOP said
By Caitlin Sievers | May 8, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: POLITICAL NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 4th, 2024 search:
21. CNN
Trump suggests he won’t accept 2024 election results
By Jake Tapper | [No publishing date provided]
By the way, the 'article' above is actually a video, which is why I didn't include the publishing date.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORLD NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: GLOBAL WARMING NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORKERS ON STRIKE NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PORTLAND OREGON NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
And I decided to highlight these articles from the various news organizations above for you, my readers, to consider reading too! –Paul Whiting (written May 8th, 2024 and revised June 21st, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 9th, 2024 Update No. 1: I received an email from the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon (ACLU of Oregon) today, May 9th, 2024, with the subject line, "ACLU of Oregon Spring Newsletter", which stated, in part, the following:
ACLU of Oregon's Spring 2024 Newsletter
Paul –
Spring is oftentimes a symbol and opportunity for a fresh start and new beginnings. In the spirit of trying something new, your ACLU of Oregon team is delighted to share with you our inaugural Spring Newsletter.
READ NOW:
https://www.aclu-or.org/en/publications/spring-2024-newsletter
In the newsletter, we discuss fresh starts, new projects and partnerships, and ways you can get involved with our work. You can also meet [name redacted], our new [title redacted]!
We often share our latest updates via social media, and we hope the newsletter will be another way for you to engage with and hear from the ACLU of Oregon team. If there are other ways you'd like to hear about our work and stay connected, please let us know!
In this newsletter, we also mention the TOGETHER Conference. I hope you will join us for a day of shared learning and relationship building on Saturday, September 21 – which will be close in time to the important November elections. ...
... Thank you for your ongoing engagement and support of our work towards a more just, equitable, and caring Oregon.
In gratitude,
[Name redacted]
Pronouns: She, her, hers
[Title redacted], ACLU of Oregon
DONATE NOW
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, regarding the ACLU of Spring 2024 Newsletter. A brief introduction to the webpage can be found below:
SPRING 2024 NEWSLETTER
In this volume of the newsletter, we discuss fresh starts, new projects and partnerships, and various ways to take action and get involved with our work. You can also say hello to [name redacted], our new [title redacted]!
We invite you to explore our newsletter with clickable links in the PDF viewer below. ...
Please see the hyperlink below for the webpage:
https://www.aclu-or.org/en/publications/spring-2024-newsletter
Plus, after I read the email above, as well as after I read the ACLU of Oregon Spring 2024 Newsletter, I made a one-time donation to the ACLU of Oregon in order to show my appreciation for the ACLU of Oregon Spring 2024 Newsletter—and because "spring is oftentimes a symbol and opportunity for a fresh start and new beginnings," so "in the spirit of trying something new, [the] ACLU of Oregon team is delighted to share with [me] [their] inaugural Spring Newsletter." –Paul Whiting (May 9th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 10th, 2024 Update No. 1: I received an email from United Farm Workers (UFW) today, May 10th, 2024, with the subject line, "It’s happening again: NY [New York] State must step in at Wafler Farms", which stated the following:
United Farm Workers
Si, Se Puede! UFW
It’s happening again: NY State must step in at Wafler Farms
In September 2023, we shared an outrageous video with you showing the abuse and intimidation at Wafler Farms. Hundreds of thousands of people watched the video. Thousands of people took action telling the New York Department of Labor to intervene immediately. But they didn't. Now it appears worker leaders are being retaliated against. We need your help in demanding the NY DOL take action.
As you may remember, in this profanity-filled rant lasting several minutes, owner Paul Wafler says, "You don't get organized in the morning to get in the van and go. That's tough s***t. The job starts when we leave. Not because you're just standing in here. Let's get that real g** d*** clear. And if you want to leave the lights on the van and then delay everything to get going because you still don't know how to drive a van again, that's tough s*** too." (Full video can be seen on the "Take Action" page.)
After UFW posted this video on social media, the workers who were suspected of filming the video told us they began receiving extra attention and scrutiny on the job. In addition, throughout the 2023 season, workers expressed concern over issues around wage theft, occupational health and safety and general issues with disrespect and verbal abuse.
Typically in early spring, Wafler begins recalling H2A workers. This year some of the workers suspected of being active union supporters, who had previously been called back in the first wave, were not recalled at the typical time and one has still not been recalled. Instead, less senior workers were recalled. The company's lawyers refused to say why. This has created a chilling environment for the other workers as they fear retaliation.
Tell the NY Department of Labor they should immediately investigate and act. They should require Wafler to recall the worker right away and give the workers back pay for the time they missed. As they continue to recall workers, Wafler should respect seniority. Ask the Waflers to respect NY state law and stop intimidating and retaliating against workers who have been outspoken about labor violations. Additionally, they must address the issues of alleged wage theft, safety and abusive managers.
Take Action!
PS: After you take action you can also share this campaign on Facebook & Twitter.*
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below—and that text is mostly the same information which is contained in the email above, with additional information:
It's happening again: NY State must step in at Wafler Farms
"Sept 8, 2023: Listen to how the owner of NYs Wafler Farms treated his workers." from YouTube:
https://youtu.be/wbc-CGMydHU?si=ycEYWeZu7Z3KnEWH
In September 2023, we shared an outrageous video with you showing the abuse and intimidation at Wafler Farms. Hundreds of thousands of people watched the video. Thousands of people took action telling the New York Department of Labor to intervene immediately. But they didn't. Now it appears worker leaders are being retaliated against. We need your help in demanding the NY DOL take action.
As you may remember, in this profanity-filled rant lasting several minutes, owner Paul Wafler says, "You don't get organized in the morning to get in the van and go. That's tough s***t. The job starts when we leave. Not because you're just standing in here. Let's get that real g** d*** clear. And if you want to leave the lights on the van and then delay everything to get going because you still don't know how to drive a van again, that's tough s*** too." (Full video can be seen on the "Take Action" page.)
After UFW posted this video on social media, the workers who were suspected of filming the video told us they began receiving extra attention and scrutiny on the job. In addition, throughout the 2023 season, workers expressed concern over issues around wage theft, occupational health and safety and general issues with disrespect and verbal abuse.
Typically in early spring, Wafler begins recalling H2A workers. This year some of the workers suspected of being active union supporters, who had previously been called back in the first wave, were not recalled at the typical time and one has still not been recalled. Instead, less senior workers were recalled. The company's lawyers refused to say why. This has created a chilling environment for the other workers as they fear retaliation.
Tell the NY Department of Labor they should immediately investigate and act. They should require Wafler to recall the worker right away and give the workers back pay for the time they missed. As they continue to recall workers, Wafler should respect seniority. Ask the Waflers to respect NY state law and stop intimidating and retaliating against workers who have been outspoken about labor violations. Additionally, they must address the issues of alleged wage theft, safety and abusive managers.
Contact Information
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Postal Code (Optional): [redacted]
State/Province (Optional): [redacted]
Email: [redacted]
Subject: NY State must step in at Wallen Farms
NY State Department of Labor Enforcement Division,
Wafler Farms' apple workers need you to please do your job. Thousands emailed you about wage theft and other abuses back in September 2023. You didn't act, even after the video came out showing some of what was going on there.
Now Wafler Farms looks to the retaliating against worker leaders who were vocal with their concerns. This year some of the workers suspected of being active union supporters, who had previously been called back in the first wave, were not recalled at the typical time and one has still not been recalled.
The NY State Department of Labor must act immediately. You should requre Wafler to recall the workers right away and give these workers back pay for missed work time. As they continue to recall workers, Wafler should respect seniority. Ask Waflers to respect NY state law and stop intimidating and retaliating against workers who have been outspoken about labor violations. Additionally they must address the issues of alleged wage theft, safety and abusive managers. The UFW, the union certified to represent the workers at Wafler, has previously fed charges with you.
We ask you to immediately please investigate and act. Thank you!
Sincerely,
[Your information here]
*I selected the "Share on Twitter" option (by the way, I only have a Twitter account so I can read tweets which are included in some online articles that I read) in order for me to provide you, my readers, with the text and hyperlink below:
Pro-union workers at Wafler Farms aren’t being recalled at the usual time. Tell @NYSLabor to make Wafler respect the law & not retaliate against pro-UFW workers who are outspoken on labor violations.
https://act.seiu.org/a/waflerdol2024?ms=tellfriend_t&ceid=442257&snw=2&ref=35b780a8-08e2-49d7-81e4-533226e38722#!
And, after I sent the email above to the New York State Department of Labor Enforcement Division, via the SEIU.org (Service Employees International Union) website, I made a one-time donation to United Farm Workers in order to "tell @NYSLabor to [please] make Wafler respect the law & not retaliate against pro-UFW workers who are outspoken on labor violations." –Paul Whiting (May 10th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For my "May 12th, 2024 Update No. 1"—since this 'update' is a part of my ⋆USO⋆ donations—please see my blog post titled, "My Point Of View On...Giving Charity And Accepting Charity," which can be found on both of my "Paul Whiting — Math Magician" and "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" blogs. An introduction to the 'update' can be found below:
May 12th, 2024 Update No. 1: Happy Mother's Day, everyone! In celebration of Mother's Day, I did a Google search for "Mother's Day USO" and found the following USO (United Service Organizations) search result regarding Mother's Day:
United Service Organizations
Sign the card: Thank the mothers moms serving our country this Mother's Day
This Mother's Day, the USO is thanking moms in the military for their service and sacrifice. Sign the card to military moms!
And, after I read the search results above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
★★★USO★★★
50,000 signatures needed to hit our goal!
→→→→→19,857
This Mother’s Day, the USO is thanking moms in the military for their service and sacrifice. Sign the card to military moms!
Thank you for all you do for our country, and happy Mother’s Day!
Sincerely,
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Email: [redacted]
SIGN THE CARD
---------------------------------------------
Thanks for signing the card! Will you take a few minutes to complete a quick survey about supporting all of our nation's heroes?
The USO supports America's men and women in uniform at more than 200 locations around the world, including on the front lines in places like Djibouti and Afghanistan. How important is it to you that Americans continue supporting our deployed service members?
[✓] Extremely important
[ ] Very important
[ ] Somewhat important
[ ] Not at all important
The USO is more than concerts and airport lounges. Which of the ways we support our military men and women do you believe are valuable? Check all that apply.
[✓] Providing connections to family, home and country during deployments.
[✓] Helping military personnel and their families transition back into civilian life.
[✓] Supporting military families whose loved ones are deployed.
[✓] Providing support and rehabilitation for wounded, ill and injured service members.
[✓] Delivering special gifts and cheer to our heroes through programs like USO2GO.
Thousands of service men and women are currently deployed overseas, including in combat zones in Iraq and Afghanistan. Have you or a family member or friend ever served in the U.S. military?
[✓] Yes
[ ] No
How important do you think it is to support our nation's heroes and help them stay connected to family back home during deployment?
[✓] Extremely important
[ ] Important
[ ] Somewhat important
[ ] Not at all important
A Navy lieutenant commander recently told us that USO Care Packages are a "constant reminder to those of us out 'in the sandbox' that we are not forgotten and folks back home actually care."
Now, as we work to deliver our brave service members a touch of home, we need to ask for your support.
It takes a lot of time, coordination and money to get our care packages to more than 200,000 service members who are away from their families, sacrificing so much defending our freedoms. The USO is not a government agency we rely on the generosity and patriotism of citizens like you.
But right now, time is running out before our midnight deadline, and we need your support. Help us make sure that we have the resources to support our troops. Will you please donate by MIDNIGHT tonight to send a little bit of home to our service members and show them how thankful you are?
[ ] Yes, I'll donate $35 or more. Send me a T- shirt!
[✓] Yes, I'll donate but don't want a T-shirt!
[ ] No, I don't want to donate to support our service members today.
---------------------------------------------
Help Connect our Heroes to Home
It takes a lot of time, coordination and money to get our care packages and other essentials to more than 200,000 service members who are away from their families, sacrificing so much defending our freedoms.
Will you please donate by MIDNIGHT tonight to send a little bit of home to pur service members and show them how thankful you are?
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
[ ] $25
[ ] $50
[ ] $75
[ ] $100
[ ] $250
[ ] $500
[ ] $1,000
[✓] $ 10.00
And so, I signed the USO Mother's Day card "thanking moms in the military for their service and sacrifice." Plus, after I signed the card, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website to say to our military moms, "Thank you for all you do for our country, and happy Mother's Day!" ...
Please see the hyperlinks below for the post, within which you can do a find-in-page search for the 'update' labeled, "May 12th, 2024 Update No. 1":
https://paulwhitingmath.blogspot.com/2015/05/my-point-of-view-on-charity.html
https://paulwhitingwriting.blogspot.com/2022/07/my-point-of-view-on-part-16-giving-to.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 12th, 2024 Update No. 2, Which Also Discusses May 11th, 2024: National Nurses Week is yearly (annually) from May 6th through May 12th.
And I received an email from Planned Parenthood Federation of America yesterday, May 11th, 2024, with the subject line, "I'm a nurse. Here are the facts.", which stated the following:
Paul,
Patients often come into health centers with lots of questions about the care they can receive. What is medication abortion? Is it safe and effective? Is it like Plan B?
Nurses like me all across the country have the answers. Yes, medication abortion is a safe and effective way to end an early pregnancy. No, it's not like Plan B. Medication abortion ends a pregnancy, while emergency contraception like Plan B prevents pregnancy from happening altogether.
It's frustrating to watch abortion opponents spread misinformation about care like medication abortion. Mifepristone, one of two medications commonly known as the "abortion pill," has been used by millions of patients for abortion and miscarriage management for decades — and right now, lawmakers are using courts to interfere with the scientific facts that nurses know (https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/rightfully-ours/bans-off-our-bodies/mifepristone-medication-abortion-what-you-need-to-know).*
After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, care became so much less accessible for people all over the country. And now health care providers have to worry that the Supreme Court could decide to curb access to mifepristone — a decision which will harm even more people.
This is why as a nurse, I'm asking you to help protect and preserve crucial — and safe! — abortion care like mifepristone today. Donate now to help people access the care they deserve!
DONATE***
Mifepristone really does expand access to care. In some states, patients can make a telehealth appointment to be prescribed mifepristone, and can even have the pill sent to them discreetly in the mail. And mifepristone is common: In 2021, more than 60% of all documented abortions were medication abortions.
Here's what nurses like myself will tell you: This attempt to overturn the FDA's approval isn't about science — it's about politics. Patients deserve access to the medication they need.
Providers like me need your help to protect access to care like mifepristone. Donate today to help protect and restore access to reproductive health care and provide accurate information through sex education.
Thank you, Paul, for your support! Across the country, health centers are working to provide compassionate care — it's one of my favorite things about being a nurse. And knowing we have you behind us makes the work even sweeter.
[Name redacted]
[Title redacted]
DONATE NOW »***
*[Blogger's Note: I read the Planned Parenthood Action Fund's webpage titled, "What You Need to Know About the Latest Attack on Abortion Care: the Mifepristone Abortion Pill," which is referenced above.]
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And so, after I read the email above, I made a one-time donation to Planned Parenthood Federation of America today, May 12th, 2024, in order to show my support for National Nurses Week, as well as "to help protect and restore access to reproductive health care and provide accurate information through sex education." –Paul Whiting (May 12th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 12th, 2024 Update No. 3, Written On May 13th, 2024, Which Also Discusses April 18th, 2024: Happy Mother's Day, everyone!
[Blogger's Note: This 'update' that I am writing today, May 13th, 2024, is for donations that I made yesterday, May 12th, 2024, as part of my series of donations for the month of May to Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations—and to one campaign—regarding the national races for the House of Representatives (the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee), the Senate (the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee) and the President of the United States (the Democratic National Committee and Biden for President, or the Biden Victory Fund), as well as the state races for the Governors (the Democratic Governors Association), the Secretaries of State (the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State), the Attorneys General (the Democratic Attorneys General Association) and the State Legislatures (the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee), during this fifth month of the year for the 2024 Presidential Election. In addition to that, I made a donation to my local Democratic fundraising and coordinating organization (Democratic Party of Oregon). Plus, I made donations to Political Action Committees (PACs) that are helping to elect political candidates who are working to stop global warming (Jane Fonda Climate PAC), and helping to elect candidates who are pro-choice women (EMILYs List), as well as helping to elect candidates who are U.S. Veterans (VoteVets), in addition to helping young people to vote (Voters of Tomorrow PAC).]
I received a mailer from the Biden Victory Fund twenty five days ago on April 18th, 2024, with a 'front teaser message' on the envelope that read, "Trump favors power over principle. Paul, let's do what's right for America.", which stated the following:
[I used to hand-type the text of the documents from these types of mailers on my smartphone; however, it takes a lot of time and energy in order to hand-type these kinds of documents: so, instead, I scanned and copied the documents using Google Lens! Then, I edited the copy of said documents to include all of the italicizing, bolding and/or underscoring where applicable.]
BIDEN VICTORY FUND
Dear Paul,
This November, we'll answer the most urgent question of our time: Is democracy still America's sacred cause? It's what the 2024 election is all about.
Donald Trump's campaign is all about him. It's not about America and not about you. His campaign is obsessed with the past, not the future. He's willing to sacrifice our democracy to put himself in power.
We have heard from his own mouth his plans for a day-one dictatorship, a justice system that attacks his personal enemies, and an extreme agenda that takes away our rights and freedoms.
You're a critical member of my team, and I want to be frank: Trump is riding high and will use his platform as the Republican nominee to distort our record and sow divisions amongst Americans.
I believe that we are stronger than what divides us. We know the truth about the accomplishments we've made together, and how much more we want to achieve. Make no mistake, what's at stake is the very soul of our nation. I won't stop working to defend and secure our democracy. But I can't do that without your help.
Your last gift of $1 helped us start 2024 strong, but Paul, I am humbly asking you to please give again. This is a crucial moment in the campaign when we must speak directly to voters about how dangerous another Trump presidency would be. Will you please give $25, $38, or even $50 today, so that we can ensure victory in November?
In less than one term, we have done more than what some administrations accomplish in two. We've helped create 15 million jobs, lowered prescription drug prices for seniors, made historic investments in our nation's infrastructure and clean energy future, and passed the first significant new federal gun legislation in 30 years with bipartisan support.
We're just getting started, but all of this progress is at risk if we don't secure a second term. And there is something far greater at stake here: our democracy itself.
Our opponent poses many threats to our hard fought rights and freedoms — but he poses the greatest threat to our democracy. If we lose in November, we could lose everything.
His assault on democracy isn't just part of his past. It's what he's promising for the future. There's no confusion about who he is and what he intends to do.
• His first rally for the 2024 campaign opened with a choir of January 6 insurrectionists singing from prison, the same people who he called "patriots" for their violent assault on the Capitol, and pledged to pardon.
• He condones violence against his political enemies and would use our government to seek revenge and retribution against those who oppose him.
• He's said he'd be a dictator on day one and justified "the termination of all the rules, regulation, and articles, even those found in the Constitution."
• He threatened the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff with the death penalty because the Chairman put his oath to the Constitution ahead of his personal loyalty to Trump.
• He is "proud" of his role overturning Roe v. Wade, ripping away women's freedoms across the country.
Trump claims to uphold law and order, but he sows lawlessness and disorder. This November, democracy is on the ballot. Without democracy, no progress is possible. The alternative to democracy is dictatorship — the rule of one, not the rule of "We the People."
He refers to the United States as "a failing nation." But I believe in America's possibilities. Just look at what we've already accomplished:
• We grew the economy 3.1% last year — beating forecasts of a recession and stronger than during the Trump administration.
• We currently have more people working and more people with health coverage than ever before.
• We passed the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law that has created good-paying jobs to build and upgrade our roads, bridges, and transportation while also replacing lead pipes to supply clean water, expanding access to high-speed internet, and transitioning to clean energy.
• We signed executive orders protecting reproductive health care and expanding access to contraception.
Look, all that progress is at stake in the next election, and we need to elect Democrats all across the country. Which is why I am asking you to please make your most generous contribution to the Biden Victory Fund today.
Trump's extremist agenda will make it harder for Americans to vote, strip away our fundamental freedoms, and restrict education by rewriting our nation's history.
But I am not going to let that happen.
Let's continue building a more fair and more free America — one where the economy is built from the middle out and the bottom up, not the top down. An America that restores Roe so that, once again, women have the freedom to make their own health care decisions. And an America that protects our most vulnerable, where everyone can live, work, and retire with the dignity owed to every single one of us.
We can't allow our country to be destroyed by a man more interested in power than principle. It's up to us to defend our democracy and finish the job we started. I won't stop fighting — democracy is on the ballot. I hope you will continue to show your support for Democrats nationwide by sending a contribution today so that we ensure that our best days are to come.
Sincerely,
Joe Biden
President of the United States
P.S. Donald Trump wants to undermine our democracy and take away the freedom to choose, wants to grow our economy only for the wealthy, and takes no action to keep our communities safe from gun violence. I am fighting for our democratic ideals, the progress we've made over the last three years, and for an America that is more fair and more free for all. Can I count on you?
---------------------------------------------
DO YOU BELIEVE IN AN AMERICA THAT IS MORE FREE,
MORE FAIR, AND MORE PROSPEROUS FOR US ALL?
[✓] Yes, Joe! I want to help you finish the job and preserve our democracy. Trump's extremist agenda would be disastrous for our country and our people. I am sending my contribution today to the Biden Victory Fund so that we can win the White House again, elect Democrats nationwide, and keep working for the American people.
[ ] $25
[ ] $38
[ ] $50
[✓] Other $5.00
Please make your check payable to the Biden Victory Fund.
Or if you prefer to charge your contribution, please fill out the form on the reverse.
You can also contribute online by visiting www.democrats.org/AprilDonate.
Paul Whiting
[Street Address and Apt. No. redacted]
[City, State and ZIP Code redacted]
BIDEN VICTORY FUND
And, after I read the letter above, I typed the web address to the referenced webpage in my browser, the relevant text of which can be found below:
Biden Victory Fund
Donate to reelect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris
Joe Biden and Kamala Marris are running for reelection.
It's going to take this full team at Joe and Kamala's backs to finish the job and deliver for Democrats, including four more years in the White House. Will you pitch in today to help Joe, Kamala, and Democrats nationwide?
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Biden Victory Fund.
[ ] Donate $2 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $1,000→
[ ] Donate $2,000→
[✓] Other $5.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.35 (7%)
So, I made a one-time donation to the Biden Victory Fund (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to confirm the reply memorandum statement: "Yes, Joe! I want to help you finish the job and preserve our democracy. Trump's extremist agenda would be disastrous for our country and our people. I am sending my contribution today to the Biden Victory Fund so that we can win the White House again, elect Democrats nationwide, and keep working for the American people." –Paul Whiting (May 13th, 2024)
P.S.: Just so you know, "I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ... due to the fact that I have been spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations." (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) Therefore, "I am reducing how much I donate for the regular mail requests that I receive (to which I choose to respond) to take action." Thus, I will still be responding to some of the regular mail requests that I receive (to which I choose to respond), which are requesting me to take action, but I am reducing the amount that I donate to organizations from which I receive mailers. (Please see my 'August 19th, 2023 Update,' which can be found above.)
In addition to that, I used to donate "$5.00 per political organization"; however, I have decided to adjust that amount, so that I can donate to more political organizations and PACs (Political Action Committees) while I am still staying within my 'monthly donating budget.'
Thus, for the rest of the 2024 election cycle—as well as for the foreseeable future—I have made a goal of donating $3.00 per local political campaign only here in Oregon (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.21), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, and a goal of donating $4.00 per political organization for donation requests via email or text message (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.28), as well as a goal of donating $5.00 per political organization, or per PAC, for donation requests via the regular mail (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.35).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 12th, 2024 Update No. 4, Written On May 13th, 2024, Which Also Discusses April 19th, 2024, May 1st, 2024, May 2nd, 2024, May 6th, 2024, As Well As May 11th, 2024: Happy Mother's Day, everyone!
[Blogger's Note: This 'update' that I am writing today, May 13th, 2024, is for donations that I made yesterday, May 12th, 2024, as part of my series of donations for the month of May to Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations—and to one campaign—regarding the national races for the House of Representatives (the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee), the Senate (the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee) and the President of the United States (the Democratic National Committee and Biden for President, or the Biden Victory Fund), as well as the state races for the Governors (the Democratic Governors Association), the Secretaries of State (the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State), the Attorneys General (the Democratic Attorneys General Association) and the State Legislatures (the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee), during this fifth month of the year for the 2024 Presidential Election. In addition to that, I made a donation to my local Democratic fundraising and coordinating organization (Democratic Party of Oregon). Plus, I made donations to Political Action Committees (PACs) that are helping to elect political candidates who are working to stop global warming (Jane Fonda Climate PAC), and helping to elect candidates who are pro-choice women (EMILYs List), as well as helping to elect candidates who are U.S. Veterans (VoteVets), in addition to helping young people to vote (Voters of Tomorrow PAC).]
I have combined every political campaign, or political organization, donation request per day (made via email or text message) into one 'update' for each day that I donate, so that I don't have to keep writing individual 'updates' for political campaign donations, or political organization donations!
You see, I used to write one 'update' for each of the individual campaign political donations, or political organization donations, that I made virtually every time that I made a political donation. And within each 'update' I included the text from each political campaign's, or political organization's, requesting email or text message, along with some of each campaign's, or organization's, donation page text on the ActBlue website, as well as how much I donated to each campaign, or organization, plus whether I included a tip to ActBlue and how much I tipped.
(By the way, I still write individual 'updates' for political campaign, or political organization, mailers that I receive through the regular mail, because they are usually more elaborate political donation requests, which is why I don't include them with these email or text message requests.)
Plus, the 2024 election cycle is in full gear and I have made a goal of donating only one $3.00 donation per local political campaign here in Oregon (more on that below), or $4.00 per political organization, for the rest of the election cycle! And that means after I make that one donation per campaign, or per organization—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I am only donating once per campaign, or per organization, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And I am only donating once per PAC (Political Action Committee) for the entire election cycle, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, because that is all that I can really afford for the 2024 Presidential Election. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) I hope that makes sense!
Besides that, as of March 21st, 2024, I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future (with the exception of local campaigns here in Oregon), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis (please see my 'March 21st, 2024 Update No. 2,' which can be found above), as I have explained below:
...Alright, I have a big announcement to make: I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis!
And I have made this decision based upon how much these individual political campaign donations are costing in my 'monthly donating budget'—even though I am only donating $3.00 with a $0.21 tip to ActBlue—since I totally changed the way that I approach how I calculate what I am spending on my credit card each month, starting in 2024! So now, I take the total amount that I have available in my monthly budget for my minimum payment on my credit card—as well as my extra payment—and I calculate how much I am reducing that amount each time that I charge on my credit card.
That way, I am very aware of the amount by which I am reducing my total available credit card payments for the month (the minimum payment and the extra payment) in order to, hopefully, pay more on my credit card than I am spending! Plus, I am also utilizing some funds from my budgeted expenses, as well as some funds from my savings, to make sure that I am paying a little more than I am spending while—at the same time—I am also trying to spend less on my credit card.
Therefore, at the start of 2024, I calculated that I could still make ONE $3.00 donation per political campaign for the entire election cycle. And that means after I have made that one donation per campaign—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I have only donated once per campaign, which is what I have been doing so far!
However, it's still more than I can afford given my 'monthly donating budget,' which is why I have decided to stop donating to individual political campaigns entirely—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And so, I will still be making some donations to individual political campaigns (such as to Joe Biden's campaign for President of the United States, or to local campaigns here in Oregon), but I am not donating like I have been up until this point—which has been virtually every time that I have received a political campaign donation request via email or text message—because I seriously cannot afford to donate that much for the rest of the 2024 Presidential Election cycle, as well as for the foreseeable future.
And to clarify one more thing: In the past, I used to only donate to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations—rather than to individual campaigns—since that's all I really could afford given my 'monthly spending budget,' because I am "low income." Plus, those Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations help all of the individual political campaigns with funding, which is why I used to only donate to those main organizations! And I only started donating to individual political campaigns in 2022, since I was "doing everything in my power to help Democrats win in the 2022 Midterm Elections!" Therefore, this decision to stop donating to individual political campaigns (with the exception of presidential campaigns and local campaigns, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis) is really just going back to the way that I used to make political donations.
In addition to that, I used to donate "$5.00 per political organization"; however, starting on May 12th, 2024, I decided to adjust that amount, so that I can donate to more political organizations and PACs (Political Action Committees) while I am still staying within my 'monthly donating budget.'
Thus, as I partially explained above, for the rest of the 2024 election cycle—as well as for the foreseeable future—I have made a goal of donating $3.00 per local political campaign only here in Oregon (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.21), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, and a goal of donating $4.00 per political organization for donation requests via email or text message (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.28), as well as a goal of donating $5.00 per political organization, or per PAC, for donation requests via the regular mail (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
To sum it up, then: I am essentially keeping the same total individual campaign donation amount of $3.21, but I am only donating to local campaigns here in Oregon, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for email and text message donation requests to $4.28 (from $5.35); plus, I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for regular mail donation requests to $5.35 (from $7.51), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
So, without further ado...
The first political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was a text message that I received twenty four days ago on April 19th, 2024, from the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State Legal Fund (DASS Legal Fund), which stated the following:
After the 2020 election, Trump and his surrogates filed 62 lawsuits contesting election processes, vote counting, and the vote certification process in nine states. Nearly all of these were dismissed or dropped.
And Trump’s MAGA allies running for Secretary of State followed suit:
[Name redacted] filed lawsuits before her double digit loss in Michigan. [Name redacted] tried to overturn his loss in Nevada. [Name redacted] is still pushing lawsuits to overturn his loss in Arizona.
With the ringleader of the election-denier movement at the top of the ticket this November, we expect more court cases and more chaos leading up to, and after, November 5th.
That’s why we’re reaching out and counting on your support:
Can you make a donation to the DASS Legal Fund today? Your support will help us fight for our democracy in the courtroom and stop the attacks on our elections.***
-DASS Legal Fund
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the text message above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
Democratic Association of Secretaries of State
When federal action stalls, state laws decide the future of our republic. We can't let those laws fall into the hands of partisan, conspiracy-loving GOP legislatures.
Our Democratic Secretaries protect our elections — even when Congress is deadlocked. They're the last line of defense for your rights, and they need your help this year more than ever. Rush a donation now and defend our Secretaries of State!
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit DASS PAC.
[ ] Donate $15 →
[ ] Donate $35 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[✓] Other amount $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the DASS Legal Fund (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, because "[my] support will help [DASS Legal Fund] fight for our democracy in the courtroom and stop the attacks on our elections," since, "with the ringleader of the election-denier movement at the top of the ticket this November, [DASS Legal Fund expects] more court cases and more chaos leading up to, and after, November 5th."
---------------------------------------------
The second political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was an email from the Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA) that I received twelve days ago on May 1st, 2024, with the subject line, "We want to hear from you, Paul", which stated the following:
As we work together to elect more Dem AGs and protect the progress made by our incumbents, it’s so important that we know what issues are at the top of your mind, Paul. Will you take a few moments to complete our brief priorities survey? >>***
Your priorities and concerns are the driving force behind the work we do — we need to know what drives you to the polls, what you talk about at your kitchen table, and what issues matter most to you this year.
Our team values your insight; it informs our strategy and helps us run better programs. The best way to help us out today is by taking our May issues survey. It’s a quick, easy opportunity for you to tell us directly what you want our AGs to address most urgently.
Please, take just a few moments to fill out our short May issues survey. The results will help inform our decision-making as we get further into the critical 2024 election year.
TAKE THE SURVEY***
We appreciate you for sharing your concerns with us. We always value your input!
— Team DAGA
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
DEMOCRATIC
ATTORNEYS
GENERAL
ASSOCIATION
What issues matter the most to you?
We want to hear directly from you! Can you take our quick, four-question survey, to let us know what's most important to you:
FIRST NAME (Optional): Paul
LAST NAME (Optional): Whiting
POSTAL CODE: [redacted]
EMAIL: [redacted]
MOBILE PHONE (Optional): [redacted]
WHICH OF THESE ISSUES SHOULD DEMOCRATIC AGS PRIORITIZE MOVING FORWARD? (Optional)
[✓] FIGHTING FOR AN ECONOMY THAT WORKS FOR EVERYONE, NOT JUST THE ULTRA WEALTHY
[✓] PROTECTING THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND OUR DEMOCRATIC SYSTEM
[✓] WORKING TOWARDS AN EQUITABLE JUSTICE SYSTEM FOR ALL AMERICANS
[✓] PROTECTING CONSUMERS FROM BAD ACTORS LOOKING TO EXPLOIT THEM
[✓] FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHTS OF WORKERS
[✓] DEFENDING OUR ENVIRONMENT, ESPECIALLY CLEAN AIR AND WATER
[✓] ENSURING THAT MORE PEOPLE HAVE ACCESS TO QUALITY, AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE
[✓] DEFENDING THE RIGHT TO ACCESS AN ABORTION [PLUS] REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH CARE
[✓] PROTECTING PUBLIC SAFETY
[ ] OTHER
HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO YOU TO HAVE ELECTED OFFICIALS AT THE STATE LEVEL WHO WILL CONTINUE TO ADVOCATE FOR PROGRESS ON THESE ISSUES? (Optional)
[✓] EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
[ ] VERY IMPORTANT
[ ] SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT
[ ] NOT AT ALL IMPORTANT
WHICH BEST REPRESENTS YOUR OPINION WHEN IT COMES TO ELECTION STRATEGY? (Optional)
[✓] I THINK IT'S CRITICAL TO SUPPORT DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES AND CAUSES YEAR- ROUND, SO WE'RE READY FOR ANYTHING
[ ] I ONLY ENGAGE WHEN THERE'S A BIG PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION COMING UP.
WE NEED GRASSROOTS DEMOCRATIC SUPPORTERS LIKE YOU TO HELP US ELECT AND REELECT DEM AGS ACROSS THE COUNTRY. CAN YOU MAKE A CONTRIBUTION? (Optional)
[✓] YES, I CAN GIVE $5 TO HELP ELECT DEM AGS [ATTORNEYS GENERAL].*
[ ] YES, I CAN GIVE $20.24 TO HELP ELECT DEM AGS IN RACES ACROSS OUR COUNTRY.
[ ] YES, AND I CAN GIVE MORE, BECAUSE IT'S CRUCIAL WE WIN THESE KEY RACES.
[ ] NO, I CAN'T GIVE TODAY, BUT I KNOW THIS IS IMPORTANT WORK THAT NEEDS TO BE FUNDED.
SUBMIT
*[Blogger's Note: I selected this option—although I donated less than $5.00—because it's an option that got me to the donation webpage!]
---------------------------------------------
DEMOCRATIC ATTORNEYS GENERAL ASSOCIATION
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE!
NOW TAKE THE NEXT STEP:
From abortion access to voting rights, Dem AGs are on the front lines, defending our democracy and protecting our communities.
Make a donation to DAGA to elect more Dem AGs in 2024 and beyond — starting right here and now.
DONATE IMMEDIATELY:
Your contribution will benefit Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA) PAC.
[ ] DONATE $5 →
[ ] DONATE $10 →
[ ] DONATE $25 →
[ ] DONATE $50 →
[ ] DONATE $100 →
[ ] DONATE $250 →
[ ] DONATE $500 →
[✓] OTHER AMOUNT $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the DAGA (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to complete "[filling] out [the DAGA's] short May issues survey," since "the results will help inform [the DAGA's] decision-making as [they] get further into the critical 2024 election year." That is why I "[took the DAGA's] quick, four-question survey, to let [them] know what's most important to [me]!"
---------------------------------------------
The third political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was an email from the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) that I received eleven days ago on May 2nd, 2024, with the subject line, "$50 helps defeat MAGA extremists this November →", which stated the following:
President Biden is calling on Democrats to help protect our democracy:
The threat remains and democracy must be defended.
The fight for... our rights, our freedoms, & our democracy ...starts in the states.
We need widespread grassroots support to defeat MAGA extremists this fall.
Can we count on you to own a piece of this fight?
Heed President Biden’s call to action and rally behind state Dems with a gift of $7 or more:
If you've stored your payment information with ActBlue Express, your donation will process immediately.
[ ] Chip in $50 now »
[ ] Chip in $100 now »
[ ] Chip in $250 now »
[ ] Chip in $1000 now »
[✓] Chip in another amount »
Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
DLCC
DEMOCRATIC LEGISLATIVE CAMPAIGN COMMITTEE
Join the fight! Chip in today.
🗳️Elect state Dems in critical special elections
💰Fund our strategic investments in 2024, 2025, and beyond
❌Counter Republican extremism in the states
Can you chip in today?
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit DLCC PAC.
[ ] Donate $10 →
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Donate $1,000→
[✓] Other amount $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the DLCC (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, because "President Biden is calling on Democrats to help protect our democracy," since "the fight for... our rights, our freedoms, & our democracy
...starts in the states."
---------------------------------------------
The fourth political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was a text message seven days ago on May 6th, 2024, from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC), which stated the following:
I met with Norah O'Donnell on 60 𝘔𝘪𝘯𝘶𝘵𝘦𝘴 to share how the future of our democracy hinges on Democrats winnin back the House in November. 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘄𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝘂𝗹𝗹 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘃𝗶𝗲𝘄 𝗯𝘆 𝗰𝗹𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗼𝘄.
If you can chip in $10 to the DCCC before, during, or after watching, it would mean the world to have your support.***
- Hakeem
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the text message above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
Watch my interview on 60 Minutes & chip in to help flip the House!
"60 House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries: The 60 Minutes Interview" from YouTube:
https://youtu.be/nA8iuoRNQws?si=M7tJs5niMTy3-MgJ
I just got off 60 Minutes — can you chip in $5 below to help Democrats flip the House and end Republicans extreme MAGA Majority?
[Blogger's Note: I watched the video above that is titled, "60 House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries: The 60 Minutes Interview." And this is actually the second time that I have watched Leader Hakeem Jeffries' interview on 60 Minutes, with the first time being on May 5th, 2024, where the video had the alternative title, "Leader Jeffries on CBS' 60 Minutes."]
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit the DCCC.
[✓] Donate $4 →
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Donate $1,000 →
[ ] Other amount
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the DCCC (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to show my appreciation for "60 House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries: The 60 Minutes Interview," by contributing "to help Democrats flip the House and end Republicans extreme MAGA Majority."
---------------------------------------------
The fifth political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was an email from the Democratic National Committee (DNC) that I received two days ago on May 11th, 2024, with the subject line, "Four quick sentences about the work we’re doing: We wanted to send you a super short email about the DNC's mission.", which stated the following:
We’ll keep this short so you can get back to your weekend, Paul.
The DNC’s mission is to elect Democrats at all levels of government, from local office to the Oval Office. We rely on grassroots donations from donors like you to help fund the work we’re doing all across the country -- and a lot of those contributions come from emails just like this one.
So we’re asking: Will you pitch in $35 now to help support the DNC’s work?
If you've saved payment information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately.
[ ] EXPRESS DONATE: $35
[ ] EXPRESS DONATE: $70
[ ] EXPRESS DONATE: $122
[ ] EXPRESS DONATE: $175
[ ] EXPRESS DONATE: $350
[✓] DONATE: OTHER
Thanks,
The Democrats
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
DEMOCRATS
Donate to the DNC and help elect Democrats nationwide!
The Democratic Party is counting on your support to hold the GOP accountable and elect more Democrats up and down the ballot.
Donate to the DNC and invest in the resources our candidates rely on to compete and win year after year.
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Democratic National Committee (DNC).
[✓] $4 →
[ ] $20 →
[ ] $50 →
[ ] $100 →
[ ] $250 →
[ ] $1,000 →
[ ] $2,000 →
[ ] Other
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the DNC (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, because "the DNC’s mission is to elect Democrats at all levels of government, from local office to the Oval Office," and "[they] rely on grassroots donations from donors like [me] to help fund the work [they're] doing all across the country."
---------------------------------------------
The sixth political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was an email from the Democratic Governors Association (DGA) that I received two days ago on May 11th, 2024, with the subject line, "This impacts almost 70 MILLION Americans", which stated the following:
Do you approve of President Biden’s response to Social Security & Medicare?
[✓] YES***
[ ] SOMEWHAT
[ ] UNSURE
[ ] NO
Paul, President Biden continues to be a brick wall against the GOP’s attacks on Social Security and Medicare. He has boldly promised throughout his presidency to stop ANYONE from making cuts to these vital funds or raising the retirement age – and he has kept that promise by:
[✓] Calling on Congress to protect and strengthen benefits that impact nearly 70 million Americans.
[✓] Announcing a huge 8.7% (over $50 more per month on average) increase in payments.
[✓] Cutting down healthcare expenses, setting a $35 a month cap on insulin costs for seniors, and reducing prescription drug prices for seniors and countless others.
While Joe is protecting these crucial benefits, both the GOP and Trump are working tirelessly to cut Social Security and Medicare benefits for those who need them the most. GOP legislators have held secret closed-door meetings and tried to attach cuts to debt ceiling legislation, and Trump has even called for cuts to Social Security and Medicare!
Trump and the GOP are clearly out of touch with the 81% of registered voters who say that Congress should NEVER cut Social Security and Medicare and the 93% of likely voters who believe that the US should increase or maintain benefits.
Let’s be clear, Paul: without President Biden’s constant efforts to protect Social Security and Medicare, Trump and the GOP would gut both of these essential programs. And with polling showing Trump leading President Biden by 2 – 46% v. 44% – this November could decide the fate of Social Security and Medicare once and for all.
That’s why we're asking you, Paul, to be one of the 50 people we need in Oregon to join your fellow Democrats and rate President Biden’s response to Social Security and Medicare now!
Do you approve of President Biden’s response to Social Security & Medicare?
[✓] YES***
[ ] SOMEWHAT
[ ] UNSURE
[ ] NO
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
Democratic Governors Association
Make Your Voice Heard on Social Security | 11.59 p.m. Deadline
Thank you for taking action! With the GOP scheming to strip our hard-earned Social Security benefits, will you take a moment to answer a couple more questions and make sure your voice is heard on Social Security?
Poll deadline: 11:59 p.m. tonight
Email: [redacted]
Cell Phone: [redacted]
Do you approve of Donald Trump's plans to cut Social Security for millions of Americans?
[ ] Yes
[✓] No
How worried are you about the GOP's continued attacks on Social Security?
[✓] Extremely worried
[ ] Very worried
[ ] Somewhat worried
[ ] Not at all worried
Who do YOU trust more to protect seniors?
[✓] Democrats
[ ] Republicans
President Biden continues to be a brick wall standing against Republicans' efforts to strip our Social Security, undermine our rights, and weaken our democracy — but he can't do it alone. That's why Democratic governors are working alongside President Biden to defend progress and protect working families.
On a scale of 1 (lowest priority) to 5 (highest priority), please rank how much you believe we should prioritize electing Democratic governors who will be President Biden's strongest allies in the states.
[ ] 1
[ ] 2
[ ] 3
[ ] 4
[✓] 5
Despite the fact that their agenda is WILDLY out of touch with the will of the American people, the GOP continues pushing policies that would hurt millions of Americans. Will you invest $100 today to give Democratic governors the tools they need to protect Americans in every state from Trump's dangerous agenda?
Please use the options below to start a monthly donation through ActBlue:
[ ] Yes, I will give $100!
[✓] No, I can't give that much.
We understand that giving at that level isn't possible for everyone. But with Republicans spending millions of dollars to enact their extremist agenda, every dollar helps.
Electing Democratic governors in every state is the most critical thing we can do to stop the far right. And right now, we're $25,000 short of what we need to raise before our next major deadline. Please, will you give $22 or whatever you can afford before midnight tonight?
Please use the options below to start a monthly donation through ActBlue:
[ ] Yes, I'll give $22.
[ ] Yes, I can give $44! (suggested donation)
[✓] Yes, and I'll give more!*
*[Blogger's Note: I selected this option—although I made a one-time donation, rather than a monthly donation—because it's an option that got me to the donation webpage!]
---------------------------------------------
DONATE NOW DEADLINE: MIDNIGHT
With 11 governors' races on the ballot this November, including in key toss-up staten like New Hampshire and North Carolina, the blue firewall that we rely on to stop the GOP's extremist agenda is at risk. We're giving it our all to support them, but right now, we're falling dangerously short of our fundraising goals.
That's why a group of generous donors is matching all gifts up to our $25,000 goal before midnight tonight. Time is running out to have your gift DOUBLED up to our goal: Give now to elect Democratic governors and preserve our blue firewall!
Make It monthly!
Yes, count me in!
[✓] No, donate once
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Democratic Action.
[ ] Donate $44 →
[ ] Donate $88 →
[ ] Donate $220 →
[ ] Donate $440 →
[ ] Donate $880 →
[ ] Donate $1,760 →
[✓] Other amount $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the DGA (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to respond to the question, "Do you approve of President Biden’s response to Social Security & Medicare?" with a resounding 'YES!'
---------------------------------------------
The seventh political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was an email from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) that I received yesterday, with the subject line, "MT, MN, OH, WI, NV, HI, PA, MA:", which stated the following:
Your Gift Tripled!
We must protect these 8 Democrats:
Jon Tester - MT [Montana],
Amy Klobuchar - MN [Minnesota],
Sherrod Brown - OH [Ohio],
Jacky Rosen - NV [Nevada],
Elizabeth Warren - MA [Massachusetts],
Mazie Hirono - HI [Hawaii],
Bob Casey - PA [Pennsylvania],
Tammy Baldwin - WI [Wisconsin],
to stop Republicans' Senate takeover!
Donate by midnight to triple your impact: (We must fight for every seat!)
If you've saved payment info with ActBlue Express, your donation will be processed immediately.
If you've saved payment info with ActBlue Express, your donation will be processed immediately. The first $10,000 received from this email will be TRIPLED:
[ ] DONATE $55 (BECOMES $165)
[ ] DONATE $110 (BECOMES $330)
[ ] DONATE $220 (BECOMES $660)
[✓] RUSH ANOTHER AMOUNT***
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
DSCC
Match Activated! TRIPLE your impact to help SUPERCHARGE our Senate majority!
CNN says multiple GOP seats could flip blue this year — but with Mitch McConnell's megadonors already playing offense, it's going to take all hands on deck to win!
Please, will you chip in now to protect our historic progress by supercharging our Democratic majority? The first $10,000 received before tonight's fundraising deadline will be TRIPLED!
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit DSCC.
[✓] Donate $4 →
[ ] Donate $110 →
[ ] Donate $220 →
[ ] Donate $550 →
[ ] Other amount
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the DSCC (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to help "protect these 8 Democrats: Jon Tester - MT, Amy Klobuchar - MN, Sherrod Brown - OH, Jacky Rosen - NV, Elizabeth Warren - MA, Mazie Hirono - HI, Bob Casey - PA, [and] Tammy Baldwin - WI, to stop Republicans' Senate takeover!"
---------------------------------------------
The eighth political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was an email from the Biden for President campaign that I received yesterday, with the subject line, "We are so grateful for your support.", which stated the following:
Biden-Harris 2024
Paul, I am reaching out to share a special message with you. It's been over a year since President Biden and I launched our reelection campaign.
We are so grateful for your support over the past year. But this fight is not over: Can you make another $25 donation and help power us through to November? It would mean a lot.
If you've saved payment information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately:
[ ] $25 >>
[ ] $50 >>
[ ] $75 >>
[ ] $100 >>
[ ] $125 >>
[✓] Other >>***
When Joe asked me to be his running mate, I knew that campaigning for -- and becoming -- Vice President would be one of the most important things I’d ever do.
Paul, I’ve never been one to shy away from a challenge.
I was raised to take action. From the time I was in a stroller, my mom was out there marching and fighting for justice. Growing up, whenever I was worried about something, my mother would look me in the eye and ask, “So what are you going to do about it?”
That's why, when I saw a broken justice system, I became a district attorney to try and fix it. It's why, during the foreclosure crisis when the Big Banks were taking advantage of the American people, I took them on as Attorney General of California. It's why, as a United States Senator, I fought to keep judges off the bench who didn't support reproductive freedom. And it’s why I am ready to get out on the campaign trail to defeat Donald Trump again.
So, I’m coming to you directly: Your support over the past year has helped get us this far, but we need your help again. If you have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to make another donation, let me tell you there is no better day than today. Can I count on you to make another $25 donation to our reelection campaign?
Thank you for your support -- today and every day.
Kamala Harris
Vice President of the United States
"My dad used to have an expression -- 'It's the lucky person who gets up in the morning, puts both feet on the floor, knows what they are about to do, and thinks it still matters.' Your support matters. Your donation matters." -- Joe Biden
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
Donate to reelect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and save our democracy
Protecting our fundamental rights and saving our nation's democracy all comes down to reelecting Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. They're counting on this grassroots team to keep MAGA extremism out of the White House! Rush a donation today.
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Joe Biden.
[✓] Donate $4 →
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $46 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $1,000 →
[ ] Donate $2,000 →
[ ] Other amount:
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the Biden for President campaign (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to "make another [$4] donation and help power [the Biden for President campaign] through to November," because "[Vice President Kamala Harris is] ready to get out on the campaign trail to defeat Donald Trump again."
---------------------------------------------
The ninth political communication to which I responded yesterday, May 12th, 2024, was an email from VoteVets that I received yesterday, with the subject line, "Please rise.", which stated the following:
Paul,
What would you do if a candidate for president saluted those who attacked this country and tried to topple our democracy and freedom? ...
---------------------------------------------
[START OF 'POST' ON "X," FORMERLY TWITTER]
VoteVets
@votevets
Trump's salute to the January 6th terrorists, enemies of our democracy, is a betrayal of EVERYTHING we stand for.
It's NO different from honoring other terrorists who've attacked our country.
This November, our duty is clear.
VOTE BLUE!
[start of imbedded video image]
Trump Saluting Jan 6th Terrorists
"CONFEDERATE STATES OF"
[end of imbedded video image]
10:43 AM May 8, 2024-119.2K Views
[END OF 'POST' ON "X," FORMERLY TWITTER]
---------------------------------------------
... Well he did.
https://twitter.com/votevets/status/1788218287127704055
[Blogger's Note: I watched the video on 'X' (formerly Twitter) above that is titled, "CONFEDERATE STATES OF."]
🇺🇸 Wait ... Before you go! 🇺🇸
VoteVets is one of the largest spending and most effective outside organizations supporting Democrats in this election. We can reach Independent and moderate swing voters other organizations can't.
If re-electing Joe Biden and a Democratic House and Senate feels worth $20 to you, please make that donation to VoteVets to super-charge our efforts today.
If you've stored your info with ActBlue, we'll process your contribution instantly:
[ ] CONTRIBUTE $20
[✓] CONTRIBUTE OTHER***
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
VoteVets
Donate to support VoteVets!
VoteVets has a HUGE role to play in 2024. We give voice to Veterans in a way no other group can.
Please make a donation to VoteVets today to help us elevate the voices of Veterans and their families:
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit VoteVets.org.
[ ] Donate $1,000 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $5 →
[✓] Other amount $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to VoteVets (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, because "Trump's salute to the January 6th terrorists, enemies of our democracy, is a betrayal of EVERYTHING we stand for," since "it's NO different from honoring other terrorists who've attacked our country." That is why I contributed in support of this really powerful video to VoteVets, which "is one of the largest spending and most effective outside organizations supporting Democrats in this election [that] can reach Independent and moderate swing voters other organizations can't."
---------------------------------------------
Finally, these last four political donations weren't due to communications that I received from the following organizations, but because I have donated to these organizations in previous election cycles!
The tenth organization to which I donated was the Democratic Party of Oregon (DPO) based upon a description that appeared on the DPO.org website, which stated the following:
ABOUT US
The Democratic Party of Oregon
The Democratic Party of Oregon promotes the election of Democratic candidates at every level across the state of Oregon with technical and volunteer support. We provide opportunities for all Oregon Democrats to participate fully in our political process. The Democratic Party of Oregon supports local county Parties to make sure that every community can work to get Democratic Candidates elected.
SUPPORT OREGON DEMOCRATS!
Donate to support our work to elect Democrats across Oregon.
[ ] $5
[ ] $10
[ ] $25
[ ] $50
[ ] $100
[✓] OTHER
---------------------------------------------
DEMOCRATIC PARTY of OREGON
Donate to support Oregon Democrats!
Please make a donation to the Democratic Party of Oregon — Your support is critical to our work to Keep Oregon Blue in 2024 and beyond.
[ ] $10
[ ] $25
[ ] $50
[ ] $250
[ ] $500
[✓] $5.00
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Street Address: [redacted]
Postal Code: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State/Province: [redacted]
Email: [redacted]
Cell Phone: [redacted]
Contribute $5
And so, I made a one-time donation to the Democratic Party of Oregon (this donation was made through FastAction, which does not offer a tip box) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to "support [the Democratic Party of Oregon's] work to elect Democrats across Oregon."
---------------------------------------------
The eleventh organization to which I donated was EMILYs List based upon a popup that appeared on the EmilysList.org website, which stated the following:
Donate to EMILYs List
Very simply, we work to elect Democratic pro-choice women to office. And we cannot do it without supporters like you.
Please donate today and help elect more women leaders like Kamala Harris, Tammy Baldwin, and Elizabeth Warren.
[ ] $25
[ ] $50
[ ] $250
[ ] $500
[ ] $1000
[ ] $2500
[ ] $4000
[✓] OTHER AMOUNT
And, after I read the popup above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
EMILYs LIST
RUN. WIN. CHANGE THE WORLD.
Donate to EMILYs List
Very simply, we work to elect Democratic pro-choice women to office. And we cannot do it without supporters like you.
Please donate today and help elect more women leaders like Kamala Harris, Tammy Baldwin, and Elizabeth Warren.
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit EMILYs List.
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Donate $1,000 →
[ ] Donate $2,500 →
[ ] Donate $4,000 →
[✓] Other amount $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to EMILYs List (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to help "elect Democratic pro-choice women to office."
---------------------------------------------
The twelfth organization to which I donated was the Jane Fonda Climate PAC (Jane Fonda Climate Political Action Committee), based upon their donation webpage that appeared on the ActBlue.com website, which stated the following:
Jane Fonda
CLIMATE PAC
Contribute to the Jane Fonda Climate PAC!
The Jane Fonda Climate PAC is driven by one mission: Do whatever it takes to defeat the political allies of the fossil fuel industry and save our planet.
Please invest in our work today! We rely on grassroots support to elect climate champions who will take a stand against the fossil fuel industry and work to reverse the harm they're inflicting on our planet.
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Jane Fonda Climate PAC.
[ ] Donate $5 →
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Donate $5,000 →
[✓] Other amount $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the Jane Fonda Climate PAC (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, because "[the Jane Fonda Climate PAC relies] on grassroots support to elect climate champions who will take a stand against the fossil fuel industry and work to reverse the harm they're inflicting on our planet."
---------------------------------------------
The thirteenth organization to which I donated was the Voters of Tomorrow PAC (Voters of Tomorrow Political Action Committee) based upon a donation request that appeared on the VotersOfTomorrow.org website, which stated the following:
HELP US BUILD A MOVEMENT
Make a contribution today to help Voters of Tomorrow build a new generation of democracy defenders.
[ ] $10
[ ] $25
[ ] $75
[ ] $100
[ ] $250
[✓] Other amount
If you've saved your payment information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately.
---------------------------------------------
Donate to help Voters of Tomorrow reach Gen Z voters
$160,922.06 Raised →→→→→ GOAL $500,000
MIDNIGHT DEADLINE! >> updated at 7:12 PM
In 2022, young voters proved yet again that we are a political force to be reckoned with. Voters of Tomorrow played a major role in harnessing that power. As The Financial Times said, the group "worked to boost turnout among 18-to 29-year-olds and may have saved the election."
But we have to keep this momentum going. Voters of Tomorrow is continuing to ramp up its outreach and voter education efforts. Unlike many other organizations, we are meeting Gen Z where they are by providing valuable content in the same platforms they already spend time in.
With your contribution, Voters of Tomorrow will be able to reach even more young voters and guide them away from dangerous misinformation pushed by people looking to disenfranchise them.
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Voters of Tomorrow Action.
[ ] Donate $10 →
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Donate $1,000 →
[✓] Other amount $4.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.28 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the Voters of Tomorrow PAC (Voters of Tomorrow Action) (with a tip to ActBlue) yesterday, May 12th, 2024, in order to "help Voters of Tomorrow build a new generation of democracy defenders."
Thus, these eight organizations—the DASS Legal Fund, the DAGA, the DLCC, the DCCC, the DNC, the DGA, the DSCC, as well as the DPO—in addition to this one campaign—Biden for President—plus, these four Political Action Committees (PACs)—VoteVets, EMILYs List, Jane Fonda Climate PAC, as well as Voters of Tomorrow PAC—are the political organizations, the political campaign, and the PACs that I donated to on May 12th, 2024! –Paul Whiting (written May 13th, 2024, revised May 14th, 2024, revised May 21st, 2024, revised June 11th, 2024, revised June 28th, 2024, revised July 11th, 2024 and revised August 27th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 14th, 2024 Update No. 1: I have combined every political campaign, or political organization, donation request per day (made via email or text message) into one 'update' for each day that I donate, so that I don't have to keep writing individual 'updates' for political campaign donations, or political organization donations!
You see, I used to write one 'update' for each of the individual campaign political donations, or political organization donations, that I made virtually every time that I made a political donation. And within each 'update' I included the text from each political campaign's, or political organization's, requesting email or text message, along with some of each campaign's, or organization's, donation page text on the ActBlue website, as well as how much I donated to each campaign, or organization, plus whether I included a tip to ActBlue and how much I tipped.
(By the way, I still write individual 'updates' for political campaign, or political organization, mailers that I receive through the regular mail, because they are usually more elaborate political donation requests, which is why I don't include them with these email or text message requests.)
Plus, the 2024 election cycle is in full gear and I have made a goal of donating only one $3.00 donation per local political campaign here in Oregon (more on that below), or $4.00 per political organization, for the rest of the election cycle! And that means after I make that one donation per campaign, or per organization—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I am only donating once per campaign, or per organization, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And I am only donating once per PAC (Political Action Committee) for the entire election cycle, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, because that is all that I can really afford for the 2024 Presidential Election. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) I hope that makes sense!
Besides that, as of March 21st, 2024, I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future (with the exception of local campaigns here in Oregon), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis (please see my 'March 21st, 2024 Update No. 2,' which can be found above), as I have explained below:
...Alright, I have a big announcement to make: I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis!
And I have made this decision based upon how much these individual political campaign donations are costing in my 'monthly donating budget'—even though I am only donating $3.00 with a $0.21 tip to ActBlue—since I totally changed the way that I approach how I calculate what I am spending on my credit card each month, starting in 2024! So now, I take the total amount that I have available in my monthly budget for my minimum payment on my credit card—as well as my extra payment—and I calculate how much I am reducing that amount each time that I charge on my credit card.
That way, I am very aware of the amount by which I am reducing my total available credit card payments for the month (the minimum payment and the extra payment) in order to, hopefully, pay more on my credit card than I am spending! Plus, I am also utilizing some funds from my budgeted expenses, as well as some funds from my savings, to make sure that I am paying a little more than I am spending while—at the same time—I am also trying to spend less on my credit card.
Therefore, at the start of 2024, I calculated that I could still make ONE $3.00 donation per political campaign for the entire election cycle. And that means after I have made that one donation per campaign—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I have only donated once per campaign, which is what I have been doing so far!
However, it's still more than I can afford given my 'monthly donating budget,' which is why I have decided to stop donating to individual political campaigns entirely—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And so, I will still be making some donations to individual political campaigns (such as to Joe Biden's campaign for President of the United States, or to local campaigns here in Oregon), but I am not donating like I have been up until this point—which has been virtually every time that I have received a political campaign donation request via email or text message—because I seriously cannot afford to donate that much for the rest of the 2024 Presidential Election cycle, as well as for the foreseeable future.
And to clarify one more thing: In the past, I used to only donate to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations—rather than to individual campaigns—since that's all I really could afford given my 'monthly spending budget,' because I am "low income." Plus, those Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations help all of the individual political campaigns with funding, which is why I used to only donate to those main organizations! And I only started donating to individual political campaigns in 2022, since I was "doing everything in my power to help Democrats win in the 2022 Midterm Elections!" Therefore, this decision to stop donating to individual political campaigns (with the exception of presidential campaigns and local campaigns, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis) is really just going back to the way that I used to make political donations.
In addition to that, I used to donate "$5.00 per political organization"; however, starting on May 12th, 2024, I decided to adjust that amount, so that I can donate to more political organizations and PACs (Political Action Committees) while I am still staying within my 'monthly donating budget.'
Thus, as I partially explained above, for the rest of the 2024 election cycle—as well as for the foreseeable future—I have made a goal of donating $3.00 per local political campaign only here in Oregon (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.21), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and a goal of donating $4.00 per political organization for donation requests via email or text message (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.28), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; as well as a goal of donating $5.00 per political organization, or per PAC, for donation requests via the regular mail (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
To sum it up, then: I am essentially keeping the same total individual campaign donation amount of $3.21, but I am only donating to local campaigns here in Oregon, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for email and text message donation requests to $4.28 (from $5.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; plus, I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for regular mail donation requests to $5.35 (from $7.51), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
So, without further ado...
[Blogger's Note: The following local political donation is 'special' because the candidate below is running in my Oregon State House District, so that is why I decided to write about the fact that I donated to his campaign, however, I am redacting all of the relevant information about him in order to protect my privacy with regard to which part of the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area that I live in!]
The first political communication to which I responded was a text message today, May 14th, 2024, from the [candidate name redacted] for Oregon campaign, which stated the following:
Hey, Paul!! My name is [redacted] with [candidate name redacted] for Oregon. Improving capacity = reducing homelessness. [Candidate name redacted] is the only candidate with over a decade working in capacity management, bringing healthcare to thousands of Oregonians. It's time to use this at-the-root approach on homelessness, cleaning up our streets and getting more folks the care they need. Can we count on your support on May 21st?
My text reply to [candidate name redacted] for Oregon: Yes
[Candidate name redacted] for Oregon's text reply back: Thanks, Paul! Remember to return your ballot by May 21. Have a great day!!
And, after I read the text message above, I did a web search for his campaign on Google, where I read over his campaign website and, then, I decided to donate to his campaign on his C&E Systems donation webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
[CANDIDATE NAME REDACTED]
FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE
Make a Donation
Donation Amount
[ ] $25
[ ] $50
[ ] $100
[ ] $250
[ ] $500
[ ] $1000
[ ] $2500
[ ] $5000
[✓] Other donation amount $30,000 or under: $5.00
Personal Information
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Email Address: [redacted]
Address: [redacted]
Address 2/Apt/Unit: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State: [redacted]
ZIP Code: [redacted]
Phone: [redacted]
Make Your Donation
And so, I made a one-time donation to the [candidate name redacted] for Oregon campaign (this donation was made through C&E Systems, which does not offer a tip box) since "[candidate name redacted] is the only candidate with over a decade working in capacity management," because "it's time to use this at-the-root approach on homelessness, cleaning up our streets and getting more folks the care they need."
---------------------------------------------
[Blogger's Note: The following local political donation is 'special' because the candidate below is running in my Portland City Council District, so that is why I decided to write about the fact that I donated to his campaign, however, I am redacting all of the relevant information about him in order to protect my privacy with regard to which part of the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area that I live in!]
The second political communication to which I responded was a text message today, May 14th, 2024, from the [candidate name redacted] for Portland City Council, which stated the following:
Hi neighbor, it's [candidate name redacted]. I'm running for Portland City Council because I know what it takes to address the unique challenges facing our community. I've been an attorney, union member, a small business owner, and I'm in long-term recovery from addiction. As a husband and father, I'm committed to strengthening our community for not only my family, but for all of Portland. Will you join me in bringing practical solutions as your next Portland City Councilor for District [number redacted] with a $15 donation today?
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the text message above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
Friends of [Candidate Name Redacted]
Make a Donation
Donation Amount
[ ] $20
[ ] $25
[ ] $50
[ ] $100
[ ] $250
[ ] $300
[ ] $350
Other donation amount $350 or under: $5.00
Personal Information
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Email Address: [redacted]
Address: [redacted]
Address 2/Apt/Unit: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State: [redacted]
ZIP Code: [redacted]
Phone: [redacted]
Make Your Donation
And so, I made a one-time donation to the [candidate name redacted] for Portland City Council (this donation was made through C&E Systems, which does not offer a tip box) because "[he knows] what it takes to address the unique challenges facing our community," since "[he's] been an attorney, union member, a small business owner, and [he's] in long-term recovery from addiction," so "as a husband and father, [he's] committed to strengthening our community for not only [his] family, but for all of Portland."
Thus, these two campaigns—[candidate name redacted] for Oregon, as well as [candidate name redacted] for Portland City Council—are the political campaigns that I donated to today! –Paul Whiting (written May 14th, 2024, revised June 11th, 2024 and revised July 11th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 15th, 2024 Update No. 1: I have combined every political campaign, or political organization, donation request per day (made via email or text message) into one 'update' for each day that I donate, so that I don't have to keep writing individual 'updates' for political campaign donations, or political organization donations!
You see, I used to write one 'update' for each of the individual campaign political donations, or political organization donations, that I made virtually every time that I made a political donation. And within each 'update' I included the text from each political campaign's, or political organization's, requesting email or text message, along with some of each campaign's, or organization's, donation page text on the ActBlue website, as well as how much I donated to each campaign, or organization, plus whether I included a tip to ActBlue and how much I tipped.
(By the way, I still write individual 'updates' for political campaign, or political organization, mailers that I receive through the regular mail, because they are usually more elaborate political donation requests, which is why I don't include them with these email or text message requests.)
Plus, the 2024 election cycle is in full gear and I have made a goal of donating only one $3.00 donation per local political campaign here in Oregon (more on that below), or $4.00 per political organization, for the rest of the election cycle! And that means after I make that one donation per campaign, or per organization—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I am only donating once per campaign, or per organization, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And I am only donating once per PAC (Political Action Committee) for the entire election cycle, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, because that is all that I can really afford for the 2024 Presidential Election. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) I hope that makes sense!
Besides that, as of March 21st, 2024, I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future (with the exception of local campaigns here in Oregon), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis (please see my 'March 21st, 2024 Update No. 2,' which can be found above), as I have explained below:
...Alright, I have a big announcement to make: I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis!
And I have made this decision based upon how much these individual political campaign donations are costing in my 'monthly donating budget'—even though I am only donating $3.00 with a $0.21 tip to ActBlue—since I totally changed the way that I approach how I calculate what I am spending on my credit card each month, starting in 2024! So now, I take the total amount that I have available in my monthly budget for my minimum payment on my credit card—as well as my extra payment—and I calculate how much I am reducing that amount each time that I charge on my credit card.
That way, I am very aware of the amount by which I am reducing my total available credit card payments for the month (the minimum payment and the extra payment) in order to, hopefully, pay more on my credit card than I am spending! Plus, I am also utilizing some funds from my budgeted expenses, as well as some funds from my savings, to make sure that I am paying a little more than I am spending while—at the same time—I am also trying to spend less on my credit card.
Therefore, at the start of 2024, I calculated that I could still make ONE $3.00 donation per political campaign for the entire election cycle. And that means after I have made that one donation per campaign—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I have only donated once per campaign, which is what I have been doing so far!
However, it's still more than I can afford given my 'monthly donating budget,' which is why I have decided to stop donating to individual political campaigns entirely—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And so, I will still be making some donations to individual political campaigns (such as to Joe Biden's campaign for President of the United States, or to local campaigns here in Oregon), but I am not donating like I have been up until this point—which has been virtually every time that I have received a political campaign donation request via email or text message—because I seriously cannot afford to donate that much for the rest of the 2024 Presidential Election cycle, as well as for the foreseeable future.
And to clarify one more thing: In the past, I used to only donate to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations—rather than to individual campaigns—since that's all I really could afford given my 'monthly spending budget,' because I am "low income." Plus, those Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations help all of the individual political campaigns with funding, which is why I used to only donate to those main organizations! And I only started donating to individual political campaigns in 2022, since I was "doing everything in my power to help Democrats win in the 2022 Midterm Elections!" Therefore, this decision to stop donating to individual political campaigns (with the exception of presidential campaigns and local campaigns, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis) is really just going back to the way that I used to make political donations.
In addition to that, I used to donate "$5.00 per political organization"; however, starting on May 12th, 2024, I decided to adjust that amount, so that I can donate to more political organizations and PACs (Political Action Committees) while I am still staying within my 'monthly donating budget.'
Thus, as I partially explained above, for the rest of the 2024 election cycle—as well as for the foreseeable future—I have made a goal of donating $3.00 per local political campaign only here in Oregon (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.21), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and a goal of donating $4.00 per political organization for donation requests via email or text message (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.28), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; as well as a goal of donating $5.00 per political organization, or per PAC, for donation requests via the regular mail (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
To sum it up, then: I am essentially keeping the same total individual campaign donation amount of $3.21, but I am only donating to local campaigns here in Oregon, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for email and text message donation requests to $4.28 (from $5.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; plus, I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for regular mail donation requests to $5.35 (from $7.51), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
So, without further ado...
The only political communication to which I responded was a text message today, May 15th, 2024, from the Rolling Sea Action Fund PAC (Rolling Sea Action Fund Political Action Committee), which stated the following:
This year marks the 59th anniversary of Bloody Sunday [Selma to Montgomery marches on March 7, 1965*]. So we’re racing to rename Edmund Pettus Bridge after Rep. [Representative] John Lewis. But we need 2OO,OOO signers in order to make this a reality. Can you help us by adding your name, Paul?***
Edmund Pettus was a racist who helped keep slavery alive during the Civil War. He even served as a grand dragon in the KKK [Ku Klux Klan]!
It’s way past time for America to forgo its racist past and honor REAL heroes like Congressman John Lewis.
And we can’t think of a more powerful gesture than renaming the Edmund Pettus Bridge after Rep. John Lewis, who dedicated his life to freedom and equality on this very bridge.
Paul, we MUST stop honoring the names of racists like Edmund Pettus. Sign on to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge the "John Lewis Bridge" immediately →***
–Rolling Sea Action Fund
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the text message above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
ROLLING SEA ACTION FUND
ADD YOUR NAME
Help us Rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge after Congressman John Lewis.
Email: [redacted]
Mobile Phone (Optional): [redacted]
[PLEASE CONFIRM] Will you add your name to support renaming the Edmund Pettus Bridge after Congressman John Lewis? (Optional)
[✓] Yes, add my name!
[ ] No.
Did you know that John Lewis was a part of the Freedom Rides of 1961? (Optional)
[ ] Yes, knew that.
[✓] No. I had no idea.
Did you also know that John Lewis was one of the youngest speakers on the 1963 March of Washington? (Optional)
[ ] Yes!
[✓] No.
45 times. Did you know that was the number of times John Lewis was arrested for peacefully protesting for Civil Rights? (Optional)
[ ] Yes, that is appalling
[✓] No I did not know that.
One of John Lewis' most memorable quotes was:
"When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something, to do something."
Do you agree with John Lewis? (Optional)
[✓] Yes!
[ ] No.
John Lewis was a Civil Rights leader who believed in equality and protecting voting rights for ALL Americans.
How worried are you that the Senate blocked the John Lewis Voting Rights Act that would have protected the right to vote for ALL Americans? (Optional)
[✓] I'm very concerned.
[ ] I'm somewhat concerned.
[ ] I'm not that concerned.
[ ] I'm not concerned at all.
RIGHT NOW extremist Republicans are waging war on voting rights across the country. They want to get rid of vote-by-mail and automatic voter registration. They're particularly targeting Black communities and trying to disenfranchise millions of voters. It's SICKENING.
John Lewis legacy of defending and protecting voting rights is on the line. So, in response, Rolling Sea Action Fund is building political and grassroots power to turn out every Black voter around the country so we can defeat these Republicans.
We're investing resources into electing Black leaders who will stand up to the extremist far-right agenda against [their war on voting rights]. The majority of our work relies on small-dollar donors like you to fund the resources needed to boost Black Voter Turnout to defeat racist Republicans in 2024.
We need to raise $15,000 before the end of the month. We need 150 more donations to reach that goal, can you rush a donation right now? (Optional)
[✓] Yes, will rush $5!
[ ] Yes, will rush $25!
[ ] Yes, I will rush 50!
[ ] Yes, and I will chip in even more!
Submit
---------------------------------------------
ROLLING SEA ACTION FUND
Support Black Democrats!
We don't have time to waste! MAGA Republicans are sowing chaos inside the House and attacking our freedoms. We're dedicated to electing Black leaders to Congress who will uplift OUR voices and protect OUR rights.
Donate to help us fight for Black communities by electing Black Democrats to Congress >
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Rolling Sea Action Fund.
[✓] Donate $5 →
[ ] Donate $15 →
[ ] Donate $35 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Other amount
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.35 (7%)
And, after I sent the signed the petition above, I made a one-time donation to the Rolling Sea Action Fund (with a tip to ActBlue) in order to "sign on to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge the 'John Lewis Bridge' immediately," because "Edmund Pettus was a racist who helped keep slavery alive during the Civil War," and "it’s way past time for America to forgo its racist past and honor REAL heroes like Congressman John Lewis."
Thus, this one Political Action Committee (PAC)—Rolling Sea Action Fund—is the PAC that I donated to today! –Paul Whiting (written May 15th, 2024, revised May 16th, 2024, revised June 11th, 2024, revised July 11th, 2024, revised August 25th, 2024, revised September 21st, 2024 and revised August 31st, 2025)
*"Selma to Montgomery marches" from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia—which is funded primarily through donations from millions of individuals around the world, including this blogger (I make a totally affordable one-time donation if they are requesting donations when I am on their website):
The Selma to Montgomery marches were three protest marches, held in 1965, along the 54-mile (87 km) highway from Selma, Alabama, to the state capital of Montgomery. The marches were organized by nonviolent activists to demonstrate the desire of African-American citizens to exercise their constitutional right to vote, in defiance of segregationist repression; they were part of a broader voting rights movement underway in Selma and throughout the American South. By highlighting racial injustice, they contributed to passage that year of the Voting Rights Act, a landmark federal achievement of the civil rights movement.
Since the late 19th century, Southern state legislatures had passed and maintained a series of Jim Crow laws that had disenfranchised the millions of African Americans across the South and enforced racial segregation. The initial voter registration drive, started in 1963 by the African-American Dallas County Voters League (DCVL) and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) failed as local White officials arrested the organizers and otherwise harassed Blacks wishing to register to vote. The passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 legally ended segregation but the situation in Selma changed little. The DCVL then invited Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and the activists of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) to amplify the efforts, and these figures drew more prominent people to Alabama. Local and regional protests began in January 1965, with 3,000 people arrested by the end of February. On February 26, activist and deacon Jimmie Lee Jackson died after being shot several days earlier by state trooper James Bonard Fowler during a peaceful march in nearby Marion. To defuse and refocus the Black community's outrage, James Bevel, who was directing SCLC's Selma voting rights movement, called for a march of dramatic length, from Selma to the state capital of Montgomery, calling for an unhindered exercise of the right to vote.
The first march took place on March 7, 1965, led by figures including Bevel and Amelia Boynton, but was ended by state troopers and county possemen, who charged on about 600 unarmed protesters with batons and tear gas after they crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge in the direction of Montgomery. The event became known as Bloody Sunday. Law enforcement beat Boynton unconscious, and the media publicized worldwide a picture of her lying wounded on the bridge. The second march took place two days later but King cut it short as a federal court issued a temporary injunction against further marches. That night, an anti-civil rights group murdered civil rights activist James Reeb, a Unitarian Universalist minister from Boston. The third march, which started on March 21, was escorted by the Alabama National Guard under federal control, the FBI and federal marshals (segregationist Governor George Wallace refused to protect the protesters). Thousands of marchers averaged 10 mi (16 km) a day along U.S. Route 80 (US 80), reaching Montgomery on March 24. The following day, 25,000 people staged a demonstration on the steps of the Alabama State Capitol.
The violence of "Bloody Sunday" and Reeb's murder resulted in a national outcry, and the marches were widely discussed in national and international news media. The protesters campaigned for a new federal voting rights law to enable African Americans to register and vote without harassment. President Lyndon B. Johnson seized the opportunity and held a historic, nationally televised joint session of Congress on March 15, asking lawmakers to pass what is now known as the Voting Rights Act of 1965. He enacted it on August 6, removing obstacles for Blacks to register en masse. The march route is memorialized and designated as the Selma to Montgomery National Historic Trail.
Please see the hyperlink below for the article:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_to_Montgomery_marches
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 15th, 2024 Update No. 2: I received a text message today, May 15th, 2024, from March For Our Lives (MFOL), which stated the following:
Hi Paul – it’s [name redacted], [title redacted] of March For Our Lives.
It’s been a while since you last heard from us over text, so I wanted to take a moment to reintroduce our team.
MFOL was started in 2018 by students who survived one of the deadliest school shootings in history. In the years since, we’ve delivered wins for communities in state legislatures, courts, and the halls of Congress. We’ve also turned out record numbers of youth voters in the last three election cycles!
𝗦𝗶𝘅 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿, 𝘄𝗲’𝗿𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 – 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗲’𝗿𝗲 𝘀𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸𝗳𝘂𝗹.
We’re focused on winning battles for gun safety across the country, and that starts by mobilizing young people to show up + [plus] elect gun safety champions up and down the ballot in November.
None of our work is possible without the help of grassroots supporters like you, so please: Will you fuel the critical fights ahead by chipping in today?***
Thank you so much.
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the text message above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
MARCH FOR OUR LIVES
Thank you for supporting the March For Our Lives Action Fund! Grassroots supporters like you are the backbone of our youth-led movement Because of your support, we have grown into one of the largest youth-led movements in the country, elected the first Gen-Z Congressmember, secured key legislative victories such as the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, delivered historic youth turnout at the polls, and so much more. This year, we're fighting even harder for gun safety legislation at every turn and demanding young people's voices are heard!
Chip in to fuel our fight and save lives today >>
Your contribution will benefit March For Our Lives Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. Contributions or gifts to March for Our Lives Action Fund are not deductible for federal income tax purposes as charitable contributions.
Amount
[ ] $3
[✓] $5
[ ] $10
[ ] $20
[ ] $50
[ ] $100
[ ] $0.00
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Billing Address: [redacted]
Country: [redacted]
Postal Code: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State/Province: [redacted]
Email: [redacted]
Mobile Phone: [redacted]
Contribute
And so, I made a one-time donation to March For Our Lives in order to help them "elect gun safety champions up and down the ballot in November," since "[they've] delivered wins for communities in state legislatures, courts, and the halls of Congress [and] also turned out record numbers of youth voters in the last three election cycles!" –Paul Whiting (written May 15th, 2024 and revised June 25th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 17th, 2024 Update No. 1, Written On May 18th, 2024, Which Also Discusses May 15th, 2024: I received two emails from the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) regarding their first ever annual ACLU Giving Day.
The first email that I received from the ACLU was three days ago on May 15th, 2024, with the subject line, "Early access for top supporters like you, Paul", which stated the following:
EARLY ACCESS:
ACLU GIVING DAY 2X MATCH
DEADLINE: MAY 20
3% →→→ $100,000
DONATE***
Paul –
We wanted to give you this news first – the ACLU is announcing our first ever ACLU Giving Day next week on Monday, May 20!
Every day, the ACLU shows up in states and courtrooms across the country, ready to defend our civil rights and liberties. Whether it's growing attacks on trans youth, extreme groups pushing for a national abortion ban, or the government violating our First Amendment right to free speech – the ACLU is always ready to take up these fights, and more.
But increasing attacks mean an increasing need for resources, which is why our first ever annual ACLU Giving Day next week is so critical.
We've set a goal to raise $100,000 – and thanks to the support of a generous donor, every gift you make ahead of our deadline will be matched 2X. That means that your support will go twice as far to ensure the ACLU has the resources to fight for civil rights every single day.
Will you make a matched donation right now to help us get a head start on our goal?
MATCH MY GIFT***
ACLU Giving Day is a day where we recognize our community, including our 1.1 million members who fund the work we do every day. It's that funding that guarantees the ACLU will never stop in our fight to defend civil rights and liberties wherever they are threatened.
That's why we're coming to you today – ahead of our first annual ACLU Giving Day – to offer you early access to our 2X match and an early opportunity to help fuel the fight ahead.
Will you please make a 2X-matched donation right now to help us meet our $100,000 goal and ensure the ACLU can keep protecting civil liberties wherever they're threatened?
Thank you for being with us in the fight for our fundamental freedoms,
[Name redacted]
Pronouns: She, her, hers [Title redacted], ACLU
DONATE NOW***
And the second email that I received from the ACLU was yesterday, May 17th, 2024, with the subject line, "Can we count on you, Paul?", which stated the following:
ACLU GIVING DAY 2X MATCH
DEADLINE: MAY 20
27% →→→→→$100,000
MATCH MY GIFT 2X***
Paul, we have an exciting announcement for you: In support of ACLU Giving Day, a generous donor is matching every gift up to our $100,000 goal!
Our nationwide network of attorneys is working right now to stop abortion bans, fight voter suppression ahead of the election, bolster trans justice, and so much more. But whether they can keep up the fight hinges on hitting our Giving Day goal.
Can we count on you to make a gift of $35 – every dollar will be DOUBLED – so we can reach our Giving Day goal? With fundamental rights under attack across the country, we can't afford to fall short.
MATCH MY GIFT***
With so much on the line in 2024, we can't afford to slow down now.
Not when our right to protest is being suppressed.
Not when state and national attacks on abortion rights are at an all-time high.
Not when lawmakers across the country are banning trans youth from accessing gender-affirming care.
And not when voter suppression is keeping people from the ballot box.
We're ready to take on all of these challenges and win – from the Supreme Court to statehouses and beyond. But without your support, we may not be able to keep doing what we do best. Our lawyers won't be able to show up in court. Our organizers won't be able to facilitate community resistance. And our plans to fight for civil liberties across the country may need to be scaled back.
So please don't wait to make this 2X impact when it's needed most: If you're ready to fuel the fight for 2024 and well beyond, will you rush a 2X-matched donation now to help us reach our crucial $100,000 goal by the Giving Day deadline?
Thank you for fighting alongside us,
[Name redacted]
Pronouns: She, her, hers
[Title redacted], ACLU
DONATE NOW***
And so, I made a one-time donation to the ACLU yesterday, May 17th, 2024, in order to show my support for the "first ever ACLU Giving Day next week on Monday, May 20!" That is why I answered the question "...will you rush a 2X-matched donation now to help us reach our crucial $100,000 goal by the Giving Day deadline?" with a resounding 'Yes!' –Paul Whiting (May 18th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For my "May 18th, 2024 Update No. 1"—since this 'update' is a part of my ⋆USO⋆ donations—please see my blog post titled, "My Point Of View On...Giving Charity And Accepting Charity," which can be found on both of my "Paul Whiting — Math Magician" and "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" blogs. An introduction to the 'update' can be found below:
May 18th, 2024 Update No. 1 [My Writing About Armed Forces Day (for 2024)]: Armed Forces Day is today, May 18th, 2024—since Armed Forces Day is the third Saturday in May each year—so, I did a Google search for "Armed Forces Day 2024 USO" and found the following USO (United Service Organizations) search result:
secure.uso.org
https://secure.uso.org › donate
Uso - Official USO Website
We're thanking our troops with shows that boost morale. Donate today to show your support. Our military heroes make incredible sacrifices. Support them with a donation today. 200+ Centers worldwide. 501(c)(3) Nonprofit. Give hope to the wounded. Boost troop morale.
And, after I read the search results above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
★★★USO★★★
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR AMERICA’S TROOPS AND THEIR FAMILIES
Honor their sacrifice by making a donation today.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
Amount
[ ] $35
[ ] $50
[ ] $75
[ ] $100
[ ] $250
[ ] $500
[ ] $1,000
[✓] $ 25.00
Name
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Address: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State: [redacted]
Zip: [redacted]
Email: [redacted]
Cell Phone (optional): [redacted]
DONATE $25
Your donations will support:
Transitioning Troops and Deployed Troops
During deployment, you can provide troops with a connection to their families, along with entertainment and relaxation. After service has ended, you can continue to support troops as they transition to civilian life.
Military Families
You can help keep families strong and connected both during and after deployment. The USO provides a wide range of programs that support the entire family every step of the way.
Wounded Warriors and Families of the Fallen
Some troops return home with physical or invisible wounds. You can provide therapeutic and reintegration services as they navigate the road to recovery. You can also provide support to families of troops who have paid the ultimate price while serving their country.
And so, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org in order to support the USO's following statement: "Our military heroes make incredible sacrifices. ... Give hope to the wounded. Boost troop morale."
In addition to that, I already make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel! You see, I usually make one-time donations to the USO each month—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via email or text message. Therefore, I am planning to continue making one-time donations to the USO in the future, as often as I can manage to make donations, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation. ...
Please see the hyperlinks below for the post, within which you can do a find-in-page search for the 'update' labeled, "May 18th, 2024 Update No. 1":
https://paulwhitingmath.blogspot.com/2015/05/my-point-of-view-on-charity.html
https://paulwhitingwriting.blogspot.com/2022/07/my-point-of-view-on-part-16-giving-to.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 18th, 2024 Update No. 2 [My Writing About Celebrating Armed Forces Day As A New Tradition For Honoring The Service And Sacrifices Of U.S. Military Personnel (for 2024)]: I have started a new tradition as a way to pay tribute to U.S. Military Personnel in honor of Armed Forces Day!
Instead of having a celebration on Memorial Day—because that holiday is really designed for grieving, and/or mourning, and/or paying respect to those who have died while serving in the U.S. Military—I think that the celebration to honor the service and sacrifices of U.S. Military Personnel should really be on Armed Forces Day.
Thus, I plan to have a holiday dinner on Armed Forces Day, and I also plan to listen to patriotic music, as a way to celebrate the many freedoms that we enjoy in the United States of America thanks to the service and sacrifices that are made, each and every day, by U.S. Military Personnel! –Paul Whiting (May 18th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 19th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses May 10th, 2024, May 12th, 2024, May 16th, 2024 And May 18th, 2024, As Well As The Time Period Of May 1st, 2024 Through May 3rd, 2024:
This 'update' that I wrote on May 17th, 2024 and on May 19th, 2024 is combined from my news searches on Google, which I do as often as I can manage, as well as from my occasional reading of The New York Times articles, USA Today articles and Time Magazine articles that I received via email for the time period of May 1st, 2024 through May 3rd, 2024.
Please let me explain: I have been busy with a lot of "Online Activism" lately that takes an enormous amount of time and energy to write about, which consists of various topics that each require their own 'updates!' Besides that, I have often been engaged in editing my five blogs—whenever I notice that any of my writing needs to be revised or corrected—which can take hours to complete depending upon how much editing I have to do!
So, because I have been so busy lately with "Online Activism," and also with the editing of my five blogs, I have just been reading the titles of The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles that I receive from their daily emails. Then, I will occasionally read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those emails that I highlight in these 'updates.'
That is why I recently signed up to receive email newsletters from the news organizations to which I subscribe in order for me to stay informed about what's happening in the world. And I was formerly writing separate 'updates' for each of the news articles that I read from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles; however, after I restarted writing these news 'updates' from my news searches on Google (which I stopped doing for a while), I also decided to restart writing the 'updates' from the above-mentioned news organizations to which I subscribe, but as a combined 'update.'
Thus, I am checking the news through Google searches again, like used to do, as often as I can manage it. You see, I used to keep up with the news virtually on a daily basis, because there is typically that much news every day; however, I am now simply checking the news via Google searches as often as I can manage to do so. And, I usually check what's happening in the world via various Google searches that I do under the following topics:
American News
United States News
USA News
President Biden News
Joe Biden News
Democrats News
Republicans News
Political News
World News
Global Warming News
Workers On Strike News
Portland Oregon News
Then, I read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those Google news searches.
So, without further ado, I was doing my occasional news searches on Google for May 10th, 2024, May 12th, 2024, May 16th, 2024 and May 18th, 2024, when I noticed many different articles from various news organizations!
And I used to provide a longer introduction to these news articles that I highlight regarding current news, on these types of 'updates' that I write, which used to include the name(s) of the author(s), as well as the date of publication in addition to some of the text from the articles; but, I decided a while ago to forego my usual writing format for all the current news 'updates.'
To that end, I also used to provide the title of each article with the news organization's name in addition to a hyperlink; however, I think that all of those hyperlinks to current news articles are causing my "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was" blog post to be flagged and unpublished for violating Blogger's Spam policy! (Please see my 'February 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses February 25th, 2024' that can be found above.)
Therefore, I am changing the format by which I write these current news 'updates' by first providing the original Google search category through which I found each article, as listed above, like I usually do. [Although, to clarify, sometimes the same article appears (or, articles appear) under different search categories.]
Then, I am providing the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of each article, as well as the author(s) name(s), in addition to the publishing date. That way, I am (hopefully) providing enough information about each article in order to make it possible for you, my readers, to do a search for any of the articles that I highlight by the publisher's name and the article's title—plus, you can also verify the subtitle, the author(s) name(s) and the publishing date—if you wish to read those articles too! (I hope that makes sense.)
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: AMERICAN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 12th, 2024 search:
01. AP News
FBI warns that foreign adversaries could use AI to spread disinformation about US elections
By Eric Tucker | Updated 2:32 PM PDT, May 9, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: UNITED STATES NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: USA NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PRESIDENT BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 10th, 2024 search:
02. NBC News
Biden says Trump won't accept 2024 election results
“The guy is not a democrat with a small ‘d,’” Biden said about his Republican rival.
By Megan Lebowitz | May 8, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 16th, 2024 search:
03. USA Today
(I am a subscriber to the USA Today 'Unlimited Digital Access' Subscription.)
Biden and Trump agree to two debates, with the first in June (Biden and Trump agree to two televised debates, bucking commission)
By Francesca Chambers, Joey Garrison and David Jackson | May 15, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 16th, 2024 search:
04. ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
Biden, Trump agree to ABC News and CNN debates
Biden and Trump agreed to a prime-time debate at ABC News studios on Sept. 10.
By Libby Cathey, Gabriella Abdul-Hakim, Lalee Ibssa and Soo Rin Kim | May 15, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: JOE BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 16th, 2024 search:
05. AP News
Biden and Trump, trading barbs, agree to 2 presidential debates, in June and September
By Josh Boak, Zeke Miller and Jill Colvin | Updated 6:03 PM PDT, May 15, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 18th, 2024 search:
06. Rolling Stone
Trump Attacks Joe Biden's Economic Policy... Over Snickers Bars
After the president cited Snickers as an example of “shrinkflation,” Trump rebuked the assertion in a Truth Social post
By Jeremy Childs | May 18, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: DEMOCRATS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: REPUBLICANS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 10th, 2024 search:
07. Newsweek
Marjorie Taylor Greene Has Lost Republicans
By Ewan Palmer | May 09, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 12th, 2024 search:
08. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
Will You Accept the Election Results? Republicans Dodge the Question.
Leading Republicans have refused to say flatly that they will accept the outcome of the presidential election if Donald Trump loses.
By Michael C. Bender and Nick Corasaniti | May 11, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 12th, 2024 search:
09. USA Today
(I am a subscriber to the USA Today 'Unlimited Digital Access' Subscription.)
Which Republicans refuse to commit to accept 2024 election results?
By Margie Cullen | May 9, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 16th, 2024 search:
10. Politico
Warning signs for Trump: 5 takeaways from Tuesday's primaries
Nikki Haley’s zombie presidential candidacy is still drawing a sizable slice of the Republican vote in the suburbs.
By Steven Shepard and Madison Fernandez | 05/15/2024
---------------------------------------------
May 18th, 2024 search:
11. ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
Noncitizen voting, already illegal in federal elections, becomes a centerpiece of 2024 GOP messaging
In recent months, the specter of people who aren't American citizens and are voting in the United States has become a rallying cry for Republicans
By Ali Swenson | May 18, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 18th, 2024 search:
12. MSNBC News
State Republicans can thank Trump's RNC for their financial woes
A growing number of state Republican operations are either broke or perilously close to it.
By Max Burns | May 16, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: POLITICAL NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 16th, 2024 search:
13. NBC News
Biden and Trump agree to debates in late June and September
The first debate will be hosted by CNN in Atlanta at 9 p.m. ET June 27, and it won't be in front of a live audience.
By Rebecca Shabad, Monica Alba, Allan Smith and Dasha Burns | May 15, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORLD NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: GLOBAL WARMING NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORKERS ON STRIKE NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PORTLAND OREGON NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
Continuing on—as I mentioned above—I will occasionally read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from the daily emails that I receive from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine.
And I used to provide longer introductions to these New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles that I highlight, which included the name(s) of the author(s), as well as the date of publication in addition to some of the text from the article; but, I decided a while ago to forego my usual writing format for all The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles 'updates.'
To that end, I also used to provide the title of each article in addition to a hyperlink; however—as I mentioned above—I think that all of those hyperlinks to news articles are causing my "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was" blog post to be flagged and unpublished for violating Blogger's Spam policy! (Again, please see my 'February 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses February 25th, 2024' that can be found above.)
Therefore, I am changing the format by which I write these news 'updates' by providing the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of each article, as well as the author(s) name(s), in addition to the publishing date. That way, I am (hopefully) providing enough information about each article in order to make it possible for you, my readers, to do a search for any of the articles that I highlight by the article's title—plus, you can also verify the subtitle, the author(s) name(s) and the publishing date—if you wish to read those articles too! (I hope that makes sense.)
So, without further ado, I was doing my usual reading of the titles to The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles—including any article overviews contained within the emails—that I received for the time period of May 1st, 2024 through May 3rd, 2024, when I noticed the following NYTimes.com, USAToday.com and Time.com articles!
---------------------------------------------
These are The New York Times articles which I received for the time period of May 1st, 2024 through May 3rd, 2024: (I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
The following are The New York Times articles that I read on May 17th, 2024, from emails that I received sixteen days prior on May 1st, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'The Morning' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
Trump’s Time Interview
In an interview with Time magazine, Trump said that as president he would use the military to deport migrants and let states decide whether to monitor women’s pregnancies.
President Biden called Trump’s comments “reprehensible.” ...
Trump Again Vows Mass Deportations and Won’t Rule Out Political Violence
In an interview with Time magazine, the former president said he planned to use the military to deport migrants and would not dismiss the possibility of political violence after this year’s election.
By Michael Gold | April 30, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'The Evening' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
Arizona voted to repeal its abortion ban
Arizona lawmakers today repealed an abortion ban that first became law in 1864, when Abraham Lincoln was president and a half-century before women won the right to vote.
The repeal narrowly passed the Republican-controlled State Senate with the support of all 14 Democratic senators and two Republicans. Gov. Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, is widely expected to sign it, after which abortion policy in the state would revert to a 2022 law that restricted the procedure after 15 weeks of pregnancy.
The 1864 law, which had remained on the books without enforcement for decades, burst into the middle of a heated national political debate three weeks ago when Arizona’s Supreme Court ruled that it should be reinstated because Roe v. Wade had been overturned.
Democrats sought to use the ban to energize voters in Arizona, a battleground state. On the right, the issue created a rift between anti-abortion activists who wanted to keep the law in place and Republicans who worried about the potential backlash of a near-total ban with no exceptions for rape or incest.
In Florida, a ban on abortions after six weeks of pregnancy went into effect today, meaning most abortions are now outlawed across the entire Southeast. ...
Arizona Lawmakers Repeal 1864 Abortion Ban, Creating Rift on the Right
Two Republican state senators broke with their party to ensure final passage of the repeal. Gov. Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, is expected to sign it on Thursday.
By Jack Healy and Elizabeth Dias | May 1, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'On Politics' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
How six-week abortion bans went from fringe to reality
Just over a decade ago, six-week abortion bans were seen as too radical even by many members of the anti-abortion movement, who worried they carried too much political and legal risk.
On Wednesday, Florida became the latest state to put one into effect.
The law, which was signed last year by Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, cuts off access to the procedure before many women even know they are pregnant, leaving millions of women in the South hundreds of miles from a clinic offering abortion.
The ban represents another victory for the true believers of the anti-abortion movement that seek sharp curbs on the procedure. But when such a ban was first introduced, mainstream abortion opponents who preferred gradually chipping away at abortion rights felt such restrictions could backfire and undermine their broader goals.
My colleague Elizabeth Dias covers religion and is the author, with Lisa Lerer, of a forthcoming book about the fall of Roe v. Wade. I asked her how the six-week ban moved from the fringe to the mainstream — and why those early warnings from anti-abortion allies might be coming true now. Our conversation was edited for length and clarity.
When did the concept of six-week abortion bans first emerge?
The Florida law didn’t just come out of nowhere — it’s related to a push that began more than a decade ago, in Ohio. There, in 2011, an evangelical activist, Janet Porter, began to advocate for a bill that would ban abortion when a fetal “heartbeat” is detectable, about six or eight weeks into a pregnancy.
That was during former President Barack Obama’s first term, a time when the Tea Party was rising and the anti-abortion movement was fairly weak relative to its power today. The fall of Roe was a long way away. How did leaders of the anti-abortion movement react to Porter’s proposal?
The big players in the anti-abortion movement were focused on incremental change, on moving the needle slowly. Porter and her wing of the anti-abortion movement were considered really fringe. Groups like Ohio Right to Life and the state’s Catholic conference refused to support the ban, which they thought could be dangerous, and unproductive, for their movement because it seemed too extreme. The bill didn’t pass that year — it didn’t pass, in fact, until 2019.
The concept of the “heartbeat bill” banning abortion as early as six weeks traveled far beyond Ohio. Why did the movement come to embrace it?
Many opponents of abortion have a deep and often spiritual conviction that, at the moment of conception, a fully human person worthy of rights is created, and they have worked hard to rally the public to think of a fertilized cell in this way. So the way that this wing of the movement started to talk about it was, well, what’s more human than the heart?
It’s important to note, though, that this was a powerful messaging tactic and that embryos don’t have fully developed hearts that early in a pregnancy. Most experts actually describe what is detected at this point as an electric pulse from a primitive tube of cardiac cells.
When did these bans start picking up speed, and actually passing?
The election of Donald Trump in 2016 was a pivot point for the whole movement. Legislators in Ohio soon advanced their six-week bill, although it was vetoed. The window of what was possible suddenly expanded for them, although with Roe still in place, the mainstream anti-abortion movement didn’t see six-week bans as an effective way to undercut the country’s abortion protections.
But once the balance of power on the Supreme Court shifted with the appointment of Justice Brett Kavanaugh in 2018, things changed. When state legislatures met in 2019, they began to pass a wave of abortion restrictions. Five states, including Ohio, passed so-called heartbeat bills that banned abortion as early as six weeks. Missouri passed a bill banning abortion around 8 weeks, and Alabama also passed a ban on abortion. Those bans could not immediately take effect because of Roe, but it was all part of laying the groundwork for what they hoped would be its eventual fall.
When doctors measure the length of a pregnancy, they start from the date of a woman’s last period, which is about two weeks before conception is possible. So a six-week ban is an even smaller window than some people realize.
Yes. The point of all of these laws is to stop as many abortions as possible — the movement talks about making abortion “unthinkable.” And some of the people who initially worried about a six-week ban ended up supporting them. But it became so broadly unpopular after Roe was overturned, others pushed 15-week bans instead, though that’s not their ultimate goal, either. This is a movement that thinks and plans in generations.
For much of the history of the six-week ban, lawmakers voted for such measures knowing they couldn’t be put in place. How has support for these bans changed since the fall of Roe?
Thirteen years ago, in Ohio, some abortion opponents warned that a six-week ban could hurt their movement. The reaction to the Florida law shows us that they may have been right all along.
The Florida law is completely controversial. Yes, they’re achieving their goal of limiting abortion access, in practical terms, but they’re taking on a huge risk, too, since this fall voters will have a chance to enshrine the protection of abortion rights into their state constitution through a ballot measure.
So the anti-abortion movement is experiencing real whiplash. They’re achieving policy goals they’ve been pursing for years, and they stand to lose them for having overreached — which was a fear many of them had at the very beginning with Janet Porter’s law. ...
How Six-Week Abortion Bans Went From Fringe to Reality
Even opponents of abortion saw such curbs as too controversial just over a decade ago. Times have changed.
By Jess Bidgood | May 1, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'On Politics' email introduction to The New York Times articles below:
The backlash in Florida
For a long time, a six-week abortion ban was not considered as seriously in Florida as it was in other states. That changed last year, when Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it as he stacked up conservative policy victories ahead of his presidential run. I asked The New York Times’s Miami bureau chief, Patricia Mazzei, to tell us how his decision to sign the ban may have actually intensified the campaign for expanded abortion rights in Florida.
In 2022, DeSantis signed a 15-week abortion ban at a big church near Orlando. But when he signed the six-week ban, he did it behind closed doors. That signaled, I think, that he knew it was going pretty far for a state where public opinion polls still suggested most Floridians wanted legal abortion far beyond six weeks.
Critics of the ban channeled their efforts into gathering petition signatures to put an amendment on the ballot that would directly ask Floridians if they wanted to expand abortion access, and bring it back up to about 24 weeks. They had begun that effort after the 15-week ban was enacted, but it really ramped up after the six-week ban was signed. They were successful, and that question will appear on the ballot in November.
So the people who feel that the ban is wrong, they feel like there is a way out, that there is light at the end of the tunnel if they can get this passed. They have a way to channel their anger, or their opposition — although the ballot measure will require more than 60 percent support to pass, and that’s a high threshold.
The anti-abortion movement’s victory was really attenuated by this ballot measure, and they are now gearing up for a tough campaign. — Patricia Mazzei
Read more of Patricia’s coverage of Florida’s abortion ban: ...
Florida’s Six-Week Abortion Ban Is Now Law, With Political Implications
The ban, which took effect on Wednesday, was part of Gov. Ron DeSantis’s push into cultural conservatism. But Florida politics is rarely that simple.
By Patricia Mazzei | May 1, 2024
---------------------------------------------
Inside an Abortion Clinic Days Before Florida’s Six-Week Ban Takes Effect
On one of the last days it would be legal to get an abortion until 15 weeks of pregnancy in Florida, a clinic in Fort Pierce was completely booked.
By Patricia Mazzei | April 30, 2024
---------------------------------------------
Florida Abortion Ban to Take Effect, Cutting Off Major Access Point
The state has dozens of clinics that serve tens of thousands of women a year, including from across the Southeast. The six-week ban will require most to travel much farther.
By Patricia Mazzei | April 29, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'On Politics' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
… and more abortion news
Vice President Kamala Harris seized on Florida’s ban at a campaign event in Jacksonville, Fla., on Wednesday, warning that a second Trump term would bring “more bans, more suffering, less freedom.” ...
In Florida, Harris Looks to Make Trump the Face of the State’s Abortion Ban
The vice president sought to tie former President Donald J. Trump to the state’s six-week abortion ban, which took effect on Wednesday.
By Nicholas Nehamas | May 1, 2024
The following are The New York Times articles that I read today, May 19th, 2024, from emails that I received sixteen days ago on May 3rd, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 3rd, 2024 'The Evening' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
The job market shifted into lower gear
After a winter of rapid growth in the American labor market, April’s jobs numbers delivered a more mixed picture. Employers added 175,000 positions, less than economists had expected and well below the average over the last year; and the unemployment rate climbed to 3.9 percent.
“We’ve gotten so used to jobs reports that smash expectations that it was a bit shocking this morning to see one that fell short,” our economics reporter Ben Casselman told me. “But really, the slowdown shouldn’t be a big surprise, and isn’t particularly worrisome.”
Layoffs remained low and most job sectors appeared stable. Wage growth eased notably, though the unemployment rate remained under 4 percent for the 27th consecutive month — the longest stretch in more than 50 years. In fact, some economists said that the April data offered hopeful hints that the economy was headed toward a more stable footing.
“Today’s report was exactly what policymakers at the Federal Reserve have been hoping for: an economy that is gradually cooling but not plunging into recession,” Ben said.
So far, though, cooling is probably not enough to persuade the Fed to cut rates just yet. Jerome Powell, the Fed chair, said this week that policymakers would not react to small moves. ...
U.S. Job Market Eases, but Hiring Remains Firm
Employers added 175,000 jobs in April, a milder pace than in the winter months, though layoffs have remained low and most sectors appear stable.
By Lydia DePillis | May 3, 2024
And the articles below are from the above-mentioned May 3rd, 2024 'On Politics' email:
A New Issue Flares in the 2024 Race: Campus Protests
With tensions escalating and Republicans pouncing, President Biden finally weighed in and sought to increase the distance between himself and some of the more radical activism on colleges.
By Lisa Lerer | May 3, 2024
---------------------------------------------
Latino Advocacy Groups Call Trump’s Deportation Plans a Danger to Democracy
The political arms of five organizations are coordinating their efforts to mobilize Hispanic Democrats, saying that defeating the former president is their top goal.
By Jazmine Ulloa | May 3, 2024
---------------------------------------------
These are the USA Today articles which I received for the time period of May 1st, 2024 through May 2nd, 2024: (I am a subscriber to the USA Today 'Unlimited Digital Access' Subscription.)
The following are the USA Today articles that I read on May 17th, 2024, from emails that I received sixteen days prior on May 1st, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
US Christians say they can't be bystanders amid Israel-Hamas conflict
While some U.S. Christians strongly support one side or the other, many who feel caught in the middle embrace their faith calling as peacemakers.
READ MORE ...
From the sidelines, some Christians in US strive to be peacemakers as Israel-Hamas war continues
By Marc Ramirez | April 30, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Man or bear online conversation has women explaining safety concerns
Women explain why they would feel safer encountering a bear in the forest than a man they didn't know. The hypothetical has sparked a broader discussion about why women fear men.
READ MORE ...
Man or bear? Hypothetical question sparks conversation about women's safety
Women explain why they would feel safer encountering a bear in the forest than a man they didn't know. The hypothetical has sparked a broader discussion about why women fear men.
Amaris Encinas | April 30, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 1st, 2024 'Evening Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Marjorie Taylor Greene's war on Mike Johnson is too nuts even for MAGA
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's crusade to oust GOP House Speaker Mike Johnson has somehow brought Democrats and Republicans together.
READ MORE ...
Marjorie Taylor Greene breaks MAGA stupidity barrier as Democrats vow to save Mike Johnson
Marjorie Taylor Greene's unique brand of uselessness has somehow forged bipartisanship in a legislative body that's effectively made of oil and water.
Rex Huppke | May 1, 2024
The following are the USA Today articles that I read today, May 19th, 2024, from emails that I received seventeen days ago on May 2nd, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 2nd, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Arizona Senate votes to repeal near-total 1864 abortion ban
Arizona lawmakers took a significant step Wednesday toward blocking a Civil War-era abortion ban after state senators repealed the measure the Arizona Supreme Court said last month could stand. The vote fell largely on party lines, with two Republican state senators breaking from the chamber's GOP majority to back repealing the ban. Along with banning abortions in all situations except life-threatening medical emergencies, the law imposes prison terms for doctors and others who aid in an abortion. The repeal will head to Gov. Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, for her signature. Read more ...
Arizona Senate votes to repeal 1864 abortion ban, sends measure to governor
By Savannah Kuchar and Ray Stern | May 1, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 2nd, 2024 'Evening Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Debunking misinformation surrounding anti-war college protests
Debunking misinformation surrounding the anti-war protests taking place at colleges across the country. ...
University protests have generated misinformation online. Here's what's true and false.
By Hannah Hudnall | May 2, 2024
The following are the USA Today articles that I read today, May 19th, 2024, from an email that I received sixteen days ago on May 3rd, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 3rd, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Biden breaks silence on campus unrest
President Joe Biden sought to strike a balance on Thursday when speaking about current protests on college campuses that in some cases have bred destruction and violence. The president called for peaceful protest "in the best tradition of how Americans respond to consequential issues" but made clear "violent protest is not protected." Biden's response to the unrest has been complicated by his reelection campaign as he looks to unify the Democratic coalition, of which young progressive voters decry his steadfast support of Israel. Read more ...
President Biden breaks silence on campus unrest: 'Violent protest is not protected'
By Joey Garrison and Francesca Chambers | May 2, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 3rd, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Arizona's governor signs abortion ban repeal. Now what?
Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs on Thursday signed into law a repeal of the state's 160-year-old abortion ban, rescinding one of the nation's most restrictive abortion laws after weeks of hard-fought political negotiation at the state capitol. But neither the governor's signature, nor the Arizona Legislature's momentous decision Wednesday to repeal the ban, will bring stability right away to a policy area that has been in flux — and a subject of intense political debate — for nearly two years. Nor does the ban immediately go away. ...
Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs signs abortion ban repeal, but 1864 law will linger for months. What's next?
By Stacey Barchenger and Ray Stern | May 2, 2024
---------------------------------------------
These are the Time Magazine articles which I received for the time period of May 1st, 2024 through May 3rd, 2024: (I am a subscriber to the Time Magazine 'INSIDER Digital' Subscription.)
The following are the Time Magazine articles that I read on May 17th, 2024, from 'The Brief' email that I received sixteen days prior on May 1st, 2024:
What Trump’s Abortion Comments to TIME Reveal About His Plans For a Second Term
By Philip Elliott | April 30, 2024
---------------------------------------------
What Does It Mean to Have a Child? We Should Be Taking That Question Seriously.
By Mara Van Der Lugt | April 30, 2024
The following are the Time Magazine articles that I read today, May 19th, 2024, from 'The Brief' email that I received sixteen days ago on May 3rd, 2024:
Swing States Overwhelmingly Back Abortion Rights, New Poll Finds
By Philip Elliott | May 2, 2024
---------------------------------------------
Protesters Are Calling on Universities to Divest from Israel. Here’s What That Means
By Solcyré Burga and Nik Popli | MAY 2, 2024
And I decided to highlight these articles from the various news organizations above via Google news searches—as well as from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine—for you, my readers, to consider reading too! –Paul Whiting (written on May 17th, 2024 and on May 19th, 2024, then revised May 23rd, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 19th, 2024 Update No. 2: I have combined every political campaign, or political organization, donation request per day (made via email or text message) into one 'update' for each day that I donate, so that I don't have to keep writing individual 'updates' for political campaign donations, or political organization donations!
You see, I used to write one 'update' for each of the individual campaign political donations, or political organization donations, that I made virtually every time that I made a political donation. And within each 'update' I included the text from each political campaign's, or political organization's, requesting email or text message, along with some of each campaign's, or organization's, donation page text on the ActBlue website, as well as how much I donated to each campaign, or organization, plus whether I included a tip to ActBlue and how much I tipped.
(By the way, I still write individual 'updates' for political campaign, or political organization, mailers that I receive through the regular mail, because they are usually more elaborate political donation requests, which is why I don't include them with these email or text message requests.)
Plus, the 2024 election cycle is in full gear and I have made a goal of donating only one $3.00 donation per local political campaign here in Oregon (more on that below), or $4.00 per political organization, for the rest of the election cycle! And that means after I make that one donation per campaign, or per organization—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I am only donating once per campaign, or per organization, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And I am only donating once per PAC (Political Action Committee) for the entire election cycle, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, because that is all that I can really afford for the 2024 Presidential Election. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) I hope that makes sense!
Besides that, as of March 21st, 2024, I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future (with the exception of local campaigns here in Oregon), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis (please see my 'March 21st, 2024 Update No. 2,' which can be found above), as I have explained below:
...Alright, I have a big announcement to make: I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis!
And I have made this decision based upon how much these individual political campaign donations are costing in my 'monthly donating budget'—even though I am only donating $3.00 with a $0.21 tip to ActBlue—since I totally changed the way that I approach how I calculate what I am spending on my credit card each month, starting in 2024! So now, I take the total amount that I have available in my monthly budget for my minimum payment on my credit card—as well as my extra payment—and I calculate how much I am reducing that amount each time that I charge on my credit card.
That way, I am very aware of the amount by which I am reducing my total available credit card payments for the month (the minimum payment and the extra payment) in order to, hopefully, pay more on my credit card than I am spending! Plus, I am also utilizing some funds from my budgeted expenses, as well as some funds from my savings, to make sure that I am paying a little more than I am spending while—at the same time—I am also trying to spend less on my credit card.
Therefore, at the start of 2024, I calculated that I could still make ONE $3.00 donation per political campaign for the entire election cycle. And that means after I have made that one donation per campaign—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I have only donated once per campaign, which is what I have been doing so far!
However, it's still more than I can afford given my 'monthly donating budget,' which is why I have decided to stop donating to individual political campaigns entirely—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And so, I will still be making some donations to individual political campaigns (such as to Joe Biden's campaign for President of the United States, or to local campaigns here in Oregon), but I am not donating like I have been up until this point—which has been virtually every time that I have received a political campaign donation request via email or text message—because I seriously cannot afford to donate that much for the rest of the 2024 Presidential Election cycle, as well as for the foreseeable future.
And to clarify one more thing: In the past, I used to only donate to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations—rather than to individual campaigns—since that's all I really could afford given my 'monthly spending budget,' because I am "low income." Plus, those Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations help all of the individual political campaigns with funding, which is why I used to only donate to those main organizations! And I only started donating to individual political campaigns in 2022, since I was "doing everything in my power to help Democrats win in the 2022 Midterm Elections!" Therefore, this decision to stop donating to individual political campaigns (with the exception of presidential campaigns and local campaigns, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis) is really just going back to the way that I used to make political donations.
In addition to that, I used to donate "$5.00 per political organization"; however, starting on May 12th, 2024, I decided to adjust that amount, so that I can donate to more political organizations and PACs (Political Action Committees) while I am still staying within my 'monthly donating budget.'
Thus, as I partially explained above, for the rest of the 2024 election cycle—as well as for the foreseeable future—I have made a goal of donating $3.00 per local political campaign only here in Oregon (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.21), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and a goal of donating $4.00 per political organization for donation requests via email or text message (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.28), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; as well as a goal of donating $5.00 per political organization, or per PAC, for donation requests via the regular mail (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
To sum it up, then: I am essentially keeping the same total individual campaign donation amount of $3.21, but I am only donating to local campaigns here in Oregon, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for email and text message donation requests to $4.28 (from $5.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; plus, I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for regular mail donation requests to $5.35 (from $7.51), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
So, without further ado...
[Blogger's Note: Please see my 'May 19th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses May 10th, 2024, May 12th, 2024, May 16th, 2024 And May 18th, 2024, As Well As The Time Period Of May 1st, 2024 Through May 3rd, 2024' that can be found above, which includes the article below that was the inspiration for the following donation.]
The only political communication to which I responded was an article that I read from The New York Times today, May 19th, 2024, from an email that I received sixteen days ago on May 3rd, 2024, with the title, "Latino Advocacy Groups Call Trump’s Deportation Plans a Danger to Democracy." (By the way, I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.) An introduction to the article can be found below:
"Latino Advocacy Groups Call Trump’s Deportation Plans a Danger to Democracy" from The New York Times
The political arms of five organizations are coordinating their efforts to mobilize Hispanic Democrats, saying that defeating the former president is their top goal.
By Jazmine Ulloa | May 3, 2024
Leaders of five Latino and immigrant rights’ organizations on Friday denounced former President Donald J. Trump’s immigration proposals, saying his plans would amount to constitutional overreach, lead to mass racial profiling against Latinos and pose a threat to democracy.
Mr. Trump in a Time magazine interview this week described the arrival of migrants at the nation’s southern border as an “invasion” and laid out plans for a massive deportation operation if he is re-elected this fall.
“There’s no right way to be American, there’s no right way to look American,” said María Teresa Kumar, president of Voto Latino, adding that Mr. Trump and his backers sent Hispanic voters the wrong message.
The event was part of an effort by the groups’ political arms to better coordinate their work to shore up Latino support for President Biden and other Democrats ahead of the November election.
Speaking at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., leaders with Voto Latino, UnidosUS Action Fund, Mi Familia Vota, America’s Voice, and Latino Victory Project announced a combined investment of $50 million — the most the groups have spent jointly to sway a voting bloc that is likely to be crucial in swing-state races and congressional elections. ...
Please see the hyperlink below for the article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/03/us/politics/latino-groups-oppose-trump.html
And, after I read the article above, I did a Google search for Voto Latino and found their main website VotoLatino.org, where I noticed a popup that appeared, which stated the following:
Less than 200 days until the Election!
Help us register young Latino voters ahead of critical deadlines in battleground states like Georgia, Arizona, and Pennsylvania. The most effective impact you can make is a recurring gift to our voter registration efforts.
INVEST IN OUR VOTER REGISTRATION WORK
And, after I read the popup above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
VOTO LATINO
It's your country. Represent!
DONATE TO HELP US REGISTER 500,000 NEW VOTERS BEFORE NOVEMBER 5TH, 2024
We need your support to keep up the pace and register at least 500,000 more Latino voters before registration deadlines hit and time runs out to request absentee ballots.
Will you pitch in, if you can, to help us register the voters we need to make sure OUR VOICES are heard on Election Day?
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Voto Latino.
[ ] DONATE $10 →
[ ] DONATE $25 →
[ ] DONATE $50 →
[ ] DONATE $100 →
[ ] DONATE $250 →
[✓] OTHER AMOUNT $5.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.35 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to the Voto Latino (with a tip to ActBlue) because the "leaders of five Latino and immigrant rights’ organizations on Friday [May 3rd, 2024] denounced former President Donald J. Trump’s immigration proposals, saying his plans would amount to constitutional overreach, lead to mass racial profiling against Latinos and pose a threat to democracy." That is why I contributed to Voto Latino, since "their focus [that is, Voto Latino, UnidosUS Action Fund, Mi Familia Vota, America’s Voice, and Latino Victory Project], they said, was to avoid another Trump presidency." You see, as an 'Online Activist,' I had already heard about Voto Latino before, because they are "a civic engagement organization focused on educating and empowering a new generation of Latinx voters, as well as creating a more robust and inclusive democracy."
Thus, this one organization—Voto Latino—is the political organization that I donated to today! –Paul Whiting (written May 19th, 2024, revised June 11th, 2024 and revised July 11th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses May 18th, 2024 (Originally From My Blog Post Titled, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," Which Is On My "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" Blog): I received a mailer from Street Roots three days ago on May 18th, 2024, with a 'front teaser message' on the flyer that read, "25 YEARS of STREET ROOTS: Ambassadors of your local news since 1999. Rooted in dignity. Blossoming through relation.", which stated the following:
[I used to hand-type the text of the documents from these types of mailers on my smartphone; however, it takes a lot of time and energy in order to hand-type these kinds of documents: so, instead, I scanned and copied the documents using Google Lens! Then, I edited the copy of said documents to include all of the italicizing, bolding and/or underscoring where applicable.]
STREET ROOTS
[Address redacted]
[City, State and ZIP Code redacted]
Paul Whiting
[Street Address and Apt. No. redacted]
[City, State and ZIP Code redacted]
Street Roots has perservered for 25 years
as a dignified income opportunity,
trusted source of local investigative news,
force for advocacy,
bridge to resources,
and beacon of connection and belonging.
Your support today sets Street Roots up for another 25 years.
This year, we return to our roots on Burnside. Your donation will help us blossom in our new home.
Together, we bloom.
SCAN HERE TO DONATE:
https://secure.qgiv.com/for/strroo
---------------------------------------------
Street Roots
Together, we bloom.
ONE TIME DONATIONS
[ ] $1000: Covers a weekly SR newspaper printing and creates income for 250 vendors
[ ] $500: Coordinates two weeks of outreach to unhoused folks through our Ambassador program
[ ] $250: Supports educational stipends for our new rooftop classroom, the School in the Sky
[ ] $100: Provides much-needed socks, hats, ponchos and hand-warmers to our vendors
[ ] $50: Supplies detergent for laundry in our new Wellness Center
[ ] $25: Launches 10 new vendors with 10 free papers each
[✓] $5.00*: A gift at any level makes a difference
Street Roots creates income opportunities for people experiencing homelessness and poverty by producing a newspaper and other media that are catalysts for individual and social change.
www.streetroots.org
*[Blogger's Note: I accidentally donated $5.00 to Street Roots for this mailer, rather than donating a minimum of $7.00 like I usually do for regular mail requests! You see, I used to donate a minimum of $10.00 for mailers, but I reduced that amount in August of 2023 to $7.00 per mailer (please see my post script which begins by saying, "P.S.: Just so you know 'I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ...'" that can be found below). Thus, I mistakenly donated the minimum of $5.00 that I usually donate for email/text message requests.]
And so, I made a one-time donation to Street Roots today, May 21st, 2024, because "Street Roots creates income opportunities for people experiencing homelessness and poverty by producing a newspaper and other media that are catalysts for individual and social change." –Paul Whiting (written May 21st, 2024 and revised May 23rd, 2024)
P.S.: Just so you know, "I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ... due to the fact that I have been spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations." (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) Therefore, "I am reducing how much I donate for the regular mail requests that I receive (to which I choose to respond) to take action." Thus, I will still be responding to some of the regular mail requests that I receive (to which I choose to respond), which are requesting me to take action, but I am reducing the amount that I donate to organizations from which I receive mailers. (Please see my 'August 19th, 2023 Update,' which can be found above.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 Update No. 2, Which Also Discusses May 20th, 2024: I received an email from VoteVets yesterday, May 20th, 2024, with the subject line, "Scott Perry TRASHES Military Families", which stated the following:
Paul,
Representative Scott Perry, a Republican from Pennsylvania, went on a tirade against Military families last week.
Bad enough this former General in the National Guard is one of Trump’s most loyal foot soldiers.
Bad enough that he worked tirelessly to spread the Big Lie and subvert the will of the voters and help Trump illegally hold on to power.
Bad enough that he’s being investigated by the FBI for those efforts.
But this former General railed against a bill aimed at helping Military spouses hang on to their jobs if the Military requires them to move to a new duty station.
See for yourself:
---------------------------------------------
[START OF 'POST' ON "X," FORMERLY TWITTER]
VoteVets
@votevets
🚨@RepScottPerry's remarks are an outright insult to Military Families. Being against the support they need for family stability is disgraceful and jeopardizes military retention and readiness. Our Servicemembers and their families deserve FAR better!
[start of imbedded video image]
"WE CANNOT FASHION OUR DECISIONS..."
RETIRED GENERAL AND GOP CONGRESSMAN TRASHES MILITARY FAMILIES.
NO SURPRISE!
[end of imbedded video image]
[END OF 'POST' ON "X," FORMERLY TWITTER]
https://x.com/votevets/status/1792179890034192770
[Blogger's Note: I watched the video on 'X' (formerly Twitter) above that is titled, "WE CANNOT FASHION OUR DECISIONS..."]
---------------------------------------------
This is disgusting and he should know better. No one signs up for their spouse to be unemployed, because of their service. If we can help out Military families, we should, PERIOD. If you can’t support Military families, you should not be in public office.
Maybe Perry and his GOP allies don’t care about Military families, but if you do, please:
Add your name here and show the millions of spouses, daughters, and sons of our Active Duty that we have their back.
ADD YOUR NAME***
Thank you,
The team at VoteVets
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
VoteVets
ADD YOUR NAME: SUPPORT MILITARY FAMILIES
Add your name to stand in solidarity with VoteVets and Military families across the country in response to recent attacks from the House GOP.
We hope you will join us.
FIRST NAME: Paul
LAST NAME: Whiting
EMAIL ADDRESS: [redacted]
MOBILE PHONE: [redacted]
What is your Military connection?
[ ] Veteran
[✓] Family of Veteran
[ ] Other
VoteVets depends on support from thousands of grassroots supporters like you to power our work. Can we count on you to make a contribution to help us advocate for Veterans and their families nationwide?
[ ] Yes, I will contribute $5
[ ] Yes, I will contribute $25
[ ] Yes, I will contribute more!
And so, I added my name today, May 21st, 2024, in order to "stand in solidarity with VoteVets and Military families across the country in response to recent attacks from the House GOP." –Paul Whiting (written May 21st, 2024 and revised May 23rd, 2024)
P.S.: Just so you know, I used to make one-time donations to the organization that is the subject of these 'updates' each time that I took an action as requested by that organization; however, "I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ... due to the fact that I have been spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations." (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) Therefore, "I am greatly reducing the number of times that I donate for the same organization per month down to once—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis." (Please see my 'August 19th, 2023 Update,' which can be found above.) Thus, because I have already donated to VoteVets on May 12th, 2024 (please see my 'May 12th, 2024 Update No. 4, Written On May 13th, 2024, Which Also Discusses April 19th, 2024, May 1st, 2024, May 2nd, 2024, May 6th, 2024, As Well As May 11th, 2024' that can be found above) that is the one-time donation which I made to VoteVets for May 2024.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 Update No. 3 (Originally From My Blog Post Titled, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," Which Is On My "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" Blog): I received a text message today, May 21st, 2024, from the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, which stated the following:
Paul, it's [name redacted], [title redacted] & [title redacted] of the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation. Every 2 minutes, a child is moved from an unstable home into the Foster Care System. This can lead them to believe they're unlovable, even worthless. But they are LOVED - not forgotten! Your gift today, in honor of National Foster Care Month, will provide books, toys, & other gifts, giving them comfort and hope for a brighter future! Hope springs from every gesture of compassion. Please click to give now & show these children YOU care.***
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the text message above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
MARINE CORPS RESERVE
TOYS FOR TOTS
Bring Hope and Joy to Children in Foster Care
Marine Toys for Tots
Your gift in honor of National Foster Care Month will help provide toys, books, games, and emotional comfort for children in the Foster Care System. A simple gesture like this will do so much to remind them they are not forgotten. They have value. They are loved!
Thank you for giving generously to restore children's hope for tomorrow!
Donation Information
[ ] $50
[ ] $75
[ ] $100
[ ] $150
[✓] $5.00
Contact Information
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Street Address: [redacted]
Postal Code: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State: [redacted]
Email: [redacted]
Phone (Optional): [redacted]
And so, I made a one-time donation to the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation in order to "help provide toys, books, games, and emotional comfort for children in the Foster Care System ... in honor of National Foster Care Month." –Paul Whiting (written May 21st, 2024 and revised June 9th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 Update No. 4: I voted today, May 21st, 2024, in Oregon's Primary Election! –Paul Whiting (May 21st, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 23rd, 2024 Update No. 1: I received a text message today, May 23rd, 2024, from Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA), which stated the following:
Hi, Paul, [name redacted], IAVA [title redacted] here.
Thank you for taking the pledge to #GoSilent on May 27th at 3:00 PM local time. IAVA has executed a lot of successful campaigns on behalf of our community, but none is more important than our #GoSilent campaign.
When we collectively pledge to #GoSilent, we remind America what Memorial Day is really about: recognizing the sacrifice of those who gave all in service to our nation.
With only 3 days to go until Memorial Day, I’m personally asking if you can challenge your network to join you and the rest of our IAVA community to #GoSilent, so together, we can ensure the sacrifice of the fallen is remembered and not forgotten: ***
[Blogger's Note: Please see my 'May 1st, 2024 Update No. 2' for my pledge to #GoSilent with IAVA on Memorial Day 2024, which can be found above.]
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the text above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
#GOSILENT SOCIAL MEDIA TOOLKIT
After you take the #GoSilent pledge at IAVA.org/go-silent, the following tools will help guide your social media participation with IAVA’s #GoSilent campaign. Personalize and share your own stories, photos and experiences as much as possible with the hashtag #GoSilent. Make sure to tag IAVA and we will retweet/share your post!
---------------------------------------------
SHARE THE MESSAGE: X
Use the “Share” links below or copy/paste the tweet we’ve prepared to create your X post.
So, I selected the "Share on X" option [by the way, I only have a X.com account (formerly Twitter.com) so I can read posts which are included in some online articles that I read] in order for me to provide you, my readers, with the text and hyperlink below:
Take the pledge to #GoSilent on Monday, May 27th at 3PM local time in honor of the brave men and women who have given their lives in service to our nation. Join the @IAVA #MemorialDay campaign at iava.org/go-silent!
https://iava.org/go-silent
Thus, I wanted to share this text message from Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) with you, my readers, so that you too can "take the pledge to #GoSilent on Monday, May 27th [2024] at 3PM local time in honor of the brave men and women who have given their lives in service to our nation." –Paul Whiting (May 23rd, 2024)
P.S.: Just so you know, I used to make one-time donations to the organization that is the subject of these 'updates' each time that I took an action as requested by that organization; however, "I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ... due to the fact that I have been spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations." (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) Therefore, "I am really 'tightening my belt,' so to speak, with regard to all of the donations that I am making on my credit card each month! My plan is to only donate to political, progressive and charitable organizations if they specifically ask for donations—and not just for the sake of donating to them at least once per month, or even when I have been taking some sort of action, such as signing a petition, or sending a letter, etc. Thus, I am trying to greatly reduce the number of donations that I make to simply once in a while, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis! You see, there are a lot of organizations that I literally donate to only once per year—such as for Giving Tuesday—which is all that I ever donate to them. And that is basically what I am striving for, so that I am still donating to political, progressive and charitable organizations, but the bare minimum that I can donate, since that's all I can really afford." [Please see my 'August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 4, Written On December 1st, 2023 About November 2023' (that also appears as 'November 30th, 2023 Update No. 2, Written On December 1st, 2023' on some of my blogs), which can be found above.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2024 Update No. 1: I received a text message today, May 24th, 2024, from Brady: United Against Gun Violence, which stated the following:
Paul, it's Coach [name redacted]. I'm an NBA coach, a father, and a gun violence survivor. I'm reaching out on behalf of Brady because we all need to be in the fight to free America from gun violence and stop the next tragedy.
Two years ago today, 19 children and two teachers were killed by a gunman with an AR-15 at their elementary school in Uvalde, TX [Texas].
After that heinous tragedy, I used my platform to ask the nation: 𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘥𝘰 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨? Yet school shootings continue and weapons of war remain on our streets.
That's why, to honor the victims of Uvalde with action and make sure no other families in America need to live in fear, I'm personally asking: 𝗪𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝗮 𝗴𝗶𝗳𝘁 𝘁𝗼𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁 𝗕𝗿𝗮𝗱𝘆'𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲-𝘀𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗴𝘂𝗻 𝘃𝗶𝗼𝗹𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺? 𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝗳𝘁 𝘂𝗽 𝘁𝗼 $𝟭𝟬𝟬,𝟬𝟬𝟬 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗗𝗢𝗨𝗕𝗟𝗘𝗗 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗺𝗶𝗱𝗻𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘁𝗼𝗻𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁:***
Coach [name redacted]
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And so, I made a one-time donation to Brady: United Against Gun Violence because "two years ago today, 19 children and two teachers were killed by a gunman with an AR-15 at their elementary school in Uvalde, TX." Therefore, "to honor the victims of Uvalde with action and make sure no other families in America need to live in fear," I made "a gift today to support Brady's life-saving fight for gun violence reform." –Paul Whiting (May 24th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2024 Update No. 2: [CONTENT WARNING: THIS UPDATE CONTAINS DISCUSSIONS ABOUT GUN VIOLENCE WHICH MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME READERS. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!] I received an email from March For Our Lives (MFOL) today, May 24th, 2024, with the subject line, "Two years after the Uvalde Shooting", which stated the following:
MARCH
FOR OUR
LIVES
Content warning: This email reflects on the events at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas on May 24, 2022. If this is too much to read, we understand. Take care of yourself and skip the rest of this email. Here are some mental health resources that you may find helpful.
Paul,
Today marks two years since the tragic shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, where 19 children and two of their teachers were brutally taken in a preventable tragedy. Seventeen children and teachers were also grievously injured, and an entire community was changed forever.
As we remember this horrific event, March For Our Lives stands in solidarity with the families and community of Uvalde, honoring the victims and survivors, and standing with them in the journey for action and accountability.
In the days following the shooting, while NRA-backed politicians like Trump said, “Get over it,” March For Our Lives organized our second historic March in Washington, D.C.
Following our efforts, the demands of the millions of Americans who grieved alongside Uvalde were met with victory in the historic Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, the first piece of federal gun safety legislation in three decades.
This is a step in the right direction, Paul, but it is not nearly enough.
We will continue to honor those we lost and fight like hell for those who are still with us until no other community has to experience this unimaginable pain, and until children can grow up without the fear of going to school.
In solidarity,
March For Our Lives
Today and every day we honor the lives lost in Uvalde on May 24, 2022.
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 9
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 9
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 11
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 11
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 10
[name redacted], 48
[name redacted], 44
DONATE NOW***
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And so, I made a one-time donation to March For Our Lives (MFOL) because "today marks two years since the tragic shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, where 19 children and two of their teachers were brutally taken in a preventable tragedy," where "seventeen children and teachers were also grievously injured, and an entire community was changed forever." Thus, I contributed to MFOL since "[they] will continue to honor those we lost and fight like hell for those who are still with us until no other community has to experience this unimaginable pain, and until children can grow up without the fear of going to school." –Paul Whiting (written May 24th, 2024 and revised July 5th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 24th, 2024 Update No. 3: I have combined every political campaign, or political organization, donation request per day (made via email or text message) into one 'update' for each day that I donate, so that I don't have to keep writing individual 'updates' for political campaign donations, or political organization donations!
You see, I used to write one 'update' for each of the individual campaign political donations, or political organization donations, that I made virtually every time that I made a political donation. And within each 'update' I included the text from each political campaign's, or political organization's, requesting email or text message, along with some of each campaign's, or organization's, donation page text on the ActBlue website, as well as how much I donated to each campaign, or organization, plus whether I included a tip to ActBlue and how much I tipped.
(By the way, I still write individual 'updates' for political campaign, or political organization, mailers that I receive through the regular mail, because they are usually more elaborate political donation requests, which is why I don't include them with these email or text message requests.)
Plus, the 2024 election cycle is in full gear and I have made a goal of donating only one $3.00 donation per local political campaign here in Oregon (more on that below), or $4.00 per political organization, for the rest of the election cycle! And that means after I make that one donation per campaign, or per organization—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I am only donating once per campaign, or per organization, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And I am only donating once per PAC (Political Action Committee) for the entire election cycle, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, because that is all that I can really afford for the 2024 Presidential Election. (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) I hope that makes sense!
Besides that, as of March 21st, 2024, I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future (with the exception of local campaigns here in Oregon), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis (please see my 'March 21st, 2024 Update No. 2,' which can be found above), as I have explained below:
...Alright, I have a big announcement to make: I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis!
And I have made this decision based upon how much these individual political campaign donations are costing in my 'monthly donating budget'—even though I am only donating $3.00 with a $0.21 tip to ActBlue—since I totally changed the way that I approach how I calculate what I am spending on my credit card each month, starting in 2024! So now, I take the total amount that I have available in my monthly budget for my minimum payment on my credit card—as well as my extra payment—and I calculate how much I am reducing that amount each time that I charge on my credit card.
That way, I am very aware of the amount by which I am reducing my total available credit card payments for the month (the minimum payment and the extra payment) in order to, hopefully, pay more on my credit card than I am spending! Plus, I am also utilizing some funds from my budgeted expenses, as well as some funds from my savings, to make sure that I am paying a little more than I am spending while—at the same time—I am also trying to spend less on my credit card.
Therefore, at the start of 2024, I calculated that I could still make ONE $3.00 donation per political campaign for the entire election cycle. And that means after I have made that one donation per campaign—regardless of whether I donated in 2023, or 2024—I have only donated once per campaign, which is what I have been doing so far!
However, it's still more than I can afford given my 'monthly donating budget,' which is why I have decided to stop donating to individual political campaigns entirely—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And so, I will still be making some donations to individual political campaigns (such as to Joe Biden's campaign for President of the United States, or to local campaigns here in Oregon), but I am not donating like I have been up until this point—which has been virtually every time that I have received a political campaign donation request via email or text message—because I seriously cannot afford to donate that much for the rest of the 2024 Presidential Election cycle, as well as for the foreseeable future.
And to clarify one more thing: In the past, I used to only donate to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations—rather than to individual campaigns—since that's all I really could afford given my 'monthly spending budget,' because I am "low income." Plus, those Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations help all of the individual political campaigns with funding, which is why I used to only donate to those main organizations! And I only started donating to individual political campaigns in 2022, since I was "doing everything in my power to help Democrats win in the 2022 Midterm Elections!" Therefore, this decision to stop donating to individual political campaigns (with the exception of presidential campaigns and local campaigns, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis) is really just going back to the way that I used to make political donations.
In addition to that, I used to donate "$5.00 per political organization"; however, starting on May 12th, 2024, I decided to adjust that amount, so that I can donate to more political organizations and PACs (Political Action Committees) while I am still staying within my 'monthly donating budget.'
Thus, as I partially explained above, for the rest of the 2024 election cycle—as well as for the foreseeable future—I have made a goal of donating $3.00 per local political campaign only here in Oregon (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.21), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and a goal of donating $4.00 per political organization for donation requests via email or text message (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.28), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; as well as a goal of donating $5.00 per political organization, or per PAC, for donation requests via the regular mail (with a 7% tip to ActBlue of $0.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
To sum it up, then: I am essentially keeping the same total individual campaign donation amount of $3.21, but I am only donating to local campaigns here in Oregon, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; and I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for email and text message donation requests to $4.28 (from $5.35), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis; plus, I am reducing the total donation amount for political organizations and PACs for regular mail donation requests to $5.35 (from $7.51), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis.
So, without further ado...
The only political communication to which I responded was an email from Ban Assault Weapons NOW PAC [Ban Assault Weapons NOW (BAWN) Political Action Committee, or BAWN PAC] today, May 24th, 2024, with the subject line, "humbly asking, Paul", which stated, in part, the following:
As a Gen Z activist and organizer with March for Our Lives, I’ve been working around the clock to make sure my generation is the last to grow up doing active shooter drills. Now, I'm proud to join [name redacted] and the Tour to Save Democracy to continue our fight. Will you join me and [name redacted] in the fight against gun violence by pitching into the tour today? >>***
Paul, I was just seven years old when I experienced my first mass shooting drill.
I remember hearing “BANG BANG BANG” as a school officer pounded on my classroom door, trying to get inside.
My legs shook and my heart beat so loudly that I could feel the vibrations throughout my body.
I knew it was fake, but the trauma of that shooting drill was real.
My generation – Generation Z – has grown up under the constant threat of gun violence, learning our multiplication tables alongside how to barricade our classroom doors.
That reality was made all too real after a vicious gunman with an assault weapon stole the lives of 7 and injured 48 more in my community of Highland Park, Illinois.
Since then, there have been HUNDREDS of mass shootings across the nation – including violent shootings in Pennsylvania, Georgia, AND Illinois just this week.
But Republicans still refuse to take action.
So believe me when I say, Paul: Young people are sick and tired of thoughts and prayers.
That’s why I’m proud to work alongside [name redacted] to mobilize Gen Z voters to defeat vulnerable Republicans through our groundbreaking Tour to Save Democracy. Our generation will be the ones to end these ruthless tragedies, ban assault weapons, and ensure that no one else has to grow up under the constant threat of gun violence. But we need your support, Paul. If we can bring...more gifts in the door before midnight, we can ensure that the Tour to Save Democracy has the resources needed to travel to critical swing districts across the country, defeat every Republican standing in the way of passing sensible legislation, and elect Democratic champions of gun violence prevention across the country. So I’m humbly asking: Can you chip in $15 right away? All contributions will help cover tour costs like gas, permits, and food. >>***
Founding Donor
For: Paul Whiting
Suggested Support $15 >>***
We can’t end gun violence without a unified front, Paul.
Even though Illinois banned assault weapons, there’s still so much more work to be done.
Because when our neighbors like Wisconsin, Indiana, and Iowa have lax gun laws, someone can easily cross the border and access terrifying weapons that they couldn’t get here.
I’ll be blunt: For too long, elected officials have gotten away with reciting the empty phrase “thoughts and prayers” after each shooting instead of passing meaningful legislation.
But with your support, we can take decisive action to make “thoughts and prayers” a thing of the past, replace every vulnerable Republican with a gun safety Democrat, and ban assault weapons for good.
Take it from me, Paul: Building a nationwide movement isn’t easy. But if we’re going to have any chance at defeating pro-gun legislators and electing a Democratic Majority in Congress to pass sensible gun reforms, we’re going to need strong allies behind us. [Name redacted] and I are counting on...grassroots supporters to pitch in before midnight to help us fuel the Tour to Save Democracy's 21 stops across the country to rally Gen Z to our full voting powers and finally end gun violence for good. Will you join our fight by chipping in $15 right now? Your donation will directly support tour expenses like paying bus drivers, refueling the bus, and securing permits. >>
[ ] Chip in $15 now >>
[ ] Chip in $30 now >>
[ ] Chip in $45 now >>
[ ] Chip in $60 now >>
[✓] Chip in another amount now >>***
Thank you,
[Name redacted]
[Title redacted] for Tour to Save Democracy
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
CONTRIBUTE TO THE TOUR TO SAVE DEMOCRACY!
BAWN is partnering with [name redacted] as he embarks on a summer tour to save our democracy. [Name redacted] and a collective of Gen Z activists will bus across the nation stopping in Republican-held swing districts to rally young voters, flip these seats blue, and elect strong gun safety Democrats.
But [name redacted] is counting on grassroots support to fund his tour and make it possible.
Will you rush in a gift before midnight? Your contribution will directly support necessary parts of [name redacted's] tour, like gas, food, and lodging expenses.
Donate immediately:
Your contribution will benefit Ban Assault Weapons NOW PAC.
[ ] Donate $25 →
[ ] Donate $50 →
[ ] Donate $100 →
[ ] Donate $500 →
[ ] Donate $250 →
[ ] Donate $1,000 →
[✓] Other amount $5.00
Please leave a tip for ActBlue
Power the nonprofit fundraising platform Democratic candidates & progressive causes rely on.
[ ] Add $2 tip
[ ] Leave no tip
[✓] Add custom amount $0.35 (7%)
And so, I made a one-time donation to Ban Assault Weapons NOW PAC (BAWN PAC) (with a tip to ActBlue) because "[BAWN PAC] can ensure that the Tour to Save Democracy has the resources needed to travel to critical swing districts across the country, defeat every Republican standing in the way of passing sensible legislation, and elect Democratic champions of gun violence prevention across the country."
Thus, this one Political Action Committee (PAC)—Ban Assault Weapons NOW PAC (BAWN PAC)—is the PAC that I donated to today! –Paul Whiting (written May 24th, 2024, revised June 2nd, 2024, revised June 11th, 2024 and revised July 11th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses May 25th, 2024: I received an email from Planned Parenthood Action Fund yesterday, May 25th, 2024, with the subject line, "INSIDE: A win in AZ [Arizona]", which stated the following:
Planned Parenthood Action Fund Update
Action Fund Update is the monthly newsletter for members of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund. As an associate member of the Action Fund, you'll receive timely, insider information on our legislative, advocacy, and electoral work.
Member News
Paul,
In the legal fight to protect access to abortion, the Arizona Supreme Court issued an order staying its mandate that would allow prosecutors to enforce a 160-year-old law against doctors for providing abortion care. Because of another court-ordered stay regarding this law, this means the earliest the law could be enacted is the end of September.
While it’s still nightmarish that this law is even on the table, the most important thing about this stay is that it gives patients and providers in Arizona a reprieve for a few months.
[A quote] from [name redacted], the [title redacted] of Planned Parenthood Arizona:
"Planned Parenthood Arizona will continue to provide abortion care through 15 weeks of pregnancy, and we remain focused on ensuring patients have access to abortion care for as long as legally possible. We know that it is now more important than ever to provide care to as many patients as we legally can, and we are committed to expanding our services to meet the increasing needs of our community — including recently resuming medication abortion services at our Flagstaff Health Center. We will not be intimidated or silenced by anti-abortion extremists, because our bodies and our autonomy are at stake.”
Patients and providers will continue to suffer in states like Florida — where abortion is on the ballot in November, but in the meantime, a highly restrictive 6-week ban is in place. And in places like Louisiana, where the legislature just passed a first-in-nation bill to inappropriately add safe, essential abortion medications to the state’s Controlled Substances list, which could criminalize people who possess these pills without a prescription and make it harder for patients who use these medications outside of the abortion context to access them. That bill is now headed to the governor’s desk for signing, despite widespread opposition from Louisiana reproductive medical experts.
No matter what, Planned Parenthood Action Fund will continue to fight to help restore and expand abortion access and protect our fundamental reproductive rights.
Thank you for being a part of this.
[Name redacted], [Title redacted]
Planned Parenthood Action Fund
P.S. Based on our records, it looks like your Associate Membership is going to expire soon. Don't miss out on timely, insider information on Planned Parenthood Action Fund's advocacy, legislative work, and electoral endorsements, as well as volunteer opportunities in your area. Click here to renew your membership.*
Candidate Endorsement News
We're committed to supporting champions of reproductive health. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is proud to endorse:
Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (FL)
Debbie Mucarsel-Powell is a former congresswoman from Florida who became the first South American immigrant to serve in Congress when she was elected in 2018. She is now running for Senate to replace Rick Scott, a senator who has been an outspoken supporter of restrictions on reproductive freedom and abortion. If elected, she would be the first Latina elected to the Senate from Florida.
Angela Alsobrooks (MD)
Angela Alsobrooks has spent her career fighting for Marylanders, and will continue that tireless fight in the Senate. Alsobrooks currently serves as county executive for Prince George’s County. She is the first woman to hold the position and the first Black woman elected to the position of county executive in Maryland’s history. She will be a voice for expanding reproductive rights and abortion access, ensuring that all Americans have the right to control their own bodies, lives, and futures. If elected, she would be the first Black woman elected to the Senate from Maryland.
See Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s ongoing list of endorsed candidates here (https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/act/2024-endorsements)!
Take Action: Demand Court Reform Now!
Right now, we are all anxiously awaiting rulings from the U.S. Supreme Court that could fundamentally change reproductive access and care across the country.
Next month, the Supreme Court is likely to rule on whether to limit access to FDA- approved mifepristone, one of two medicines commonly used for miscarriage care and medication abortion. The court will also soon rule in a case to determine whether pregnant people can be denied emergency medical care. A longstanding federal law, the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (or EMTALA) requires hospital emergency room doctors to provide all patients with the treatment physicians deem as stabilizing to save patients' health and lives. Idaho and other states with abortion bans want to sidestep the law and exclude emergency abortion care, even for people facing serious pregnancy complications. The outcomes of both cases could endanger the lives of pregnant people.
Politicians opposed to abortion know they can’t win in the court of public opinion, so they are relying on the courts that are hostile to reproductive health to take away our basic human rights. We have to act now to reform our federal courts and ensure that the systems in place protect people, not politics.
Add your name: We must reform our courts now!***
[Blogger's Note: I was considered taking this action by adding my name to "Demand court reform now!", which states the following:
Demand court reform now!
To protect and advance our rights, we must reclaim our federal courts.
Our fundamental rights are under attack, and we need courts that will defend our freedoms, apply the law fairly, and advance equality.
But for years, lawmakers hostile to our reproductive rights have been filling the courts with judges who think — and look — like them. While our courts were once a backstop to protect our rights, presidential administrations and hostile Senate majorities have worked over time to successfully stack the courts with judges and justices who are hostile to our rights.
Structural, systemic, and meaningful court reform is the only way to ensure that courts uphold the law and protect our rights.
Sign your name to join us in the call to reform our courts. Together, we will secure rights, opportunities, and reproductive freedom for all.
What do we mean by "court reform?" Expand to learn more. ▼
THE PROBLEM:
▪ The Supreme Court hasn't been expanded for 150 years — meanwhile the U.S. has become much more diverse, the population has multiplied by more than 10, and the volume of cases brought before the federal judiciary has significantly increased.
▪ Supreme Court justices are also now serving significantly longer terms than their predecessors — as many as 30 or more years on the bench.
THE SOLUTION:
▪ Expand the number of justices on the Supreme Court and put term limits in place for justices.
THE PROBLEM:
▪ Supreme Court justices aren't forced to follow a binding code of conduct. Justices aren't prevented from owning and trading stocks, have poorly defined rules around accepting gifts — and there are no clear consequences for most unethical behavior.
▪ This makes it possible for outside groups and individuals to influence justices in ways that we may never learn about.
THE SOLUTION:
▪ Impose ethics and transparency requirements for Supreme Court justices.
THE PROBLEM:
▪ The federal courts are increasingly overburdened and there aren't enough judges to keep up with the growing U.S. population and caseloads.
▪ It's been more than 30 years since Congress last comprehensively expanded the number of lower court seats — the longest period of time between expansions in the history of district courts and courts of appeals.
THE SOLUTION:
▪ Add seats for additional judges on lower courts to keep up with the growing U.S. population and caseload.
THE PROBLEM:
▪ Interest groups can shop for judges who align with their views — often judges they've helped get confirmed — and then deliberately send them cases, knowing they will decide against reproductive freedom, gender equity, LGBTQ+ liberation, access to health care, and civil liberties.
THE SOLUTION:
▪ Prevent single-judge divisions so that interest groups can't "shop" for judges and guarantee that a favorable judge decides their case.
Show Less ▲
However, I am concerned about telling judges how to do their jobs (especially the Supreme Court of the United States) and how their jobs need to be changed, because I am afraid that they may take offense. Thus—to the best of my knowledge—I have never actually signed a petition with regard to reforming the courts. That is why I opted to not take this specific action.]
State Spotlight: South Carolina
A South Carolina judge ruled that the state can continue to enforce a ban on nearly all abortions after 6 weeks as an appeal continues. Planned Parenthood had argued that the law should be blocked while its vague language and meaning are determined. The court ruled that the law would stand as the case moves through the courts.
Here's what this means and what's next.
https://apnews.com/article/abortion-south-carolina-fetal-heartbeat-fa742d40c8e15df41c8545d8a33a1838
Around the Web
NBC News: More than half of Black women ages 15-49 live with little to no abortion access
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/57-percent-black-women-abortion-bans-restictions-rcna151972
NPR: Louisiana may reclassify drugs used in abortion as controlled dangerous substances
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2024/05/17/1251965020/louisiana-may-reclassify-drugs-used-in-abortion-as-controlled-dangerous-substanc
NBC News: Abortion rights amendments qualify for the ballot in Colorado and South Dakota
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/abortion-rights-ballot-measure-south-dakota-rcna152746
Visit plannedparenthoodaction.org
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
By the way, I read all of the articles referenced in the email above including the article regarding 'a South Carolina judge [who] ruled that the state can continue to enforce a ban on nearly all abortions after 6 weeks as an appeal continues,' which is titled, "Judge says South Carolina can enforce 6-week abortion ban amid dispute over when a heartbeat begins." I also read all of the articles listed under the 'Around the Web' sections above, which is what I always do when I receive these monthly newsletters from Planned Parenthood Action Fund—in addition to taking any requested action from the newsletter, if I haven't already taken that same requested action (or, those same requested actions), as noted from previous 'updates.'
*And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, regarding renewing my Associate Membership for the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, which can be found below:
Become a Planned Parenthood Action Fund Associate Member.
By submitting this form, I affirm that I want to become an associate member of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Whiting
Postal Code: [redacted]
Email: [redacted]
Mobile Phone (Optional): [redacted]
SUBMIT
And, after submitting the form above, I received a confirmation email today, May 26th, 2024, from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund with the subject line, "Thank you for your Associate Membership!", which stated the following:
Dear Paul,
Thank you for standing with us as an Associate Member of Planned Parenthood Action Fund!
Membership is free and allows you full access to timely Action Fund updates, including information about our grassroots organizing, legislative and regulatory advocacy, electoral endorsements, and volunteer opportunities in your area — and gives you an opportunity to vote for a member of the Action Fund Board of Directors.
You can also follow Planned Parenthood Action Fund on Facebook and Twitter.
We are so glad to have you with us!
Planned Parenthood Action Fund
And to clarify: I usually make a one-time donation to Planned Parenthood Action Fund after I renew my Associate Membership for the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, however I renewed my Associate Membership four months ago on January 13th, 2024 (please see my 'January 13th, 2024 Update No. 1,' which can be found above) and I made a one-time donation to Planned Parenthood Action Fund back then "in order to show my support for the Action Fund Update monthly newsletter, as well as for my 'Associate Membership of Planned Parenthood Action Fund'"; thus, I opted to renew my Associate Membership without donating this month.**
–Paul Whiting (May 26th, 2024)
**P.S.: Just so you know, I used to make one-time donations to the organization that is the subject of these 'updates' each time that I took an action as requested by that organization; however, "I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ... due to the fact that I have been spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations." (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) Therefore, "I am really 'tightening my belt,' so to speak, with regard to all of the donations that I am making on my credit card each month! My plan is to only donate to political, progressive and charitable organizations if they specifically ask for donations—and not just for the sake of donating to them at least once per month, or even when I have been taking some sort of action, such as signing a petition, or sending a letter, etc. Thus, I am trying to greatly reduce the number of donations that I make to simply once in a while, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis! You see, there are a lot of organizations that I literally donate to only once per year—such as for Giving Tuesday—which is all that I ever donate to them. And that is basically what I am striving for, so that I am still donating to political, progressive and charitable organizations, but the bare minimum that I can donate, since that's all I can really afford." [Please see my 'August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 4, Written On December 1st, 2023 About November 2023' (that also appears as 'November 30th, 2023 Update No. 2, Written On December 1st, 2023' on some of my blogs), which can be found above.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 26th, 2024 Update No. 2, Which Also Discusses May 21st, 2024, May 23rd, 2024 And May 25th, 2024, As Well As May 5th, 2024 Through May 16th: This 'update' that I am writing today, May 26th, 2024, is combined from my news searches on Google, which I do as often as I can manage—as well as from my occasional reading of The New York Times articles, USA Today articles and Time Magazine articles that I received via email—for the time period of May 5th, 2024 through May 25th, 2024.
Please let me explain: I have been busy with a lot of "Online Activism" lately that takes an enormous amount of time and energy to write about, which consists of various topics that each require their own 'updates!' Besides that, I have often been engaged in editing my five blogs—whenever I notice that any of my writing needs to be revised or corrected—which can take hours to complete depending upon how much editing I have to do!
So, because I have been so busy lately with "Online Activism," and also with the editing of my five blogs, I have just been reading the titles of The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles that I receive from their daily emails. Then, I will occasionally read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those emails that I highlight in these 'updates.'
That is why I recently signed up to receive email newsletters from the news organizations to which I subscribe in order for me to stay informed about what's happening in the world. And I was formerly writing separate 'updates' for each of the news articles that I read from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles; however, after I restarted writing these news 'updates' from my news searches on Google (which I stopped doing for a while), I also decided to restart writing the 'updates' from the above-mentioned news organizations to which I subscribe, but as a combined 'update.'
Thus, I am checking the news through Google searches again, like used to do, as often as I can manage it. You see, I used to keep up with the news virtually on a daily basis, because there is typically that much news every day; however, I am now simply checking the news via Google searches as often as I can manage to do so. And, I usually check what's happening in the world via various Google searches that I do under the following topics:
American News
United States News
USA News
President Biden News
Joe Biden News
Democrats News
Republicans News
Political News
World News
Global Warming News
Workers On Strike News
Portland Oregon News
Then, I read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those Google news searches.
So, without further ado, I was doing my occasional news searches on Google for May 21st, 2024, May 23rd, 2024 and May 25th, 2024, when I noticed many different articles from various news organizations!
And I used to provide a longer introduction to these news articles that I highlight regarding current news, on these types of 'updates' that I write, which used to include the name(s) of the author(s), as well as the date of publication in addition to some of the text from the articles; but, I decided a while ago to forego my usual writing format for all the current news 'updates.'
To that end, I also used to provide the title of each article with the news organization's name in addition to a hyperlink; however, I think that all of those hyperlinks to current news articles are causing my "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was" blog post to be flagged and unpublished for violating Blogger's Spam policy! (Please see my 'February 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses February 25th, 2024' that can be found above.)
Therefore, I am changing the format by which I write these current news 'updates' by first providing the original Google search category through which I found each article, as listed above, like I usually do. [Although, to clarify, sometimes the same article appears (or, articles appear) under different search categories.]
Then, I am providing the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of each article, as well as the author(s) name(s), in addition to the publishing date. That way, I am (hopefully) providing enough information about each article in order to make it possible for you, my readers, to do a search for any of the articles that I highlight by the publisher's name and the article's title—plus, you can also verify the subtitle, the author(s) name(s) and the publishing date—if you wish to read those articles too!
And for certain articles, I will include a few introductory paragraphs as a way to give more of a complete explanation to the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of these articles, which may also take the form of a kind of 'overview,' so to speak, by selecting particular paragraphs that I feel highlight the most important parts of these articles in order to summarize the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline'). I hope that makes sense!
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: AMERICAN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: UNITED STATES NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 search:
01. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
House G.O.P. Moves to Crack Down on Noncitizen Voting, Sowing False Narrative
The bills under consideration have virtually no chance of becoming law, but Republicans are using them to amplify Donald Trump’s false claims of widespread illegal voting by noncitizens.
By Luke Broadwater | May 21, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 25th, 2024 search:
02. The Guardian
Arizona secretary of state calls threats to election officials ‘domestic terrorism’
Adrian Fontes made comments on NBC panel of elections officials from states whose voters could decide 2024 presidential election
By Ramon Antonio Vargas | 24 May 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: USA NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 23rd, 2024 search:
03. USA Today
(I am a subscriber to the USA Today 'Unlimited Digital Access' Subscription.)
Donald Trump is spreading QAnon posts as he campaigns. Here's why (As Trump campaigns, he's spreading QAnon posts anew. Some call that 'playing with fire')
By Jessica Guynn and Will Carless | May 23, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PRESIDENT BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 23rd, 2024 search:
04. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
Trump Falsely Claims Biden Administration Was ‘Locked & Loaded’ to Kill Him
Former President Donald J. Trump misrepresented a standard Justice Department policy to claim the F.B.I. was ready to kill him when searching his home in 2022.
By Maggie Astor | May 22, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: JOE BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 search:
05. ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
Biden, Democrats slam video on Trump site referencing 'Unified Reich' while Republicans dodge commenting
"That’s Hitler’s language; that's not America’s," the president said.
By Justin Gomez, Allison Pecorin and Fritz Farrow | May 21, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 23rd, 2024 search:
06. CNN
This email will shock you! But it’s just Trump trying to raise money
By Zachary B. Wolf | May 22, 2024
(CNN) — Followers of former President Donald Trump were meant to be startled when they were sent an email Tuesday, addressed from “President Trump,” with this arresting subject line:
“They were authorized to shoot me!”
The preview line in the email did not back down.
“I nearly escaped death. Biden’s DOJ was locked and loaded for deadly force at Mar-a-Lago …”
Literal readers of Trump’s message might wonder: Is this a cry for help from physical harm?
But everyone should know it is just Trump asking, again, for money. ...
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: DEMOCRATS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: REPUBLICANS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 search:
07. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
Here's Why Republicans Are Focusing on Voting by Noncitizens
House Republicans are pushing legislation to crack down on voting by noncitizens, which is allowed in some local elections but illegal — and exceedingly rare — at the federal level.
By Minho Kim | May 21, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 21st, 2024 search:
08. NPR
'Abortion abolitionists' want to charge patients with murder and ban IVF (Republicans try to soften stance on abortion as 'abolitionists' go farther)
By Sarah McCammon | May 21, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 23rd, 2024 search:
09. Newsweek
Donald Trump Sees Thousands of Kentucky Republicans Vote Against Him
By Anna Skinner | May 21, 2024
GOOGLE SEARCH: REPUBLICANS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 25th, 2024 search:
10. CNN
Top Republicans are already rushing to buy into Trump’s 2024 election fraud narrative
By Stephen Collinson | Updated 12:17 AM EDT, Fri May 24, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 25th, 2024 search:
11. MSNBC News
Republicans enraged by Biden’s efforts to keep gas prices lower
President Joe Biden is taking fresh steps to help keep gas prices from climbing. For Republicans to see this as “disgusting” and “disgraceful” is bizarre.
By Steve Benen | May 24, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: POLITICAL NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORLD NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: GLOBAL WARMING NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORKERS ON STRIKE NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PORTLAND OREGON NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
Continuing on—as I mentioned above—I will occasionally read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from the daily emails that I receive from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine.
And I used to provide longer introductions to these New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles that I highlight, which included the name(s) of the author(s), as well as the date of publication in addition to some of the text from the article; but, I decided a while ago to forego my usual writing format for all The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles 'updates.'
To that end, I also used to provide the title of each article in addition to a hyperlink; however—as I mentioned above—I think that all of those hyperlinks to news articles are causing my "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was" blog post to be flagged and unpublished for violating Blogger's Spam policy! (Again, please see my 'February 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses February 25th, 2024' that can be found above.)
Therefore, I am changing the format by which I write these news 'updates' by providing the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of each article, as well as the author(s) name(s), in addition to the publishing date. That way, I am (hopefully) providing enough information about each article in order to make it possible for you, my readers, to do a search for any of the articles that I highlight by the article's title—plus, you can also verify the subtitle, the author(s) name(s) and the publishing date—if you wish to read those articles too!
And for certain articles, I will include a few introductory paragraphs as a way to give more of a complete explanation to the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of these articles, which may also take the form of a kind of 'overview,' so to speak, by selecting particular paragraphs that I feel highlight the most important parts of these articles in order to summarize the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline'). I hope that makes sense!
So, without further ado, I was doing my usual reading of the titles to The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles—including any article overviews contained within the emails—that I received for the time period of May 5th, 2024 through May 16th, 2024, when I noticed the following NYTimes.com, USAToday.com and Time.com articles!
---------------------------------------------
These are The New York Times articles which I received for the time period of May 6th, 2024 through May 16th, 2024: (I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
The following are The New York Times articles that I read on May 23rd, 2024, from an email that I received seventeen days prior on May 6th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 6th, 2024 'On Politics' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
Trump, who has celebrated violent protests, cheers campus crackdowns
Let’s start today’s newsletter with a brief news quiz.
Who said this, in reference to the clearing of protests on Columbia University’s campus last week?
“The police came in. In exactly two hours, everything was over. It was a beautiful thing to watch.”
And who said this, in reference to the attempted insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021?
“It was a beautiful day.”
The answer in both cases, of course, is former President Donald Trump, who is wielding self-serving and frequently inaccurate stories about both events as tools in his presidential campaign. He has denounced the campus protests as lawless chaos even as he depicts the Jan. 6 rioters as heroes — and appears to be trying to play one episode off the other as he seeks to sanitize his own record as president.
As he has moved in and out of his New York criminal trial and hit the campaign trail in recent weeks, Trump has tried to turn the college protests of the war in Gaza to his political benefit. He has praised the arrests of protesters, and suggested in an interview with Time magazine that he would call in the National Guard to quell protests if they were happening on his watch.
“Columbia just canceled their commencement,” Trump said Monday at the courthouse in Manhattan where he is on trial. “That shouldn’t happen.”
Trump, who frequently uses violent rhetoric — including suggesting there would be “bedlam” and “potential death and destruction” if various criminal proceedings against him moved forward — is seeking to depict President Biden as a hapless leader who cannot get the protests under control.
But Trump’s calls for order contrast sharply with the way he talks about Jan. 6, a day that saw brutal violence against police officers, which he has nonetheless turned into a talking point of his third campaign for the presidency.
He has rallied to the side of rioters arrested that day, lamented the time some have spent in jail, called them “hostages” and “unbelievable patriots,” and said he would consider pardoning them if he returns to power.
Now he is comparing the punishments meted out to the Jan. 6 rioters with those faced by college protesters, though the two events are fundamentally different.
“They took over a building. That is a big deal,” Trump said last week, referring to the Columbia protesters, wondering if their punishment would be “anything comparable” to that of the mob that broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6.
‘It was an assault on democracy’
As the Biden campaign seeks to make Jan. 6 a key plank of its case against Trump, the bubbling up of protests on campuses nationwide — and the images they have generated of clashes between protesters and counterprotesters as well as mass arrests — has made some Democrats nervous.
“How do the Democrats, how do all of us on that side, say Jan. 6 was wrong?” the Rev. Al Sharpton said on MSNBC, making comments that were quickly picked up by Fox News. “If you can have the same pictures going on college campuses, you lose the moral, you lose the moral high ground.”
But many other Democrats have been quick to say the campus protests have little in common with Jan. 6.
“What happened on Jan. 6 is a violent mob. They came and attacked the Capitol Police, they came and attacked the Capitol, it was an assault on democracy,” said Harry Dunn, a former Capitol Police officer who was at the Capitol that day. He later testified about seeing fellow officers bloodied as they fought with rioters, and about having racist slurs lobbed his way.
Dunn, who is now running for the Democratic nomination for a congressional seat in Maryland, said in an interview that members of his party needed to be clear about what happened that day — especially in response to Trump’s efforts to distort the facts.
“People are really upset about what happened, and they have a real fear about whether it can happen again,” he said.
Some Democrats are alarmed about Trump’s rhetoric, and warn that it gives his supporters a dangerous permission structure.
“Donald Trump sends a message that his supporters can break the law and commit violence whenever they’re following his cues,” said Representative Jamie Raskin of Maryland, a Democrat who was the lead manager of the unsuccessful impeachment of Trump over the events of Jan. 6 and was part of the monthslong investigation of the day’s events by a select committee in the House.
‘Everything in America is in chaos’
Some Republicans have struggled to defend the inconsistencies of calling for the prosecution of the college campus protesters while defending those accused of breaking the law on Jan. 6.
That includes Senator J.D. Vance of Ohio, a Trump ally and vice-presidential contender who was asked by Kaitlan Collins of CNN last week whether people who break in and vandalize a building should be prosecuted.
“Exactly,” Vance said, before Collins followed up by asking why he had raised money for some of the Jan. 6 defendants.
Vance accused the national media of having an “obsession” with Jan. 6, and said some of the people who had protested on Jan. 6 had the “complete weight of the Justice Department thrown at them when at worst they’re accused of misdemeanors.”
Over the weekend, some of Trump’s Republican congressional allies sought to depict the college protests as a factor that would help him in the November election.
“One of the many reasons why Donald Trump is going to win this election is you’ve got Democratic protesters out there putting a terrorist headdress on a statue of George Washington,” Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas said Sunday on ABC, apparently referring to how a protester draped a kaffiyeh over a statue of the first president at George Washington University.
“Everything in America is in chaos, from our border to our campuses,” said Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, who is also a potential Trump running mate.
It’s not clear that the strategy will work. In 2020, Trump sought to pin racial justice protests, which sometimes turned violent and led to the destruction of property, on Biden and Democratic mayors — but he still lost.
In addition to trying to use the campus protests to complain about the treatment of the Jan. 6 defendants, he also compared the demonstrations to the violence of Charlottesville, Va., in 2017, when white supremacists marched yelling antisemitic slurs and, later, a woman was killed when a car plowed into a crowd of counterprotesters.
“Charlottesville is like a ‘peanut’ compared to the riots and anti-Israel protests that are happening all over our country RIGHT NOW,” Trump wrote on his social media platform, Truth Social, late last month.
His rhetoric may be as much about cleaning up his own record as it is about attacking Biden’s. ...
Trump, Who Has Celebrated Violent Protests, Cheers Campus Crackdowns
The former president’s calls for order in college unrest contrast with how he talks about Jan. 6.
By Jess Bidgood | May 6, 2024
And the article below is from the above-mentioned May 6th, 2024 'On Politics' email:
Geoff Duncan, Georgia’s Republican Former Lt. Gov., Says He Will Vote for Biden
“I am voting for a decent person I disagree with on policy over a criminal defendant without a moral compass,” wrote Mr. Duncan, who was in office during the 2020 election.
By Maggie Astor | May 6, 2024
The following is The New York Times article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from an email that I received seventeen days prior on May 9th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 9th, 2024 'The Evening' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
...More top news
Politics: At a private meeting, Donald Trump told oil executives and lobbyists to donate $1 billion to his campaign because he would roll back climate rules. ...
At a Dinner, Trump Assailed Climate Rules and Asked $1 Billion From Big Oil
At a private meeting at Mar-a-Lago, the former president said fossil fuel companies should donate to help him beat President Biden.
By Lisa Friedman, Coral Davenport, Jonathan Swan and Maggie Haberman | May 9, 2024
The following is The New York Times article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from an email that I received sixteen days prior on May 10th, 2024:
And the article below is from the above-mentioned May 10th, 2024 'On Politics' email:
How Republicans Echo Antisemitic Tropes Despite Declaring Support for Israel
Prominent Republicans have seized on campus protests to assail what they say is antisemitism on the left. But for years they have mainstreamed anti-Jewish rhetoric.
By Karen Yourish, Danielle Ivory, Jennifer Valentino-DeVries and Alex Lemonides | May 9, 2024
The following is The New York Times article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from an email that I received fourteen days prior on May 12th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 12th, 2024 'The Morning' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
MOTHER’S DAY
For Mother’s Day, Catherine Pearson collected stories from Times readers about the mother figures in their lives — grandmothers and aunts, teachers and neighbors, and, of course, moms.
Genevieve Geer wrote about Mrs. Dunn, her friend’s mother, who “taught me that when you can’t get in through the front door, there is always a side door, or a window, to slip into the places you wanted to go.”
Judith Shapiro wrote about Ruth, her childhood nanny, who “let me stay up late on Sunday nights, curled up next to her in an overstuffed chair, watching our favorite television shows.”
Marjorie George wrote about Miss Jordan, her fifth-grade teacher, who “was a powerful example of what a Black woman could be.”
You can read many more stories in Catherine’s article, “An Ode to Those Who Mother Us.” ...
An Ode to Those
Who Mother Us
By Catherine Pearson | May 9, 2024
The following is The New York Times article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from an email that I received eleven days prior on May 15th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 15th, 2024 'The Evening' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
Inflation eased and markets hit new highs
A new inflation report released today offered consumers and policymakers some relief: April prices, with volatile food and fuel prices stripped out, rose 3.6 percent over the previous year — the lowest annual increase in so-called core inflation since early 2021.
The report, which showed a slight dip in overall inflation as well, was especially appreciated by economists who had become worried about the lack of progress after three straight months of uncomfortably rapid price increases.
“This report was mostly good news in that it wasn’t bad news,” our economics reporter Ben Casselman told me. He said that the stubborn price increases in recent months “had begun to erode confidence in the ‘soft landing’ narrative that had taken hold last year. This report doesn’t erase those concerns, but it does at least ease fears that inflation was re-accelerating.”
Today’s data showed progress on several fronts. The prices of groceries decreased outright in April. So, too, did the prices of new and used cars and airline fares. And while gasoline prices ticked up, housing costs — which have proved to be among the most stubborn — showed hints of improvement.
The news boosted the stock market’s current rally: The S&P 500 rose 1.2 percent today and surpassed its previous high set in March. Bond yields also fell as investors appeared to dial back how long they expected interest rates to stay elevated. ...
Inflation Eased and Markets Hit New Highs
Also, Biden and Trump agreed to debate in June and September. Here’s the latest at the end of Wednesday.
By Matthew Cullen | May 15, 2024
The following are The New York Times articles that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from an email that I received ten days prior on May 16th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 16th, 2024 'The Morning' email introduction to The New York Times articles below:
2024 Elections
President Biden and Donald Trump agreed to two debates, in June and September. The first will be on CNN, the second on ABC.
The Biden campaign hopes the debates, held earlier than in previous years, will force voters to confront the implications of a Trump victory.
Biden has attracted more donors* than at the same point in the 2020 campaign. Trump has fewer than he did four years ago — and fewer than Biden.
Videos featuring false claims about Biden are spreading online. Experts have linked them to Russian disinformation groups. ...
*One Area Where Biden Is Leading Trump: His Number of Donors
By Albert Sun, Scott Reinhard and Rebecca Davis O’Brien May 16, 2024
---------------------------------------------
**Russian Disinformation Videos Smear Biden Ahead of U.S. Election
Many of the videos are trying to appeal to right-wing voters with fake messages about President Biden, experts say.
By Julian E. Barnes and Steven Lee Myers | May 15, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 16th, 2024 'The Morning' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
Business and Economy
Inflation slowed last month after several increases, and the S&P 500 stock index reached a new high. “This is the first good C.P.I. report in four months,” one expert said. ...
Inflation Cooled Slightly, Offering Some Relief for Consumers and the Fed
Prices climbed 3.4 percent in April from a year earlier, a moderation after some hot inflation readings this year. Stocks rose as investors bet that the Federal Reserve could cut interest rates sooner.
By various authors | May 15, 2024
---------------------------------------------
These are the USA Today articles which I received for the time period of May 5th, 2024 through May 16th, 2024: (I am a subscriber to the USA Today 'Unlimited Digital Access' Subscription.)
The following are the USA Today articles that I read on May 23rd, 2024, from emails that I received eighteen days prior on May 5th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 5th, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Get ready to hear a lot about La Niña. Here's why.
La Niña is a natural climate pattern marked by cooler-than-average seawater in the central and eastern Pacific Ocean. Here's why that matters.
READ MORE ...
Get ready to hear a lot about La Niña. Here's why it could make hurricane season worse.
By Doyle Rice | May 4, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 5th, 2024 'Evening Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Donald Trump accuses Democrats of running 'Gestapo administration'
In an event for Republican donors on Saturday at Mar-a-Lago, Donald Trump compared the Biden administration to the Nazi secret police.
READ MORE ...
Trump accused Democrats of running a 'Gestapo administration.' Here's what the reference to Nazis means.
By George Fabe Russell | May 5, 2024
The following is the USA Today article that I read on May 23rd, 2024, from an email that I received seventeen days prior on May 6th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 6th, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Democrats say 2024 electors are afraid of political violence
Vice President Mike Pence and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi preside over the certification of Electoral College votes at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. 2020 looms over the people who sign up to cast votes for political parties on behalf of the Electoral College, which is what picks the next president.
READ MORE ...
'Terrifying': Democrats say they have plans to keep electors safe from political violence
By Phillip M. Bailey and Erin Mansfield | May 6, 2024
The following is the USA Today article that I read on May 23rd, 2024, from an email that I received fifteen days prior on May 8th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 8th, 2024 'On Politics' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Exclusive: Getting DHS on war footing for Nov. election threats
In exclusive interviews, Homeland Security Secy. Alejandro Mayorkas and top aide disclose massive election security response prior to 2024 election.
READ MORE ...
Exclusive: Homeland Security ramping up 'with intensity' to respond to election threats
By Josh Meyer | May 8, 2024
The following are the USA Today articles that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from emails that I received seventeen days prior on May 9th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 9th, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
DeSantis' new law threatens outdoor worker health
In one of the hottest states in the nation, what are outdoor workers to do when state government rescinds protections from the sun? And given only Miami-Dade County required employers to provide heat breaks to begin with, what problem is Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis trying to solve? The USA TODAY Network spoke with advocates and workers about how Florida holds municipalities to a heat standard that doesn't exist. Read more ...
No shade, no water, no breaks: DeSantis' new law threatens Florida outdoor worker health
By Kate Cimini | May 8, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 9th, 2024 'On Politics' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
House kills effort from Marjorie Taylor Greene to oust Mike Johnson
Democrats and Republicans joined together to dismiss the conservative agitator's motion to vacate against the speaker.
READ MORE ...
Mike Johnson saved: House kills effort from Marjorie Taylor Greene to oust speaker
Marina Pitofsky, Riley Beggin and Ken Tran | May 8, 2024
The following are the USA Today articles that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from emails that I received eleven days prior on May 15th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 15th, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
More news to know now
How some in the GOP are already raising 2024 election doubts ...
Trump’s doubts about election results spread among GOP and raise concern for next Jan. 6.
By Sarah D. Wire | May 15, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 15th, 2024 'Evening Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Senate intel chair: Foreign adversaries will likely target election
Sen. Mark Warner issues extraordinary warning about foreign meddling in likely rematch between President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump
READ MORE ...
Senate warns of unprecedented foreign interference in 2024 election
By Josh Meyer | May 15, 2024
The following are the USA Today articles that I read on May 26th, 2024, from emails that I received ten days prior on May 16th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 16th, 2024 'The Daily Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Inflation eases in April as prices fall for eggs, bacon and bread, CPI data shows
Inflation eased in April as declines in grocery and used car prices offset another rise in rent and gasoline. After inflation picked up notably early this year, the Labor Department’s consumer price index revealed more progress in the battle to tame prices, with an underlying inflation measure reaching a three-year low. Still, it may not be enough to convince the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates in the next couple of months. Read more ...
Inflation eases in April as prices fall for eggs, bacon and bread, CPI data shows
By Paul Davidson | May 15, 2024
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 16th, 2024 'Evening Briefing' email introduction to the USA Today article below:
Current, former lawmakers say Congress is dysfunctional. Will the infighting stop?
Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-LA) speaks to members of the press after Rep. Marjorie Taylor-Greene (R-GA) introduced a motion to vacate on the floor of the House of Representatives seeking to remove Johnson from his leadership position at the U.S. Capitol on May 08, 2024 in Washington, DC. The chaos in the House appears to be mostly over, but so is any new work to make new laws.
READ MORE ...
Current and former lawmakers know Congress is dysfunctional. Will the infighting stop before the election?
By Ken Tran | May 16, 2024
---------------------------------------------
These are the Time Magazine articles which I received for the time period of May 10th, 2024 through May 14th, 2024: (I am a subscriber to the Time Magazine 'INSIDER Digital' Subscription.)
The following is the Time Magazine article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from 'The Brief' email that I received sixteen days prior on May 10th, 2024:
Campus Protests Are Called Disruptive. So Was the Civil Rights Movement
By Jeanne Theoharis | May 9, 2024
The following is the Time Magazine article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from 'Inside Time' email that I received fifteen days prior on May 11th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 11th, 2024 email introduction to the Time Magazine article below:
It's getting harder to give birth in America
This past week we launched TIME100 Health, our newest TIME100 list that seeks to recognize the most influential doctors, scientists, and researchers alongside others working to make a healthier world.
On a recent reporting trip to Birmingham, Ala., TIME's Alana Semuels saw first-hand the difficulties that many of those providers and their supporters are up against as she covered a troubling trend. In the last fifteen years hundreds of maternity wards have closed around the country, including Princeton Baptist Medical Center in Birmingham, which shut its doors last October. Labor and delivery units are often in the red. Doctors are leaving the industry, with many saying their work is undervalued by private and public insurance providers.
These trends have adversely impacted vulnerable communities and hurt the quality of maternal care in the United States, doctors and researchers say. It’s something that feels particularly resonant this weekend, when we celebrate Mother’s Day in the United States.
Semuels, who this year won an award for her journalism from the Society for Advancing Business Editing and Writing, is an expert at showing how economic trends influence the lives of TIME’s readers. Her reporting from Alabama was supported by the USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism’s 2023 Impact Fund for Reporting on Health Equity and Health Systems. ...
Why Maternity Care Is Underpaid
By Alana Semuels | May 7, 2024
The following is the Time Magazine article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from 'Inside Time' email that I received fifteen days prior on May 11th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 11th, 2024 email introduction to the Time Magazine article below:
What Student Photojournalists Saw at the Campus Protests
Following weeks of demonstrations, photographers from schools across the country share their images and reflections.
Read more. ...
What America’s Student Photojournalists Saw at the Campus Protests
By Sanya Mansoor | Photographs by the student journalists of The Daily Bruin, The Daily Northwestern, The Daily Princetonian, The Daily Targum, The Daily Texan, Daily Trojan, The Gw Hatchet, The Indiana Daily Student, The Michigan Daily, and The Vanderbilt Hustler | Introduction by Karl Vick | May 9, 2024
The following is the Time Magazine article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from 'The Brief' email that I received fourteen days prior on May 12th, 2024:
My Mother Needed Mental Health Treatment. She Got a Jail Cell
By Nina St. Pierre | May 9, 2024
The following is the Time Magazine article that I read today, May 26th, 2024, from 'Daily Spotlight' email that I received twelve days prior on May 14th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 14th, 2024 email introduction to the Time Magazine article below:
Women Say They Were Pressured Into Long-Term Birth Control
"I don't have faith in doctors anymore."
A TIME investigation found doctors are more likely to push long-term contraceptives when treating Black, Latina, young, and low-income women.
Read more. ...
‘I Don’t Have Faith in Doctors Anymore.’ Women Say They Were Pressured Into Long-Term Birth Control
By Alana Semuels | May 13, 2024
And I decided to highlight these articles from the various news organizations above via Google news searches—as well as from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine—for you, my readers, to consider reading too! –Paul Whiting (written May 26th, 2024, revised May 28th, 2024 and revised June 21st, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For my "May 27th, 2024 Update No. 1, Written On May 23rd, 2024"—since this 'update' is a part of my ⋆USO⋆ donations—please see my blog post titled, "My Point Of View On...Giving Charity And Accepting Charity," which can be found on both of my "Paul Whiting — Math Magician" and "Paul Whiting — A Creative Writer" blogs. An introduction to the 'update' can be found below:
May 27th, 2024 Update No. 1, Written On May 23rd, 2024: Have a Memorable Memorial Day, everyone. I signed a Memorial Day card "to honor the military heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our country" from the USO (United Service Organizations) today, May 23rd, 2024, that I received today via an email with the subject line, "Before you celebrate Memorial Day weekend…", which stated the following:
SIGN THE CARD
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
HONOR OUR SERVICE MEMBERS BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
ADD YOUR NAME***
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Paul,
Before Memorial Day weekend arrives, we want to make sure we all take a moment to remember what this holiday is really about: honoring the heroes who've made the ultimate sacrifice for our country — and those currently risking their lives to defend our freedoms.
We're counting on 100,000 proud military supporters like you to sign the card via email and text message before Memorial Day ends to show your support for active-duty service members deployed around the world: Will you join thousands of other military supporters and thank our heroes before midnight?
THANK OUR HEROES
Right now, our service members are facing emerging threats from the Iranian military in the Middle East and increased hostility from the governments of Niger and Chad.
In the face of these escalating conflicts around the world, your gratitude and support right now mean so much to our service members risking their lives for our country.
So please, don't miss this chance to honor the fallen and show all our heroes in uniform serving across the globe how much you appreciate everything they do for us. Sign the card now to thank our service members this Memorial Day.
THANK OUR HEROES
Thank you for standing with those who serve this Memorial Day.
The USO
SIGN THE CARD***
***[I used to include hyperlinks contained within the email messages, or the text messages, to which I am referring in these "Activism Updates"; however, I could not figure out how to include the aforementioned hyperlinks, regarding some relevant action that I had taken—such as signing a petition, sending a letter or message to my representative(s) in Congress, signing a USO 'Thank You' card, and/or making a donation—without including my personal information.]
Plus, after I signed the card, I made a one-time donation on the USO.org website to say to our troops, "As we honor our military heroes this Memorial Day, we want you to know how grateful we are for your courageous service and the immense sacrifices you make every day to protect our country." ...
Please see the hyperlinks below for the post, within which you can do a find-in-page search for the 'update' labeled, "May 27th, 2024 Update No. 1, Written On May 23rd, 2024":
https://paulwhitingmath.blogspot.com/2015/05/my-point-of-view-on-charity.html
https://paulwhitingwriting.blogspot.com/2022/07/my-point-of-view-on-part-16-giving-to.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 27th, 2024 Update No. 2 [My Writing About IAVA's National Moment Of Silence, A.K.A. "The #GoSilent Campaign" (for 2024)]:
For Memorial Day 2024, I participated in the IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America) national moment of silence "as our troops continue to be deployed in harm’s way to places like Iraq and Syria," which is why "this is also a good time to remind ourselves of those who keep stepping up and volunteering to risk their lives in order to keep us safe here at home every day." That is why I made the pledge to "#GoSilent with [IAVA] today at 3:00 PM local time to make sure that the sacrifice of the fallen is not forgotten, and to help us remind America of the true meaning behind Memorial Day." And I also made a donation to the IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America) in order to show my support for IAVA's #GoSilent Campaign and for our U.S. Veterans. –Paul Whiting (written May 27th, 2024 and revised May 28th, 2026)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses May 27th, 2024, As Well As May 24th, 2024: This 'update' that I am writing today, May 31st, 2024, is combined from my news searches on Google, which I do as often as I can manage—as well as from my occasional reading of The New York Times articles and Time Magazine articles that I received via email—for the total time period of May 24th, 2024 through May 31st, 2024.
Please let me explain: I have been busy with a lot of "Online Activism" lately that takes an enormous amount of time and energy to write about, which consists of various topics that each require their own 'updates!' Besides that, I have often been engaged in editing my five blogs—whenever I notice that any of my writing needs to be revised or corrected—which can take hours to complete depending upon how much editing I have to do!
So, because I have been so busy lately with "Online Activism," and also with the editing of my five blogs, I have just been reading the titles of The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles that I receive from their daily emails. Then, I will occasionally read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those emails that I highlight in these 'updates.'
That is why I recently signed up to receive email newsletters from the news organizations to which I subscribe in order for me to stay informed about what's happening in the world. And I was formerly writing separate 'updates' for each of the news articles that I read from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles; however, after I restarted writing these news 'updates' from my news searches on Google (which I stopped doing for a while), I also decided to restart writing the 'updates' from the above-mentioned news organizations to which I subscribe, but as a combined 'update.'
Thus, I am checking the news through Google searches again, like used to do, as often as I can manage it. You see, I used to keep up with the news virtually on a daily basis, because there is typically that much news every day; however, I am now simply checking the news via Google searches as often as I can manage to do so. And, I usually check what's happening in the world via various Google searches that I do under the following topics:
American News
United States News
USA News
President Biden News
Joe Biden News
Democrats News
Republicans News
Political News
World News
Global Warming News
Workers On Strike News
Portland Oregon News
Then, I read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from those Google news searches.
So, without further ado, I was doing my occasional news searches on Google for May 27th, 2024 and May 31st, 2024, when I noticed many different articles from various news organizations!
And I used to provide a longer introduction to these news articles that I highlight regarding current news, on these types of 'updates' that I write, which used to include the name(s) of the author(s), as well as the date of publication in addition to some of the text from the articles; but, I decided a while ago to forego my usual writing format for all the current news 'updates.'
To that end, I also used to provide the title of each article with the news organization's name in addition to a hyperlink; however, I think that all of those hyperlinks to current news articles are causing my "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was" blog post to be flagged and unpublished for violating Blogger's Spam policy! (Please see my 'February 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses February 25th, 2024' that can be found above.)
Therefore, I am changing the format by which I write these current news 'updates' by first providing the original Google search category through which I found each article, as listed above, like I usually do. [Although, to clarify, sometimes the same article appears (or, articles appear) under different search categories.]
Then, I am providing the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of each article, as well as the author(s) name(s), in addition to the publishing date. That way, I am (hopefully) providing enough information about each article in order to make it possible for you, my readers, to do a search for any of the articles that I highlight by the publisher's name and the article's title—plus, you can also verify the subtitle, the author(s) name(s) and the publishing date—if you wish to read those articles too!
And for certain articles, I will include a few introductory paragraphs as a way to give more of a complete explanation to the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of these articles, which may also take the form of a kind of 'overview,' so to speak, by selecting particular paragraphs that I feel highlight the most important parts of these articles in order to summarize the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline'). I hope that makes sense!
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: AMERICAN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 27th, 2024 search:
01. CBS News
Low percentage of Americans in military is "deeply problematic as a democracy," Rep. Pat Ryan says
Rep. Pat Ryan warned of Americans losing touch with "those that are fighting our wars and their families," saying "we have to figure out how...
By Kaia Hubbard | Updated on: May 26, 2024 / 4:12 PM EDT
Washington — Rep. Pat Ryan said Sunday that he sees the divide between the small share of Americans — less than 1% — who are active-duty service members in the U.S. military and the rest of the country as "deeply problematic as a democracy."
"When you lose touch between those that are fighting our wars and their families and everyone else, that's something so essential that we have to figure out how to bring folks together, and get more folks serving," Ryan said on "Face the Nation" ahead of Memorial Day. ...
---------------------------------------------
May 27th, 2024 search:
02. The Guardian
US president warns new army officers to be ‘guardians of American democracy’
President entreats graduates at commencement to ‘hold fast’ to oath to US constitution in veiled reference to Trump’s threat to democracy
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: UNITED STATES NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
03. Reuters
Trump supporters call for riots and violent retribution after verdict
By Joseph Tanfani, Ned Parker and Peter Eisler | May 31, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
04. CNN
Right-wing media figures vow revenge after Trump‘s conviction
By Oliver Darcy, CNN | Updated 7:27 AM EDT, Fri May 31, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: USA NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PRESIDENT BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 27th, 2024 search:
05. Politico
Biden urges 'constant vigilance' to maintain democracy in West Point speech
Biden never mentioned former President Donald Trump by name, but the themes of his commencement address had clear political undertones.
By Lauren Egan | 05/25/2024
---------------------------------------------
May 27th, 2024 search:
06. The New York Times
(I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
Biden Delivers Commencement Address at West Point Military Academy
President Biden’s commencement address comes at a moment of military upheaval abroad, university protests at home and a looming rematch with former President Donald J. Trump.
By Michael D. Shear | May 25, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: JOE BIDEN NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 27th, 2024 search:
07. AP News
Biden tells West Point graduates they'll face threats 'like none before' (Biden’s message to West Point graduates: You’re being asked to tackle threats ‘like none before’)
By Zeke Miller | Updated 1:14 PM PDT, May 25, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
08. USA Today
'Reckless': President Joe Biden blasts Donald Trump for calling guilty trial verdict 'rigged'
By Bart Jansen | May 31, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
09. Newsweek
Joe Biden Gets Good Sign from New Poll
By Nick Mordowanec | May 31, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: DEMOCRATS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: REPUBLICANS NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
10. AP News
Republican lawmakers react with fury to Trump verdict and rally to his defense
By Mary Clare Jalonick | Updated 6:23 PM PDT, May 30, 2024
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
11. USA Today
Trump babbles incoherently about conviction. GOP should be afraid (Guilty Trump's press conference was a disaster. Republicans need to replace him – fast.)
Where are the calls on the right to replace this 77-year-old felon who can't talk straight with a newer, less legally encumbered version?
By Rex Huppke | May 31, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: POLITICAL NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 27th, 2024 search:
12. CNN
Trump loudly booed at Libertarian convention when he asks attendees to ‘nominate me or at least vote for me’
By Kate Sullivan, Aaron Pellish and Steve Contorno | Updated 11:26 PM EDT, Sun May 26, 2024
Washington, DC (CNN) — Former President Donald Trump was loudly and consistently booed throughout his speech Saturday at the Libertarian Party’s national convention, particularly when he asked attendees to “nominate me or at least vote for me.”
The heckling began the moment the former president took the stage, and some of his supporters in the room tried to drown out the boos with chants of “We want Trump.”
“Now I think you should nominate me or at least vote for me, and we should win together,” Trump said. “Because the Libertarians want to vote for me … and it’s very important because we have to get rid of the worst president in history.”
Trump added, “Only do that if you want to win; if you want to lose, don’t do that. Keep getting your 3% every four years.” (In 2016, Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson earned more than 3% of the popular vote – a high point in the party’s history.)
Trump left the stage after 34 minutes, marking one of his shortest campaign speeches to date. ...
By the way, I also watched the video accompanying the article above that is titled, "Watch Trump react to getting booed at Libertarian convention."
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
13. NBC News
Trump's potential running mates pile on judge and jury after guilty verdict
It was a fast and furious political coda to a trial that had served as an unofficial audition stage for prospective running mates looking to show their loyalty.
By Henry J. Gomez | May 30, 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORLD NEWS
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
14. NBC News
Trump guilty makes news headlines around the world
The announcement that Donald Trump had been found guilty by a jury in New York on 34 felony counts made headlines in newscasts around the world.
[No author(s) name(s) indicated] | May 31, 2024
By the way, the 'article' above is actually a video, which is why I didn't include the author(s) name(s).
---------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 search:
15. Al Jazeera
After Trump guilty verdict, US divisions deepen as Russia extends sympathy
While Democrats rejoice and Republicans agonise, international reactions on the historic guilty verdict pour in.
[No author(s) name(s) indicated] | 31 May 2024
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: GLOBAL WARMING NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: WORKERS ON STRIKE NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
GOOGLE SEARCH: PORTLAND OREGON NEWS
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from this category.
---------------------------------------------
Continuing on—as I mentioned above—I will occasionally read the news articles that I feel are the most important for me to read from the daily emails that I receive from The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine.
And I used to provide longer introductions to these New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles that I highlight, which included the name(s) of the author(s), as well as the date of publication in addition to some of the text from the article; but, I decided a while ago to forego my usual writing format for all The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles 'updates.'
To that end, I also used to provide the title of each article in addition to a hyperlink; however—as I mentioned above—I think that all of those hyperlinks to news articles are causing my "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was" blog post to be flagged and unpublished for violating Blogger's Spam policy! (Again, please see my 'February 26th, 2024 Update No. 1, Which Also Discusses February 25th, 2024' that can be found above.)
Therefore, I am changing the format by which I write these news 'updates' by providing the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of each article, as well as the author(s) name(s), in addition to the publishing date. That way, I am (hopefully) providing enough information about each article in order to make it possible for you, my readers, to do a search for any of the articles that I highlight by the article's title—plus, you can also verify the subtitle, the author(s) name(s) and the publishing date—if you wish to read those articles too!
And for certain articles, I will include a few introductory paragraphs as a way to give more of a complete explanation to the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline') of these articles, which may also take the form of a kind of 'overview,' so to speak, by selecting particular paragraphs that I feel highlight the most important parts of these articles in order to summarize the meaning of the title (or, 'headline') and the subtitle (or, 'subheadline'). I hope that makes sense!
So, without further ado, I was doing my usual reading of the titles to The New York Times, USA Today and Time Magazine articles—including any article overviews contained within the emails—that I received for the time period of May 24th, 2024 through May 31st, 2024, when I noticed the following NYTimes.com and Time.com articles!
---------------------------------------------
This is The New York Times article which I received for May 24th, 2024: (I am a subscriber to The New York Times 'Basic Access' Digital Subscription.)
The following is The New York Times article that I read on May 30th, 2024, from an email that I received six days prior on May 24th, 2024:
And the excerpt below is from the above-mentioned May 24th, 2024 'On Politics' email introduction to The New York Times article below:
Trump's Pattern of Sowing Election Doubt Intensifies in 2024
A false, familiar claim by the former president - that the contest in which he's participating is "rigged" - has reached a fever pitch in this cycle. ...
Trump’s Pattern of Sowing Election Doubt Intensifies in 2024
By Karen Yourish and Charlie Smart | May 24, 2024
By the way, I also watched all of the videos accompanying the article above that are labeled, and dated, as follows:
[1] "Mr. Trump first raised questions about the 2016 election in August of that year, about 100 days before the election." | Aug. 21, 2016
[2] "He did so earlier — and more frequently — before the 2020 election." | June 26, 2019
[3] "But in the 2024 cycle, the falsehoods have been baked in since Mr. Trump announced his candidacy, almost two years before Election Day. They show no signs of subsiding." | Nov. 18, 2022
---------------------------------------------
I did not select any articles from USA Today.
---------------------------------------------
This is the Time Magazine article which I received for May 31st, 2024: (I am a subscriber to the Time Magazine 'INSIDER Digital' Subscription.)
The following is the Time Magazine article that I read today, May 31st, 2024, from 'The Brief' email that I received today:
What Happens Next Now That Trump Has Been Convicted? Your Questions, Answered
By Nik Popli | MAY 21, 2024
And I decided to highlight these articles from the various news organizations above via Google news searches—as well as from The New York Times and Time Magazine—for you, my readers, to consider reading too! –Paul Whiting (written May 31st, 2024, revised June 6th, 2024 and revised June 21st, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 Update No. 2: I received an email from PlantBasedTreaty.org today, May 31st, 2024, with the subject line, "Urgent: Ask your representative to oppose new language in the Farm Bill", which stated the following:
US Farm Bill seeks to undo more than a dozen state laws on the treatment of farm animals
Contact your representative today
On May 24, the House Agriculture Committee passed their version of the Farm Bill, which contains dangerous language attempting to “fix” Proposition 12, which is known as the strongest law we have on farmed animal welfare. In reality, the language of this Bill is a hand-out to giant multinational pig farms that want to keep farm animals locked in cruel and extreme confinement.
Hundreds of other state laws relating to animal welfare, animal products, sales regulations, standards for disease and quarantine control, toxic materials, and more are also at risk.
We need you to act NOW to stop this bill from advancing any further. If we don’t succeed, even the most basic protections for animals could disappear, dooming animals to even more cruelty and suffering.
Email your representative:
https://secured.humanesociety.org/page/149570/action/1
Phone your representative:
https://hslf.org/action-center/nix-prop-12-fix
And, after I read the email above, I clicked on the hyperlink to the referenced webpage, the relevant text of which can be found below:
THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES
Nix the Prop 12 "Fix"!
A monumental threat is facing animals in our country, and we need your help to stop it!
Ever since the Supreme Court of the United States upheld the strongest farm animal protection law in the country—California's Proposition 12—lobbyists representing only a segment of the pork industry have pushed for a so-called "fix"—a "fix" that is not at all necessary. And now it's clear that their allies in Congress are going to try and use the Farm Bill to implement their so-called "fix."
The proposed partisan Farm Bill in the U.S. House of Representatives contains language that aims to invalidate Prop 12 and could also wipe out hundreds of other state laws not only relating to animal welfare and animal products, but also how states regulate the sales of products within their own borders, set standards for disease and quarantine control, toxic materials and more.
Animals (and people) need your help to stop the unraveling of even the most basic protections.
TAKE ACTION
Please make a brief, polite phone call to your U.S. Representative and two U.S. Senators and urge them to oppose the Prop 12 "fix" in the Farm Bill. You can find their contact information here (https://secured.humanesociety.org/page/78532/action/1?chain). You can simply say, "Prop 12 and other state animal welfare laws do not need to be "fixed." As your constituent, I urge you to oppose language in the Farm Bill that seeks to nullify state animal protection laws."
Calling is so important. Please do not skip this crucial step. Then, personalize and submit to send a follow-up message.
[Blogger's Note: Rather than calling my U.S. Representative and Senators, I wrote to them instead, since I usually communicate in writing to my Representative and Senators—that way, I have a written record of what I communicated.]
YOUR MESSAGE
Subject: Please oppose language in the Farm Bill that seeks to nullify state animal protection laws!
Dear Legislator,
I am writing to urge you to oppose the Prop 12 "fix" in the Farm Bill or any language that seeks to nullify state animal protection laws. Prop 12 and the hundreds of other state laws this language would target don't need to be fixed.
The language contained in the Farm Bill proposed by House Republicans would likely invalidate not only Prop 12, but hundreds of other state laws regulating the sales of products within their own borders and setting standards for disease and quarantine control, toxic materials and more.
Eliminating laws like Proposition 12 would harm U.S. farmers who have relied on these state laws, made substantial investments to meet consumer demand for more humanely raised food, and are now seeing the benefits of their commitment. Fifteen. states have addressed intensive confinement of farm animals and nearly 80% of American voters—including nearly equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats—support enactment in their own states of a law to protect farm animals.
I hope you will stand firmly against this massive federal overreach by opposing the Prop 12 "fix" in the Farm Bill or any language that seeks to nullify state animal protection laws.
Thank you.
Signed,
[Your Name]
[Your Address]
[City, State ZIP]
YOUR INFORMATION
First name: Paul
Last name: Whiting
Email address: [redacted]
Street address: [redacted]
Apartment, suite or other: [redacted]
City: [redacted]
State: [redacted]
Zip code: [redacted]
Phone number: [redacted]
Send Your Message
And so, I sent the letter above to my U.S. Representative and Senators, via The Humane Society of the United States website, in order to urge them "to oppose the Prop 12 'fix' in the Farm Bill or any language that seeks to nullify state animal protection laws." –Paul Whiting (May 31st, 2024)
P.S.: Just so you know, I used to make one-time donations to the organization that is the subject of these 'updates' each time that I took an action as requested by that organization; however, "I have changed the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month ... due to the fact that I have been spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations." (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.) Therefore, "I am really 'tightening my belt,' so to speak, with regard to all of the donations that I am making on my credit card each month! My plan is to only donate to political, progressive and charitable organizations if they specifically ask for donations—and not just for the sake of donating to them at least once per month, or even when I have been taking some sort of action, such as signing a petition, or sending a letter, etc. Thus, I am trying to greatly reduce the number of donations that I make to simply once in a while, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis! You see, there are a lot of organizations that I literally donate to only once per year—such as for Giving Tuesday—which is all that I ever donate to them. And that is basically what I am striving for, so that I am still donating to political, progressive and charitable organizations, but the bare minimum that I can donate, since that's all I can really afford." [Please see my 'August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 4, Written On December 1st, 2023 About November 2023' (that also appears as 'November 30th, 2023 Update No. 2, Written On December 1st, 2023' on some of my blogs), which can be found above.]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
May 31st, 2024 Update No. 3, Written On June 1st, 2024 About May 2024 (Originally From My Blog Post Titled, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," Which Is On My "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" Blog): This 'update' is special, since I am continuing to change the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations each month! And because I first changed the way that I make donations starting in August 2023, this update is also technically a follow-up to the following:
▪ August 19th, 2023 Update
▪ August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 1, Written On August 31st, 2023
▪ August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 2, Written On October 1st, 2023 About September 2023
▪ August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 3, Written On November 1st, 2023 About October 2023
▪ August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 4, Written On December 1st, 2023 About November 2023
▪ August 19th, 2023 Update—Follow-Up No. 5, Written On January 1st, 2024 About December 2023
Besides that, because this is the year 2024—where I am continuing to change the way that I make donations to political, progressive and charitable organizations that I started changing in 2023—this update is also a follow-up to the following:
▪ January 31st, 2024 Update No. 3, Written On February 1st, 2024 About January 2024
▪ February 29th, 2024 Update No. 3, Written On March 1st, 2024 About February 2024
▪ March 31st, 2024 Update No. 6, Written On April 2nd, 2024 About March 2024
▪ April 30th, 2024 Update No. 2, Written On May 1st, 2024 About April 2024
Please let me explain: I spent A LOT the year before last (2022) because I was "doing everything in my power to help Democrats win in the 2022 Midterm Elections!" And I also spent QUITE A BIT last year (2023) because I was trying to 'put my money where my mouth is' regarding my activism throughout the year. And so, I ended up with a rather considerable credit card balance...
...Now, this is my only credit card—that I got through my regular bank—and I was enjoying an interest-free period on my charges up until August 2023! Thus, my carefree days of not paying for any interest on my credit card balance were officially over last year. And my minimum payments were going to be a rather large percentage of the amount that I had set aside in my monthly budget for my minimum payment, as well as my extra payment, on my credit card each month.
So, in response to this change in my minimum payments, I changed the way that I donated to political, progressive and charitable organizations, starting in 2023, due to the fact that I was spending a considerable percentage of my monthly income on all of these donations in 2023—as outlined below—starting with January of 2023.
January 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 15%
February 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 19%
March 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 12%
April 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 17%
May 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 21%
June 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 20%
July 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 17%
August 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 23%
September 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 20%
October 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 31%
November 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 71%
December 2023:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 31%
And so, if I average out the total percentage in 2023 that I spent on political, progressive and charitable organizations from January 2023 through December 2023, it comes out to be 25% of my monthly income! (The reader should know that I am HIV-positive with full-blown AIDS. And I am on Social Security Disability Insurance, or SSDI, so my income is quite limited.)
That is the reason I started really "tightening my belt," so to speak, with regard to all of the donations that I am making on my credit card each month! So, my plan is to only donate to political, progressive and charitable organizations if they specifically ask for donations—and not just for the sake of donating to them at least once per month, or even when I have been taking some sort of action, such as signing a petition, or sending a letter, etc. Thus, I am trying to greatly reduce the number of donations that I make to simply once in a while, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis!
You see, there are a lot of organizations that I literally donate to only once per year—such as for Giving Tuesday—which is all that I ever donate to them. And that is basically what I am striving for, so that I am still donating to political, progressive and charitable organizations, but the bare minimum that I can donate, since that's all I can really afford.
Therefore, I am no longer donating for every one of the email or text messages that I receive (to which I choose to respond), which are requesting me to take action that also come from the same organization, with the exception of the USO (United Service Organizations), or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. And I am reducing how much I donate for the regular mail requests that I receive (to which I choose to respond) to take action.
That is why I will still be responding to some of the email or text messages that I receive (to which I choose to respond), which are requesting me to take action, as well as to some of the regular mail requests that I receive (to which I choose to respond), which are requesting me to take action; however, when I do donate, I am reducing the number of times that I donate for the same organization per month down to once—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis—in addition to reducing the amount that I donate to organizations from which I receive mailers.
Thus, when I do donate, I will only be donating once per month for each political, progressive or charitable organization, with the exception of the USO, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis. (You see, I make a recurring monthly donation to the USO in order to show my support for our U.S. Military Personnel! Plus, I usually make one-time donations to the USO each month—as often as I can manage when they request a donation via email or text message. Therefore, I am planning to continue making one-time donations to the USO in the future, as often as I can manage to make donations, in addition to making the aforementioned recurring monthly donation.)
In addition to that, as of March 21st, 2024, I am no longer donating to individual political campaigns for the foreseeable future—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis (such as to Joe Biden's campaign for President of the United States, or to local campaigns here in Oregon), but I am not donating like I have been up until this point—which has been virtually every time that I have received a political campaign donation request via email or text message—because I seriously cannot afford to donate that much for the rest of the 2024 Presidential Election cycle, as well as for the foreseeable future.
And I have made this decision based upon how much these individual political campaign donations are costing in my 'monthly donating budget'—even though I have only been donating $3.00 with a $0.21 tip to ActBlue. However, it's still more than I can afford given my 'monthly donating budget,' which is why I have decided to stop donating to individual political campaigns entirely—or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis, as mentioned above.
And to clarify one more thing: In the past, I used to only donate to the main Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations—rather than to individual campaigns—since that's all I really could afford given my 'monthly spending budget,' because I am "low income." Plus, those Democratic fundraising and coordinating organizations help all of the individual political campaigns with funding, which is why I used to only donate to those main organizations. And I only started donating to individual political campaigns in 2022, since I was "doing everything in my power to help Democrats win in the 2022 Midterm Elections!" Therefore, this decision to stop donating to individual political campaigns (with the exception of presidential campaigns and local campaigns, or as determined by me on a case-by-case basis) is really just going back to the way that I used to make political donations.
And now that yesterday, May 31st, 2024, was the last day of May 2024, I wanted to provide you with May's total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations:
May 2024:
Total percentage of my monthly income for political, progressive and charitable donations: 17.14% {17.14267269205%}
And here are the percentages that I have spent on political, progressive and charitable organizations by category, as outlined within my monthly budget:
[01] USO (United Serv. Orgs.): 4.52% {4.51904454486%}
[02] DGA (Dem. Govern. Assoc.): 0.41% {0.41446094254%}
[03] BFP (Biden for President): 0.41% {0.41446094254%}
[04] DCCC (Dem. Congress. Cam. Comm.): 0.41% {0.41446094254%}
[05] Song for Charlie: 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
[06] News Organizations: 0.65% {0.64557779212%}
[07] ACLU (Amer. Civ. Lib. Union): 0.65% {0.64557779212%}
[08] UFW (Unite. Farm Work.): 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
[09] PPFA (Plan. Parent. Feder. of Amer.): 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
[10] BVF (Biden Victory Fund): 0.35% {0.34538411878%}
[11] DASS (Dem. Assoc. Secr. of State): 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[12] DAGA (Dem. Attorneys. Gen. Assoc.): 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[13] DLCC (Dem. Legis. Cam. Comm.): 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[14] DSCC (Dem. Senate. Cam. Comm.): 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[15] DNC (Dem. Nation. Cam. Comm.): 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[16] VoteVets: 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[17] DPO (Dem. Party of Ore.): 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
[18] EMILYs List: 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[19] Jane Fonda Climate PAC: 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[20] Voters of Tomorrow PAC: 0.28% {0.27630729502%}
[21] Non-Categorized Political: 0.65% {0.64557779212%}
[22] Rolling Sea PAC: 0.35% {0.34538411878%}
[23] March For Our Lives: 0.67% {0.66881859264%}
[24] Monthly Political: 2.32% {2.32408005164%}
[25] Voto Latino: 0.35% {0.34538411878%}
-------Please see [26] below-------
[27] Toys for Tots: 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
[28] Street Roots: 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
[29] Brady United: 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
[30] Ban Assault Weapons NOW: 0.35% {0.34538411878%}
[31] IAVA (Iraq & Afghan. Vet. of Amer.): 0.32% {0.32278889606%}
Monthly Income Total Percentage Calculation:
4.52%
+ 1.23% {3 x 0.41%}
+ 2.56% {8 x 0.32%}
+ 1.95% {3 x 0.65%}
+ 1.40% {4 x 0.35%}
+ 2.49% {9 x 0.28% approximately}
+ 0.67%
+ 2.32%
= 17.14%
Plus, here are the percentages that I have spent on interest and credit card purchases—in addition to a Time Magazine subscription payment—as outlined within my monthly budget:
[26] Monthly Interest: 7.95% {7.94577146546%}
Total Percentage of Monthly Income from Interest and Purchases: 7.95%
Grand Total Percentage of Monthly Income for May 2024: 25.09% {25.08844415752%}
And starting in 2024, I totally changed the way that I approach how I calculate what I am spending on my credit card each month! So now, I take the total amount that I have available in my monthly budget for my minimum payment on my credit card—as well as my extra payment—and I calculate how much I am reducing that amount each time that I charge on my credit card.
That way, I am very aware of the amount by which I am reducing my total available credit card payments for the month (the minimum payment and the extra payment) in order to, hopefully, pay more on my credit card than I am spending! Plus, I am also utilizing some funds from my budgeted expenses, as well as some funds from my savings, to make sure that I am paying a little more than I am spending while—at the same time—I am also trying to spend less on my credit card.
For example, I made one set of donations for the month of May 2024 (on May 12th) to Democratic fundraising and coordinating political organizations—and to one campaign—regarding the national races for the House of Representatives (the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee), the Senate (the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee) and the President of the United States (the Democratic National Committee and Biden for President, or the Biden Victory Fund), as well as the state races for the Governors (the Democratic Governors Association), the Secretaries of State (the Democratic Association of Secretaries of State), the Attorneys General (the Democratic Attorneys General Association) and the State Legislatures (the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee), during this fifth month of the year for the 2024 Presidential Election.
That is why I am trying to contribute, during each month of 2024, as much as I am able to donate to Democratic political organizations—as well as to Democratic political campaigns—while I am still trying to stay within a 'monthly donating budget,' since that's all I can really afford! Now, that means I can only donate ONCE for the entire month to each of the above-mentioned seven organizations (and one campaign!) in order to stay within my 'monthly donating budget.' Period. And that is how I am planning to budget for my credit card charges in order to see if it is "feasible for the foreseeable future" (say that three times fast!), or if I need to adjust this new credit card budget even more.
Therefore, the reason that I am explaining all of this donating and budgeting is because I am trying to be an "Online Activist" and to 'put my money where my mouth is' regarding my activism. That is why I blog about which political, progressive and charitable organizations I am supporting with regard to the causes that are the most important to me! –Paul Whiting (written June 1st, 2024, revised August 1st, 2024 and revised September 4th, 2024)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
For my complete political, progressive and charitable donation updates—that include all of my current "Online Activism"—please see my original blog post titled, "I Am No Longer Being An Activist In The Same Way That I Was," which can be found on my "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" blog.
Please see the hyperlink below for the post:
https://poetartistandphilosopher.blogspot.com/2016/11/i-am-no-longer-being-activist.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This "Poet, Artist and Philosopher" Post No. 154 was edited on September 25th, 2026.
"Prose is using all of the words that are necessary in order to describe all that is necessary to describe." –Paul Whiting [June 1st, 2022]
"Poetry is using the fewest words possible in order to describe all that is possible to describe." –Paul Whiting [June 1st, 2022]
